- Rights lawyer: Jailing ex-leader sign of Maldives extremism Updated: Oct-05-15 11:36 am
LONDON - The imprisonment of former Maldives President Mohamed Nasheed symbolizes a turn toward autocracy and extremism by a Muslim nation with the world's highest per-capita level of recruitment to the Islamic State group, a human rights lawyer said Monday.
- Maldives minister says boat blast likely targeted president Updated: Sep-29-15 6:01 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The top diplomat of the Maldives said Tuesday an explosion on the boat of the island nation's leader was likely a targeted attack.
- Multinational experts to handle Maldives boat blast probe Updated: Sep-28-15 2:49 pm
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - A minister from the Maldives said investigations into Monday's blast on President Yameen Abdul Gayoom's speedboat will soon be taken over by multinational experts.
- Maldives criticizes UN's call to free jailed ex-president Updated: Sep-15-15 6:39 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - The Maldives criticized the U.N. human rights chief's call to release the country's imprisoned former president, calling it an effort to circumvent rule of law.
- Lawyers: We will pursue sanctions against Maldives Updated: Sep-10-15 2:47 pm
MALE, Maldives - A team of human rights lawyers said Thursday they will seek international sanctions and travel bans against the Maldives as part of its efforts to secure the release of the country's jailed former president.