- Pakistan cricket receives govt approval to play India in SL Updated: Nov-27-15 5:26 am
ISLAMABAD - The Pakistan Cricket Board says it has received approval from the government to play India in Sri Lanka in a limited-overs series next month.
- UN team identifies detention center at Sri Lankan navy base Updated: Nov-18-15 7:01 pm
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - A U.N. team says it found a secret underground detention center at a Sri Lankan navy base where many post-civil war detainees were believed to have been interrogated and tortured. The navy, however, denied there was any such center at the base.
- Maldives says state of emergency may be lifted early Updated: Nov-09-15 7:38 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - The foreign minister of the Maldives said Monday that a monthlong state of emergency declared by the president last week may be lifted early.
- FBI: No evidence bomb caused blast on Maldives leader's boat Updated: Nov-01-15 3:46 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - There is no evidence that last month's explosion aboard the Maldivian president's boat was caused by a bomb, the FBI said, contradicting government allegations that have led to the arrest of the country's vice president and deepened the turmoil in the Indian Ocean archipelago.
- Maldives law allows monitoring of suspected IS sympathizers Updated: Oct-29-15 12:48 pm
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - The Maldives' foreign minister defended a new anti-terror law on Thursday that gives the government wide powers, including the ability to install cameras in the homes of people suspected of sympathizing with the Islamic State group and to declare any group a terrorist organization.
- Labor laws questioned after Indian maid loses arm in Saudi Updated: Oct-29-15 8:24 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Kasthuri Munirathinam, a 55-year-old mother of four from southern India, was plunged into debt after borrowing money to marry off her daughters. Like many before her, she was recruited through an agency and promised an opportunity to earn 1,000 Saudi riyals ($267) a month by working as a live-in maid in Saudi Arabia, the Arab region's largest economy where domestic help is in high demand.