- More arrests in bloggers' killings in Bangladesh Updated: Aug-28-15 11:15 pm
DHAKA, Bangladesh - Police in Bangladesh announced Saturday they have made additional arrests in the killings of secular bloggers by suspected Islamic radicals that have raised concerns about the government's ability to protect the freedom of speech.
- Europe's migrant crisis brings new death by land and sea Updated: Aug-28-15 4:28 pm
VIENNA - Death and desperation mounted in Europe's migrant crisis Friday as Austrian police said 71 people appeared to have suffocated in the back of an abandoned truck, while an estimated 200 people were feared drowned off Libya when two overloaded boats capsized.
- Jedinak among 3 players ruled out of Socceroos match Updated: Aug-27-15 11:26 pm
SYDNEY - Mile Jedinak, Tomi Juric and Robbie Kruse have been ruled out of the Australia's 2018 World Cup qualifying match against Bangladesh and will be replaced by Italian-based attacker Chris Ikonomidis, striker Ben Halloran and midfielder Luke Brattan.
- Bangladesh court delays screening of 'Rana Plaza' movie Updated: Aug-25-15 3:19 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - Bangladesh's High Court has imposed a six-month ban on the screening of a movie about a garment worker who was rescued from the rubble 17 days after a five-story factory complex collapsed more than two years ago, killing more than 1,000 people.
- Bangladesh indicts 10 for allegedly beating boy to death Updated: Aug-24-15 7:31 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - A magistrate in Bangladesh has indicted 10 men and issued arrest warrants for three alleged fugitives in the fatal beating of a 13-year-old boy that stunned the nation used to violent crime after a video of him being tortured was posted online.
- Rogic, Kruse, Luongo back in Australia squad for qualifiers Updated: Aug-18-15 7:55 pm
SYDNEY - Australia coach Ange Postecoglou has boosted his attacking strength with the recall of Celtic midfielder Tom Rogic, Bayer Leverkusen forward Robbie Kruse and Queens Park Rangers' Massimo Luongo for next month's World Cup qualifiers against Bangladesh and Tajikistan.
- Bangladesh police arrest 3 suspects in bloggers' murders Updated: Aug-18-15 7:30 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - Authorities in Bangladesh said Tuesday that they have arrested three men, including a British citizen, for their involvement in the murders of two secular bloggers.
- Bangladesh sentences 6 for making toxic syrup for kids Updated: Aug-17-15 10:28 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - A court in Bangladesh's capital has sentenced six officials of a now-dissolved drug company to 10 years in jail for producing toxic paracetamol syrup that reportedly killed hundreds of children who developed kidney diseases and other ailments after taking the medicine in the 1990s.
- As seas rise, saltwater plants offer hope farms will survive Updated: Aug-17-15 12:43 am
VEDARANYAM, India - On a sun-scorched wasteland near India's southern tip, an unlikely garden filled with spiky shrubs and spindly greens is growing, seemingly against all odds.
- Oceanic junk ranges from Legos to suspected jet wreckage Updated: Aug-14-15 11:05 am
NEW DELHI - For years along the Cornish coast of Britain, Atlantic Ocean currents have carried thousands of Lego pieces onto the beaches. In Kenya, cheap flip-flop sandals are churned relentlessly in the Indian Ocean surf, until finally being spit out onto the sand. In Bangladesh, fishermen are haunted by floating corpses that the Bay of Bengal sometimes puts in their path.
- Bangladesh court sentences 2 men for 1971 war crimes Updated: Aug-11-15 5:26 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - A war crimes tribunal in Bangladesh sentenced one man to death and another to life in prison Tuesday for collaborating with Pakistan to commit mass killings and other crimes during the 1971 war for independence.
- Bangladesh police kill 6 alleged tiger poachers in gunfight Updated: Aug-09-15 11:52 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - Police in Bangladesh have shot dead six suspected tiger poachers in the world's largest mangrove forest after a new survey found that the population of the big cats has dropped alarmingly.
- 4th blogger killed in Bangladesh by suspected militants Updated: Aug-07-15 8:47 pm
DHAKA, Bangladesh - Suspected militants posing as tenants entered an apartment building and hacked to death a secular blogger in Bangladesh's capital in the fourth such deadly attack this year, police said.
- Bangladesh High Court asks former PM Zia to appear in court Updated: Aug-05-15 10:07 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - Bangladesh's High Court on Wednesday asked former Prime Minister Khaleda Zia to appear in court in two months to face corruption charges involving the construction of two cargo terminals while she was in office.