- Deadline lapses in Peru for illegal gold miners Updated: Apr-19-14 2:16 pm
- Peru volcano prompts evacuation of 4,000 Updated: Apr-17-14 3:04 pm
- Inmates rock Peru prison with 'Superstar Updated: Apr-16-14 4:04 pm
- GlencoreXstrata selling Peruvian mine for $5.85B Updated: Apr-14-14 2:38 am
- Peru state a violent 'mini-dictatorship' Updated: Apr-13-14 1:20 am
- Peru arrests 28 in group tied to Shining Path Updated: Apr-10-14 6:33 pm
- Vallejo slaying suspect arrested in Peru Updated: Apr-04-14 8:14 am
- 18 wounded in clash over wildcat mining in Peru Updated: Apr-03-14 7:37 pm
- Chinese-owned mine paralyzed 3rd day in Peru Updated: Apr-01-14 12:13 am
- Spanish-led consortium to build Peru subway lines Updated: Mar-29-14 11:49 am
- Peruvian club fined $12,000 for racist fan chants Updated: Mar-24-14 8:34 pm
LIMA, Peru - The clock has run out for an estimated 40,000 illegal gold miners who had until Saturday to legalize their status in a region of southeastern Peru where fortune-seekers have ravaged rainforests and contaminated rivers. The government's vow to enforce a ban on illegal mining is raising fears of bloody confrontations.
LIMA, Peru - Peruvian authorities have ordered the preventative evacuation of 4,000 people living near the Ubinas volcano, which has been spouting ash clouds up to 2 miles (nearly 4 kilometers) high.
LIMA, Peru - Inmates have rocked a Peruvian prison with a Holy Week performance of the musical "Jesus Christ Superstar."
BEIJING - A group of Chinese state-owned companies is buying a Peruvian copper mine from Glencore Xstrata Plc for $5.85 billion, adding to a wave of Chinese resource acquisitions abroad.
CHIMBOTE, Peru - One by one, the senior officials from the capital took the microphone and apologized to an auditorium packed with angry people who had long been living in fear. The officials admitted they had failed to prevent a political murder foretold by its victim. Their integrity was in doubt.
LIMA, Peru - Peruvian police have arrested 28 leaders of the political wing of the Shining Path rebel movement, including the lawyer of its imprisoned leader and a cousin of President Ollanta Humala, the government announced Thursday.
SAN FRANCISCO - A man wanted in connection to the killing of a 27-year-old Vallejo man last year has been arrested in Peru.
LIMA, Peru - Doctors in Peru say at least 15 wildcat gold miners and three police officers suffered gunshot wounds when police moved to reopen the highway that connects Brazil with the Pacific coast.
LIMA, Peru - Peru's environmental protection agency says ore extraction has been suspended for three days at the Chinese-owned Toromocho copper mine since inspectors found toxic discharge contaminating two highlands lakes.
MADRID - A consortium including Spanish construction companies ACS and FCC says it has been awarded a 3.9 billion-euro ($5.4 billion) contract to build and operate a subway line in Peru's capital.
ASUNCION, Paraguay - Peruvian club Real Garcilaso has been fined $12,000 following an incident last month in which club supporters racially abused black Brazilian player Tinga of club Cruzeiro in a Copa Libertadores match.