- Image of Asia: Vietnam marks 70 years of independence Updated: Sep-02-15 9:04 am
In this photo by Hau Dinh, Vietnamese soldiers march during a military parade in Hanoi as part of events commemorating the 70th anniversary of independence from France. Speaking at the parade, President Truong Tan Sang praised the country's achievements over the past 70 years but warned that corruption is eroding the people's trust in the ruling Communist Party and government. Revolutionary leader Ho Chi Minh declared Vietnam's independence on Sept. 2, 1945, though subsequent wars left the country divided until 1975.
- China seizes 620 turtles and tortoises smuggled from Vietnam Updated: Aug-30-15 7:07 am
BEIJING - Chinese border patrol officials seized 620 wild turtles and tortoises - 510 of them considered endangered - that were found alive in a shipment of frozen seafood from Vietnam, state media said Sunday.
- Vietnam grants amnesty to more than 18,000 prisoners Updated: Aug-28-15 2:17 am
HANOI, Vietnam - Vietnam has granted amnesty to more than 18,000 prisoners to mark the 70th anniversary of independence from France, but authorities said Friday they do not include anyone convicted of national security crimes.
- Vietnam devalues currency by 1 percent after Chinese move Updated: Aug-19-15 5:16 am
HANOI, Vietnam - Vietnam allowed its currency to weaken by at least 1 percent Wednesday following the devaluation of the Chinese yuan and the expectation of a possible U.S interest rate hike.
- Asia's 'infrastructure gap' threatens to hamper growth Updated: Aug-18-15 3:05 am
MANILA, Philippines - Looking out at bumper-to-bumper Monday morning traffic crawling along the Philippine capital's main avenue, taxi driver Ranilo Banez shook his head in frustration.
- Opposition senator arrested in Cambodia for Facebook posting Updated: Aug-15-15 8:44 am
PHNOM PENH, Cambodia - Cambodian authorities arrested an opposition senator Saturday, two days after Prime Minister Hun Sen accused him of treason for comments posted on Facebook.
- Cambodian leader orders arrest of opposition senator Updated: Aug-13-15 10:04 am
PHNOM PENH, Cambodia - Cambodia's prime minister on Thursday demanded the arrest of an opposition senator, accusing him of treason for comments posted on Facebook criticizing a 36-year-old border agreement with neighboring Vietnam.
- Kerry 'profoundly disagrees' with Schumer, Engel on Iran Updated: Aug-07-15 6:31 am
HANOI, Vietnam - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said Friday he "profoundly disagrees" with the reasoning behind decisions by two prominent Democratic lawmakers to vote against the nuclear deal he negotiated with Iran.
- Kerry links better US-Vietnam ties to rights on anniversary Updated: Aug-07-15 6:17 am
HANOI, Vietnam - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Friday celebrated the 20th anniversary of normalized relations between the United States and Vietnam but said ties would not reach their full potential without improvements in the communist nation's human rights record.
- US, China bicker over territorial claims in South China Sea Updated: Aug-05-15 12:52 pm
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The United States and China clashed Wednesday over who is to blame for rising tensions over territorial disputes in the South China Sea with Washington demanding a halt to "problematic actions" in the area and Beijing telling foreign parties to keep out.
- EU, Vietnam agree deal for free trade pact Updated: Aug-04-15 8:02 am
BRUSSELS - The European Union and Vietnam clinched on Tuesday an agreement in principle on a new free trade deal that would see the lifting of most tariffs on goods.