- Sri Lanka says Canada holds Commonwealth to ransom Updated: Apr-15-14 11:08 am
- Canada suspends funding over Sri Lanka Updated: Apr-14-14 5:32 pm
- Sri Lanka says it killed 3 trying to revive rebels Updated: Apr-11-14 7:53 am
- Women's group; Rebel suspects' families detained Updated: Apr-09-14 6:13 am
- Sri Lanka refuses cooperation with UN-backed probe Updated: Apr-07-14 11:23 am
- Sri Lankans celebrate big cricket victory Updated: Apr-07-14 10:06 am
- Indian envoy calls for Sri Lanka power sharing Updated: Apr-04-14 12:25 pm
- Sri Lanka bans global Tamil political groups Updated: Apr-02-14 4:31 am
- Sri Lanka fights against UN civil war inquiry Updated: Mar-26-14 2:43 pm
- US concerned over Sri Lanka's activists Updated: Mar-22-14 3:34 am
- Tamil women want info on Sri Lanka's war missing Updated: Mar-21-14 11:44 am
- Sri Lanka's ex-president says her life is at risk Updated: Mar-21-14 10:41 am
- Sri Lankan city shut ahead of war crime resolution Updated: Mar-20-14 5:19 am
- Sri Lankan police release 2 rights activists Updated: Mar-19-14 9:44 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Sri Lanka on Tuesday accused Canada of using its funding of the Commonwealth as a political tool by suspending its $10 million annual contribution while Sri Lanka chairs the group's secretariat.
OTTAWA, Ontario - Canada is suspending $20 million in funding to the Commonwealth while the chair of the secretariat is occupied by Sri Lanka because of human rights concerns.
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Sri Lankan soldiers on Friday killed three men who were attempting to revive the Tamil Tigers separatist group, which was defeated in the country's civil war nearly five years ago, the Defense Ministry said.
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - A Sri Lankan women's rights group said Wednesday that the government is arresting innocent female relatives of males it suspects are trying to revive the Tamil Tiger rebel group and the women are suffering from ill treatment.
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Sri Lanka's foreign minister said Monday that his country will not cooperate with the United Nations human rights chief when she begins an investigation into alleged crimes from the island nation's civil war.
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Sri Lankan cricket fans paraded through the streets, waved flags and lit firecrackers after their national team won the World Twenty20 title.
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - India's ambassador urged Sri Lanka's government on Friday to expedite power sharing with ethnic minority Tamils after a recent United Nations resolution authorized an international war crimes investigation.
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Sri Lanka has banned the self-declared government-in-exile of ethnic minority Tamils and more than a dozen other Tamil diaspora groups, accusing them of committing and supporting terrorism and freezing their assets, the government said Wednesday.
GENEVA - Sri Lanka on Wednesday rejected a U.S.-led call for accountability after the U.N.'s top human rights official recommended an international criminal investigation of abuses from the island nation's civil war that ended in 2009.
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - The United States expressed concern over intensifying pressure on Sri Lanka's civil society and human rights activists and urged the government to ensure fundamental freedoms.
MANNAR, Sri Lanka - Hundreds of ethnic Tamil women demanded information on Friday about relatives who have been missing since Sri Lanka's civil war, defying widespread military surveillance, threats and the possibility of arrest.
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Sri Lanka's former president said she fears for her safety because the government's secret services are conducting constant surveillance on her, an allegation the government rejected Friday.
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Supporters of Sri Lanka's government brought a city in the country's former civil war zone to a standstill on Thursday to protest a U.S.-sponsored resolution at the U.N. Human Rights Council on alleged war crimes.
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Sri Lankan police said Wednesday that they have released two prominent human rights activists whose arrests over the weekend drew international criticism.