- Hamburg voters to decide on 2024 Olympic bid Updated: Nov-26-15 1:33 pm
HAMBURG, Germany - Leaders of Hamburg's bid for the 2024 Olympics hope that a soccer scandal, unsettled costs and fear of attacks won't dissuade voters from backing the German port city's candidacy on Sunday.
- Deep 7.5 quake shakes remote Peru jungle region Updated: Nov-24-15 6:30 pm
LIMA, Peru - A deep 7.5-magnitude earthquake has shaken a sparsely populated jungle region near the triple border of Peru, Brazil and Bolivia. There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage.
- Brazil, Argentina win to boost World Cup qualifying chances Updated: Nov-17-15 9:18 pm
SALVADOR, Brazil - Brazil revived its World Cup qualifying campaign with a 3-0 win over Peru on Tuesday.
- Argentina, Brazil draw 1-1 in classic World Cup qualifier Updated: Nov-13-15 11:50 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Argentina and Brazil drew 1-1 in their much-awaited World Cup qualifier on Friday, with neither of the traditional South American powers able to secure the victory needed to kick-start their slow start to the 2018 qualifying campaign.
- Bill Clinton visits Peru on final stop of Latin America tour Updated: Nov-11-15 8:55 pm
LIMA, Peru - Former U.S. President Bill Clinton is in Peru's capital visiting a project that gives rural Andean women sales training and provides them with products such as nutritious foods, pharmaceuticals and solar-powered lamps.
- Arab, South America leaders stress support for Palestinians Updated: Nov-11-15 1:51 pm
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - Arab and South American leaders found common ground in support for the Palestinians during a summit Wednesday aimed at strengthening ties between the two regions.
- Arab, Latin American leaders in Saudi for joint summit Updated: Nov-10-15 4:09 pm
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - Heads of state from the Middle East and Latin America arrived in Saudi Arabia on Tuesday for a summit aimed at boosting trade and policy coordination between the two regions.
- Brazil adds Gabriel Paulista, Douglas Santos for qualifiers Updated: Nov-06-15 11:45 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil has added Arsenal defender Gabriel Paulista and winger Douglas Santos of Brazilian club Atletico Mineiro to the squad for upcoming World Cup qualifiers this month against Argentina and Peru.
- 'Narco pardons' burden Garcia as he seeks Peru presidency Updated: Nov-05-15 1:39 pm
LIMA, Peru - Alan Garcia granted hundreds of convicted drug traffickers early release the last time he was Peru's president, pursuing a clemency campaign believed unparalleled in the world that he said was giving the deserving a second chance while easing prison overcrowding.
- Peru Catholic society admits sex abuse probe against founder Updated: Oct-31-15 8:04 pm
LIMA, Peru - A secretive Roman Catholic society with chapters across South America and in the U.S. has revealed under pressure that a Vatican investigator is looking into allegations that its founder sexually molested young recruits.
- Peruvian man caught with protected orchids pleads guilty Updated: Oct-30-15 2:19 pm
LOS ANGELES - The U.S. attorney's office says a Peruvian man has pleaded guilty to illegal trade in a protected species after being caught with endangered orchid plants in his luggage at Los Angeles International Airport.
- Ohio man who fled to Peru to avoid charges pleads not guilty Updated: Oct-29-15 6:20 pm
AKRON, Ohio - One day after being back in the U.S. after more than a decade, an Ohio man pleaded not guilty Thursday in federal court to charges filed in 2003 for what authorities say was a $65 million Ponzi scheme.