- Robert De Niro opens Asia's 1st Nobu Hotel in Philippines Updated: May-18-15 7:19 am
MANILA, Philippines - Robert de Niro and his business partners formally opened Asia's first Nobu Hotel in Manila on Monday as the luxury brand gears up for global expansion.
- Philippine factory where 72 died suspected of breaking law Updated: May-15-15 7:01 am
MANILA, Philippines - A factory where a fire killed 72 people violated employment laws, the Philippines' top labor official said Friday, as more witness reports emerged about the victims being trapped behind iron grill bars shouting for help.
- 4 killed as Philippine troops clash with Abu Sayyaf Updated: May-15-15 5:40 am
MANILA, Philippines - Philippine troops overran a bomb factory of Abu Sayyaf militants after a firefight that killed three insurgents and a soldier in the country's restive south, the military said Friday.
- Filipino shadow play performers win 'Asia's Got Talent' Updated: May-14-15 11:46 pm
MANILA, Philippines - Filipino shadow play performer El Gamma Penumbra won the grand prize of the first season of "Asia's Got Talent," the pan-Asian talent search in Singapore.
- Filipino Cardinal Tagle gets new high-profile job at Caritas Updated: May-14-15 1:10 pm
VATICAN CITY - A Filipino cardinal often mentioned as a possible papal contender has just gotten a new high-profile job heading the Catholic Church's global charity and development confederation.
- Injured Manny Pacquiao returns to the Philippines Updated: May-13-15 7:42 am
MANILA, Philippines - Manny Pacquiao returned home to the Philippines on Wednesday nursing his right shoulder after surgery and weighing up whether to retire or push for a rematch with Floyd Mayweather Jr.
- Philippines seeks US help in stopping China land reclamation Updated: May-12-15 6:23 pm
WASHINGTON - The Philippines' top diplomat said Tuesday he is seeking more U.S. help in stopping massive land reclamation by China that could give Beijing effective control of the South China Sea.
- Typhoon swerves into Japan after killing 2 in Philippines Updated: May-12-15 1:08 am
TOKYO - A powerful typhoon swerved into southern Japan on Tuesday, battering its southernmost tiny islands with rain and wind after hammering the northeastern tip of the Philippines.
- Typhoon swerves into Japan, leaves 2 dead in Philippines Updated: May-11-15 11:06 pm
TOKYO - A powerful typhoon swerved into southern Japan Tuesday after hammering the northeastern tip of the Philippines, leaving at least two people dead.
- Boxing loss could be Pacquiao's political win Updated: May-10-15 2:24 am
MANILA, Philippines - Manny Pacquiao lost his biggest fight in the ring, but that won't stop him from plotting a bigger comeback - in the political arena that is.
- South China Sea watch: New islands rising, ASEAN worried Updated: May-07-15 5:52 am
The dispute over the strategic waterways of the South China Sea has intensified, pitting a rising China against its smaller and militarily weaker neighbors who all lay claim to a string of isles, coral reefs and lagoons known as the Spratly and the Paracel islands. Only about 45 of them are occupied. The area is the third-busiest global shipping lane, rich in fish and potentially gas and oil reserves, but has emerged as a possible flashpoint involving world powers and regional claimants.
- Philippine volcano ejects ash, but no violent eruption Updated: May-07-15 12:10 am
MANILA, Philippines - A Philippine volcano has spewed ash for the second time in less than a week but there were no signs of any imminent violent eruption, the country's chief volcano expert said Thursday.
- Philippines says notorious bomb-maker killed by rebels Updated: May-06-15 7:44 am
MANILA, Philippines - A Filipino bomb-maker who was one of the country's top terror suspects was killed by Muslim rebels who earlier signed a peace deal with the government, the Philippine military said Wednesday.
- Philippine military chief confirms wanted militant killed Updated: May-04-15 1:01 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine military chief confirmed Monday that wanted Filipino bomb-maker Abdul Basit Usman, who has links to the Indonesian-based Jemaah Islamiyah terrorist network and is a suspect in deadly bomb attacks in the south, has been killed.
- Sadness, disappointment in Philippines after Pacquiao defeat Updated: May-03-15 11:26 am
MANILA, Philippines - Sadness and disappointment gripped Filipinos after Manny Pacquiao's defeat in his much-anticipated fight against American Floyd Mayweather Jr. but they still considered the boxing icon a national hero.
- Filipino baker makes life-sized cake of Pacquiao Updated: May-02-15 1:47 am
MANILA, Philippines - Fans of Manny Pacquiao have a new way of showing how much they love the boxing superstar - by eating him.
- May Day demos staged around the world; Turkey square blocked Updated: May-01-15 1:21 pm
HAVANA - Left-wing groups, governments and trade unions were staging rallies around the world Friday to mark International Workers Day.
- Filipinos urged to turn off appliances during Pacquiao fight Updated: May-01-15 8:56 am
MANILA, Philippines - An officer at a Philippine electric company has urged customers to turn off major appliances to help prevent outages that have recently plagued his province so people can watch the much-awaited fight between Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather.
- As Philippine congressman, Pacquiao seen as underachieving Updated: May-01-15 2:29 am
MANILA, Philippines - Manny Pacquiao has been an inspiration for millions of Filipinos not just as a boxer, but as a philanthropist. As a politician, not so much.
- Australia wary of escalating rift after Indonesia executions Updated: Apr-29-15 2:04 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia said it would withdraw its ambassador to Indonesia after two Australians were among eight drug traffickers executed by the Southeast Asian country Wednesday, but was wary of escalating hostilities with its neighbor despite a public outcry.
- Filipino boxers try to follow Pacquiao's path out of poverty Updated: Apr-29-15 4:37 am
MANILA, Philippines - Manny Pacquiao's rise from crushing poverty to global fame and fortune has inspired a whole generation of Filipino fighters, who look up to his legend as their dream and boxing as a ticket out of harsh lives and uncertainties.
- Indonesia's attorney general says female Philippines drug convict spared from execution Updated: Apr-28-15 2:55 pm
CILACAP, Indonesia - Indonesia's attorney general says female Philippines drug convict spared from execution.
- Malaysia: ASEAN to avoid confronting China in S. China Sea Updated: Apr-27-15 5:26 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysia's leader said Monday that Southeast Asian countries will avoid direct confrontation with China but push for a quick conclusion to a binding code of conduct to govern behavior in the disputed waters of the South China Sea.
- Philippines, China trade accusations over sea threats Updated: Apr-24-15 9:34 pm
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines accused China of aggressive maneuvers against its reconnaissance plane and fishermen in disputed seas where Beijing has stepped up construction of artificial islands, but China reiterated its claim on the strategic waterways.