- India SUV maker rides into US market ... on a scooter Updated: Sep-02-15 3:16 am
ANN ARBOR, Michigan - India's largest SUV maker is ready to make its debut on U.S. roads. But it's starting with two wheels, not four.
- Monsoon floods swamp northeast Indian villages, 21 dead Updated: Sep-01-15 11:50 am
GAUHATI, India - Monsoon floods have inundated hundreds of villages across the northeast Indian state of Assam, killing at least 21 people in the last four days and forcing some 800,000 people to leave their homes.
- Rioters rampage against residence law in northeast India Updated: Sep-01-15 9:59 am
GAUHATI, India - Rioters set fire to the homes of seven lawmakers during a rampage to protest new legislation defining who can claim to be from the northeastern Indian state of Manipur, police said Tuesday.
- Exiled Tibetan gov't warns China not to meddle in tradition Updated: Sep-01-15 8:35 am
DHARMSALA, India - The exiled Tibetan government said it saw no cause for celebrating 50 years since China formed the Tibetan Autonomous Region, insisting that Tuesday instead marked a half-century of occupation and control over the once-independent Himalayan kingdom.
- India's antitrust probe into Google moves into next phase Updated: Aug-31-15 5:34 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A lengthy investigation into whether Google has been abusing its dominance of Internet search to stifle competition in India is moving into its next phase.
- Filipino wins Magsaysay award for work to save ancient dance Updated: Aug-31-15 11:09 am
MANILA, Philippines - Amid the chimes of gongs, Ligaya Fernando Amilbangsa teaches a group of women and children the mystical moves of a centuries-old dance form she has struggled to save from oblivion in the Philippines' restive south.
- Indian scholar who criticized idol worship murdered at home Updated: Aug-31-15 10:07 am
NEW DELHI - Following a knock at his front door, an Indian scholar greeted two unidentified visitors and was shot in the head and the chest, becoming the third critic of religious superstition to be killed in the country in three years.
- Immigration shift shows India, China outpacing Mexico Updated: Aug-29-15 6:05 pm
DALLAS - Siddharth Jaganath wanted to return to India after earning his master's degree at Texas' Southern Methodist University. Instead, he built a new life in the U.S. over a decade, becoming a manager at a communications technology company and starting a family in the Dallas suburb of Plano.
- Katherine Boo to receive Lovejoy Award in Maine Updated: Aug-29-15 10:04 am
WATERVILLE, Maine - A former Washington Post reporter who won a Pulitzer Prize for exposing dire conditions in group homes for the mentally disabled will be this year's recipient of Lovejoy Award at Colby College.
- Indian and Pakistani border guards trade gunfire, 9 killed Updated: Aug-28-15 10:16 am
ISLAMABAD - Indian and Pakistani border guards traded gunfire in the divided region of Kashmir, leaving nine civilians dead and another 63 wounded, authorities said Friday.
- Indian army kills 5 Naga rebels in remote northeast Updated: Aug-28-15 9:55 am
GAUHATI, India - India's army on Friday killed five insurgents from a Naga rebel group that months earlier attacked the military in the country's remote northeastern region bordering Myanmar, an official said.
- New clashes amid communal protest in western India, 5 dead Updated: Aug-26-15 9:40 am
AHMADABAD, India - Fresh communal clashes erupted Wednesday in western India as police and paramilitary forces tried to quell riots led by members of a farming caste demanding government benefits. Five people have been killed in the violence, police said.
- India, UN appeal for peace after 11 die in Nepal violence Updated: Aug-25-15 9:11 am
KATHMANDU, Nepal - India and the United Nations appealed for all parties to seek peace in Nepal, where hundreds of security forces on Tuesday were patrolling a western town after ethnic protesters demanding statehood attacked police a day earlier, leaving 11 people dead and many injured.
- Riise to turn out for Delhi Dynamos in 2nd edition of ISL Updated: Aug-25-15 3:09 am
NEW DELHI - Former Liverpool defender John Arne Riise will play for Delhi Dynamos in the second season of the Indian Super League.
- UN tribunal orders India to suspend case against Italians Updated: Aug-24-15 9:52 am
BERLIN - A U.N.-mandated tribunal on Monday ordered India to put on hold legal proceedings against two Italian marines accused of killing two Indian fishermen in 2012 until an arbitration panel has ruled on the dispute.
- India, Pakistan blame each other for cancellation of talks Updated: Aug-23-15 8:38 am
NEW DELHI - India and Pakistan blamed each other for the cancellation of talks between their national security advisers that were scheduled for this week, with the rivals squabbling over the agenda.
- Planned high-level Pakistan, India talks falter over Kashmir Updated: Aug-22-15 8:46 am
ISLAMABAD - Pakistan's national security adviser said Saturday he was ready to travel to New Delhi for the first-ever direct talks with his Indian counterpart, though India warned his trip must be restricted to discussing security issues amid tensions over him meeting Kashmir separatists.
- Pakistan court bans film after suspected militant complains Updated: Aug-20-15 11:40 am
ISLAMABAD - A lawyer for a suspected Pakistani militant wanted by the U.S. said Thursday a court has banned an upcoming Bollywood movie that imagines his client being assassinated.
- Indian authorities detain, then release Kashmiri separatists Updated: Aug-20-15 7:34 am
SRINAGAR, India - Indian authorities detained and later released two key Kashmiri separatist leaders Thursday ahead of talks between Indian and Pakistani security advisers, while a third remained under house arrest.
- New tools, new complications in fight to keep cities safe Updated: Aug-20-15 6:13 am
NEW DELHI - For generations, the world's cities have struggled to keep themselves safe.
- Pakistani, Indian troops trade fire in Kashmir, killing 2 Updated: Aug-19-15 10:39 am
MUZAFFARABAD, Pakistan - Border guards from Pakistan and neighboring India continued trading fire Wednesday in the divided region of Kashmir, violence that killed two Pakistani villagers, officials said.
- India police say 2 brothers behead sister for alleged affair Updated: Aug-19-15 5:46 am
LUCKNOW, India - Two brothers in northern India beheaded their teenage sister and carried her head through their village because they disapproved of her romantic relationship with a cousin, police said Wednesday.
- Lahiri's tie for fifth at PGA expected to boost Indian golf Updated: Aug-18-15 8:44 pm
NEW DELHI - Anirban Lahiri's tie for fifth at the PGA Championship on Sunday has not only raised hopes of India producing a first major winner, it promises to fuel the aspirations of a whole generation golfers in this cricket-crazed country of over 1.2 billion.
- Civilian, policeman killed in rebel attack in Indian Kashmir Updated: Aug-18-15 6:43 am
SRINAGAR, India - Suspected rebels opened fire at a police post in the Indian-controlled portion of Kashmir on Tuesday, killing a police constable and a civilian, authorities said.
- Asia's 'infrastructure gap' threatens to hamper growth Updated: Aug-18-15 3:05 am
MANILA, Philippines - Looking out at bumper-to-bumper Monday morning traffic crawling along the Philippine capital's main avenue, taxi driver Ranilo Banez shook his head in frustration.