- US criticizes Maldives' return of former president to prison Updated: Aug-25-15 4:35 pm
WASHINGTON - The United States is calling for the Maldives government to release former President Mohamed Nasheed after he was sent back to prison from house arrest this week.
- Party spokesman: Maldives ex-president taken back to prison Updated: Aug-24-15 10:01 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Maldives police have taken former President Mohamed Nasheed back to jail even though his 13-year sentence was commuted to house arrest last month, a party spokesman said Monday.
- Oceanic junk ranges from Legos to suspected jet wreckage Updated: Aug-14-15 11:05 am
NEW DELHI - For years along the Cornish coast of Britain, Atlantic Ocean currents have carried thousands of Lego pieces onto the beaches. In Kenya, cheap flip-flop sandals are churned relentlessly in the Indian Ocean surf, until finally being spit out onto the sand. In Bangladesh, fishermen are haunted by floating corpses that the Bay of Bengal sometimes puts in their path.
- Maldives arrests 7, intercepts boat heading to Diego Garcia Updated: Aug-12-15 10:32 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Maldives authorities say that they intercepted a boat with seven foreign tourists and local crew apparently heading to the Indian Ocean island of Diego Garcia, where the United States maintains a military base.
- Saint Mary's College accepting male graduate students Updated: Aug-01-15 4:23 pm
SOUTH BEND, Indiana - Saint Mary's College, a 171-year-old Roman Catholic women's college, is opening its doors to men as it starts enrolling graduate students for the first time in more than 40 years.