- Maldives sacks public prosecutor for refusing to charge VP Updated: Nov-10-15 11:53 pm
MALE, Maldives - The political crisis in the Maldives has deepened with lawmakers voting to fire the country's chief public prosecutor after he refused to press corruption charges against the country's sacked vice president.
- Maldives president revokes state of emergency early Updated: Nov-10-15 3:20 pm
MALE, Maldives - The president of the Maldives on Tuesday revoked a state of emergency after less than a week, following widespread international condemnation and concerns about its impact on the country's crucial tourism industry, the government said.
- Maldives says state of emergency may be lifted early Updated: Nov-09-15 7:38 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - The foreign minister of the Maldives said Monday that a monthlong state of emergency declared by the president last week may be lifted early.
- Maldives impeaches VP accused of plotting to kill president Updated: Nov-05-15 1:37 pm
MALE, Maldives - Maldives' Parliament voted overwhelmingly on Thursday to impeach the country's vice president, who will be charged with terrorism for plotting to kill the president, a minister said.
- After bomb report, Maldives president vows to ensure safety Updated: Nov-03-15 6:50 am
MALE, Maldives - The president of the Maldives said Tuesday he would take all steps to ensure the safety of his people, a day after an explosive device was found near his official residence.
- FBI: No evidence bomb caused blast on Maldives leader's boat Updated: Nov-01-15 3:46 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - There is no evidence that last month's explosion aboard the Maldivian president's boat was caused by a bomb, the FBI said, contradicting government allegations that have led to the arrest of the country's vice president and deepened the turmoil in the Indian Ocean archipelago.
- Malaysia deports 5 Maldivians over alleged assassination bid Updated: Oct-30-15 10:10 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysian police said they deported five Maldives citizens on Friday, including a diplomat, over an alleged attempt to assassinate the Maldivian president.
- Maldives law allows monitoring of suspected IS sympathizers Updated: Oct-29-15 12:48 pm
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - The Maldives' foreign minister defended a new anti-terror law on Thursday that gives the government wide powers, including the ability to install cameras in the homes of people suspected of sympathizing with the Islamic State group and to declare any group a terrorist organization.
- VP's arrest highlights Maldives' fractious democracy Updated: Oct-27-15 8:04 am
MALE, Maldives - An explosion last month aboard the presidential boat set the Maldives on course for its latest political shakeup, with the vice president arrested on suspicion of high treason for allegedly plotting to assassinate the country's leader.