- Uruguay urges ex-Guantanamo detainees to sign for housing Updated: Apr-27-15 7:38 pm
MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay - Uruguay's foreign minister said Monday that six former Guantanamo Bay detainees resettled here will be out of a house and off public assistance unless they agree to terms they have so far rejected, the latest in an increasingly public battle over who is financially responsible for the men and for how long.
- Ex-Guantanamo detainees in Uruguay protest at US Embassy Updated: Apr-24-15 11:08 pm
MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay - Four freed Guantanamo Bay detainees protested in front of the U.S. Embassy on Friday night, saying they were angry about being asked to leave a Uruguayan hotel that had been housing them and demanding Washington help them financially.
- Man, 21, gets 4 years for strangling western Minnesota man Updated: Apr-19-15 12:49 pm
MONTEVIDEO, Minnesota - A 21-year-old man has been sentenced to more than four years in prison after admitting he strangled a 64-year-old man from western Minnesota while the two were having sex.
- Correction: Uruguay-Obit-Eduardo Galeano story Updated: Apr-14-15 11:54 am
MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay - In a story April 13 about the death of Eduardo Galeano, The Associated Press reported erroneously that the author had three children with his third wife. Galeano's children were from his first two marriages.
- UN to help Guantanamo refugees with houses in Uruguay Updated: Apr-11-15 11:34 am
MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay - Uruguay's president says the U.N. refugee agency will help six former Guantanamo prisoners obtain housing in his country.
- Former Uruguayan president complains about Syrian refugees Updated: Apr-06-15 7:04 pm
MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay - Uruguay's former president is complaining that Syrian refugees who have been resettled in the small South American country are not capable of working on farms.