- Ex-army chief's appointment as Sri Lanka lawmaker criticized Updated: Feb-11-16 5:55 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - An international rights group said Thursday that the Sri Lankan government's decision to appoint the civil war-winning general to Parliament contradicts its pledges to investigate alleged abuses under his command.
- UN official asks Sri Lanka to locate people missing from war Updated: Feb-09-16 8:18 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - The top United Nations human rights official asked Sri Lanka's government on Tuesday to quickly locate thousands of civilians reported missing during the country's civil war. The government has said most are probably dead.
- Maldives police arrest judge, ex-prosecutor general Updated: Feb-08-16 6:52 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Maldives police arrested a judge and a former prosecutor general for issuing an arrest warrant for the country's president without the police requesting one, an official said Monday in the latest political turmoil in the Indian Ocean archipelago.
- Sri Lanka lifts unofficial ban on Tamil national anthem Updated: Feb-04-16 6:55 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - A Tamil-language version of Sri Lanka's national anthem was performed at the country's independence ceremony on Thursday, lifting an unofficial ban in another step toward post-civil war ethnic reconciliation.
- Sri Lankan authorities begin destroying seized ivory Updated: Jan-26-16 6:34 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Sri Lankan authorities on Tuesday began destroying a shipment of African ivory seized three years ago, following a ceremony at which Buddhist monks gave the slaughtered elephants blessings for a better rebirth.
- Dispute over Maldives ex-president's medical travel resolved Updated: Jan-18-16 12:07 pm
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - The government of the Maldives said Monday that the country's imprisoned former president has departed for Britain for surgery after a dispute over conditions imposed by the government was resolved.