- Philippines, rebels fortify truce amid stalled peace pact Updated: Feb-12-16 8:31 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine government and Muslim rebels have extended the stay of international cease-fire monitors at their first meeting since their peace pact stalled amid fears of fresh fighting.
- Businessman seeks leniency in halal beef export fraud case Updated: Feb-05-16 5:36 pm
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - Supporters of a prominent businessman and Muslim community leader packed a federal courtroom Friday to ask a judge to spare him prison time for committing fraud in exporting halal beef products to Malaysia and Indonesia.
- Malaysian officer to serve 9 months for New Zealand assault Updated: Feb-03-16 11:19 pm
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - A Malaysian military officer whose legal case prompted outrage after he left New Zealand under the protection of diplomatic immunity was sentenced Thursday to nine months of home detention after pleading guilty to indecent assault.
- Malaysian politician ousted after criticizing prime minister Updated: Feb-03-16 8:09 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The son of former Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad resigned as the top leader of a federal state Wednesday, saying he was ousted because he had criticized Prime Minister Najib Razak over a $700 million financial scandal.
- Asian champion Evergrande fined for filming training session Updated: Feb-03-16 5:00 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Asian Champions League winner Guangzhou Evergrande has been fined for secretly filming its opponent's training session before the second-leg match of the final.
- Ship hijackings down in 2015, piracy mostly low-level theft Updated: Feb-02-16 8:23 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - A global maritime watchdog said Tuesday that ship hijackings declined in 2015 from a year earlier, while sea piracy incidents increased slightly but consisted mostly of low-level theft.
- Singapore seizes bank accounts in Malaysian fund probe Updated: Feb-01-16 10:41 am
SINGAPORE - Singapore announced Monday that it has seized a large number of bank accounts in a probe into alleged misappropriations related to an indebted Malaysian state investment fund.
- Chinese ship with advanced sonar to search for Flight 370 Updated: Jan-29-16 12:23 am
CANBERRA, Australia - A Chinese ship equipped with advanced sonar equipment will soon join the search for the Malaysian airliner believed to have crashed in the southern Indian Ocean almost two years ago, an official said on Friday.
- Unofficial campaigns already starting for AFC presidency Updated: Jan-28-16 6:28 am
SEOUL, South Korea - The position is not yet vacant, and may not become so, yet people are already beginning their undeclared campaigns to be president of the Asian Football Confederation.
- Malaysia cuts growth forecast, cuts budget as oil slides Updated: Jan-28-16 3:36 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysia on Thursday cut its 2016 growth forecast and slashed spending plans as the economy reels from the slump in oil prices, dealing a new setback to embattled Prime Minister Najib Razak.
- Boat capsizes off Malaysia, 13 Indonesian migrants drowned Updated: Jan-26-16 2:57 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysian police said 13 bodies, believed to be Indonesian illegal immigrants, were found washed ashore after their boat capsized in bad sea conditions.
- Malaysia says metal on Thai beach not from Flight 370 Updated: Jan-26-16 2:18 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysia confirmed Tuesday that the piece of metal found washed up on a Thai beach last week was not from Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 that went missing almost two years ago in one of aviation history's most enduring mysteries.
- Malaysian PM defends strict security laws to fight terrorism Updated: Jan-25-16 1:31 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysia's leader on Monday defended the country's strict security laws, saying they are needed to fight terrorism as the Islamic State group warned of revenge over a crackdown on its members.
- Malaysia detains 7 suspected IS members plotting attacks Updated: Jan-24-16 6:08 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysian police have detained seven men suspected of being an Islamic State militant cell that was plotting attacks, authorities said Sunday.
- Europe dominates singles, boosts win margin in EurAsia Cup Updated: Jan-17-16 3:47 am
SHAH ALAM, Malaysia - Europe dominated Sunday's singles matches 9-1/2 to 2-1/2 to comfortably win the EurAsia Cup.
- Detained Malaysian was hours away from suicide attack Updated: Jan-16-16 10:53 pm
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - A Malaysian man was detained just hours before planning to blow himself up at an entertainment venue in Kuala Lumpur, a government official said Sunday, after authorities raised the alert level following bombings in neighboring Indonesia.
- Analysis: Old militants with new brand behind Jakarta attack Updated: Jan-15-16 10:22 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - In the course of six years without a major terrorist attack, Indonesia had grown more and more confident that it had stayed on top of any threat from Islamic militants.
- AP Exclusive: Kin of Malaysian hostage retrieve remains Updated: Jan-15-16 5:19 am
MANILA, Philippines - The grieving wife and siblings of a Malaysian hostage who was beheaded by Abu Sayyaf extremists in the southern Philippines retrieved his remains in Manila Friday, visibly stunned after seeing his body for the first time.
- Sailing officials decline to punish Malaysian federation Updated: Jan-14-16 9:26 pm
SOUTHAMPTON, England - World Sailing has declined to punish the Malaysian Sailing Federation after two Israeli athletes withdrew from last month's Youth World Championship due to conditions imposed by government authorities.
- Russia asks Dutch officials to look into new MH17 evidence Updated: Jan-14-16 4:31 am
MOSCOW - Russian aviation officials say they have uncovered new evidence about the 2014 downing of a Malaysian jet over eastern Ukraine and are asking Dutch investigators to look into the findings.