- India, Bangladesh settle decades-old boundary dispute Updated: Jul-31-15 4:10 pm
NEW DELHI - India said Friday it swapped more than 150 small pockets of land with its small neighbor Bangladesh, settling a decades-old border dispute and an uncertain future for tens of thousands of stateless people living in squalid conditions.
- Official: 2 Indians held near Libya's Sirte town, 2 safe Updated: Jul-31-15 9:35 am
NEW DELHI - Four Indian nationals were detained near the Libyan city of Sirte, India's foreign ministry said Friday, but declined to say who had held the men.
- Report: Ride-hailing service Uber to put $1 billion in India Updated: Jul-31-15 7:41 am
NEW DELHI - Ride-hailing service Uber has announced a $1 billion investment for the Indian market for the next nine months as it hopes to expand services and products, news reports said Friday.
- India hangs only man sentenced to die for 1993 Mumbai blasts Updated: Jul-30-15 11:11 am
NEW DELHI - Ignoring pleas and petitions by civil society groups, India on Thursday hanged an accountant convicted of supporting the 1993 Mumbai bombings that killed 257 people in the country's worst terrorist attack.
- Former President Kalam buried in southern India Updated: Jul-30-15 3:47 am
NEW DELHI - Tens of thousands of people gathered in the southern Indian town of Rameswaram on Thursday for the burial of former President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, known as the father of the country's missile program.
- India execution brings out mixed feelings on punishment Updated: Jul-29-15 10:11 pm
NEW DELHI - Few countries sentence more people to death than India. Whether those punishments are actually carried out is another matter. Though well over a thousand people have been sent to death row this century, just four have been executed.
- UN: Expect 11.2 billion population by the end of the century Updated: Jul-29-15 3:42 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Move over: The world's population is expected to reach 8.5 billion by 2030 and 9.7 billion in 2050, a new United Nations report says. And there should be 11.2 billion people on Earth by the end of this century.
- Chand aims to qualify for Rio Olympics after CAS verdict Updated: Jul-28-15 12:42 pm
NEW DELHI - Indian sprinter Dutee Chand will aim to qualify for the 2016 Olympic Games after the Court of Arbitration for Sport's decision to suspend IAAF rules that could have blocked women with high levels of male hormones from competing in Rio de Janeiro.
- Ex-president known as father of Indian missile program dies Updated: Jul-27-15 1:52 pm
GAUHATI, India - Former Indian President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, known as the father of the country's military missile program, died Monday after collapsing while delivering a lecture, a top state official said. He was 83.
- Buddhist monks from India to return to Steamboat Springs Updated: Jul-27-15 10:32 am
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colorado - Buddhist monks from a monastery in southeast India are making their way back to Steamboat Springs for the first time since their initial visit in 2010.
- 10 killed in India as militants attack police station, bus Updated: Jul-27-15 9:43 am
NEW DELHI - Indian forces fought an extended gunbattle Monday with militants who attacked a moving bus and stormed into a police station in a northern town bordering Pakistan, with 10 people killed in the violence, officials said.
- Yoga philosopher brings lessons to Ketchikan Updated: Jul-26-15 4:10 am
KETCHIKAN, Alaska - Yoga philosopher Ram Vakkalanka is blunt when talking about common perceptions about yoga, the ancient Indian practice of meditation and physical movement.
- India's 'Medicine Baba' gets drugs from rich, gives to poor Updated: Jul-24-15 5:40 am
NEW DELHI - Omkarnath spends his days searching New Delhi for drugs. A call to the phone number printed boldly on his saffron-colored tunic reveals his alternate identity: "Hello, I am Medicine Baba."
- Ex-UN climate panel head accused of stalking loses India job Updated: Jul-24-15 3:40 am
NEW DELHI - The former chairman of the U.N. climate panel has been removed from his job as head of a top energy institute in India following allegations of sexual harassment.
- World mayors at Vatican urge 'bold climate agreement' Updated: Jul-21-15 11:25 pm
VATICAN CITY - Mayors from around the world declared Tuesday that climate change is real, man-made and must be stopped as a matter of moral imperative, gathering at the Vatican to announce new measures to fight global warming and bask in Pope Francis' ecological star power.
- Birmingham mayor: Pleased to back pope's call to end slavery Updated: Jul-21-15 10:44 am
VATICAN CITY - The latest developments at the Vatican's meeting of mayors on fighting climate change and human trafficking. All times local.
- India's opposition disrupts Parliament over cricket scandal Updated: Jul-21-15 8:01 am
NEW DELHI - Indian opposition parties disrupted Parliament on Tuesday to demand the resignation of two key ruling party leaders for allegedly helping a former Indian cricket official facing investigation for financial irregularities.
- Pakistan, India again exchange fire over disputed Kashmir Updated: Jul-18-15 11:53 am
MUZAFFARABAD, Pakistan - Pakistan and India again exchanged fire Saturday over the disputed region of Kashmir after violence earlier this week killed at least five people on both sides of the border. There were no casualties immediately reported, officials said.
- Stampede at Hindu religious festival in east India kills 2 Updated: Jul-18-15 11:43 am
NEW DELHI - A stampede at a religious festival attended by tens of thousands of people in eastern India left two women dead Saturday, police said, the second deadly stampede at an Indian Hindu festival in less than a week.
- India, Pakistan trade blame as border exchanges kill 5 Updated: Jul-16-15 8:46 am
ISLAMABAD - India and Pakistan traded blame on Thursday for a series of firefights and shelling over the past two days along their border in the disputed Kashmir region that killed five civilians and wounded nine people.
- Rush for shoes at India festival triggers stampede, kills 27 Updated: Jul-14-15 11:08 pm
HYDERABAD, India - Tens of thousands of pilgrims taking part in a Hindu religious bathing festival surged forward and triggered a massive stampede on a riverbank in southern India, leaving at least 27 dead and dozens injured in chaotic scenes in which rescuers struggled to respond quickly.
- Fugitive killer arrested in India returned to South Texas Updated: Jul-14-15 7:56 pm
HARLINGEN, Texas - A man who was able to escape a 2007 murder conviction in a scheme that sent a former South Texas prosecutor and judge to prison was returned to Texas on Tuesday to begin serving his prison sentence after his capture in India.
- Chennai, Rajasthan handed 2-year bans in IPL Updated: Jul-14-15 11:44 am
NEW DELHI - Indian Premier League teams Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals were suspended for two years and two officials banned for life by a Supreme Court-appointed committee on Tuesday following a corruption scandal.
- Tibetan lama Tenzin Delek Rinpoche dies in Chinese prison Updated: Jul-13-15 10:16 pm
BEIJING - Tibetan lama Tenzin Delek Rinpoche has died in prison 13 years into serving a sentence for what human rights groups say were false charges that he was involved in a bombing in a public park. He was 65.
- India top court allows Italian marine to extend visit home Updated: Jul-13-15 1:47 pm
NEW DELHI - India's top court extended an Italian marine's medical leave Monday for another six months, allowing him to stay in Italy and continue receiving medical treatment before he and a fellow marine are formally charged in the fatal shooting of two Indian fishermen in 2012.