- Norton, Cummings to attend Mandela memorial Updated: Dec-08-13 7:01 pm
- South Africans of all faiths pray for Mandela Updated: Dec-08-13 1:47 pm
- Illinois Wesleyan professor voted for Mandela Updated: Dec-08-13 12:50 pm
- Madiba, father, troublemaker - Mandela's names Updated: Dec-08-13 12:32 pm
- Palestinians remember Mandela as an inspiration Updated: Dec-08-13 12:30 pm
- Bjorn rallies with 2 eagles for 65, wins Sun City Updated: Dec-08-13 11:48 am
- Friend: Mandela not on life support in final hours Updated: Dec-08-13 11:35 am
- Mandela's jailer praises the anti-apartheid icon Updated: Dec-08-13 4:40 am
- Obamas to attend Tuesday service for Mandela Updated: Dec-07-13 7:32 pm
- Ex-US President Carter heading to Mandela memorial Updated: Dec-07-13 5:32 pm
- Tribute to Mandela's legacy scheduled in Detroit Updated: Dec-07-13 5:20 pm
- Boxer Jacob Matlala, 51, a Mandela favorite, dies Updated: Dec-07-13 3:29 pm
- Belgian golf psychologist to Ernie Els dies at 62 Updated: Dec-07-13 2:14 pm
- Mandela: icon, hero and flawed human Updated: Dec-07-13 1:13 pm
- Mandela's 1st township home shows lack of progress Updated: Dec-07-13 12:02 pm
- Few heirs apparent to Mandela's symbol of freedom Updated: Dec-07-13 11:35 am
- Celebrating Mandela: South African sports goes on Updated: Dec-07-13 10:15 am
- New England editorial roundup Updated: Dec-07-13 9:04 am
- NYC school to be named after Nelson Mandela Updated: Dec-06-13 8:49 pm
- Empire State Building shines for Mandela in NYC Updated: Dec-06-13 6:43 pm
- AP PHOTOS: Mandela remembered around the world Updated: Dec-06-13 4:01 pm
- AP WAS THERE: Mandela's release from prison Updated: Dec-06-13 3:47 pm
- Mandela mourned as inspiration in many struggles Updated: Dec-06-13 2:24 pm
- South Africa begins life without Nelson Mandela Updated: Dec-06-13 2:04 pm
- Nelson Mandela tournament to be played next week Updated: Dec-06-13 11:42 am
WASHINGTON - Congressman Elijah Cummings of Maryland and Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton of the District of Columbia will be part of the Congressional delegation attending Nelson Mandela's memorial service in South Africa.
CAPE TOWN, South Africa - In death, Nelson Mandela unified South Africans of all races and backgrounds Sunday on a day of prayer for the global statesman - from a vaulted cathedral with hymns and incense to a rural, hilltop church with goat-skin drums and barefoot dancing.
BLOOMINGTON, Illinois - A professor from Illinois Wesleyan University is recalling his vote for Nelson Mandela, and his sense of awe at the time of the historic election in South Africa.
JOHANNESBURG - South Africans of all races often referred to Nelson Mandela as simply "Madiba" or "Tata," terms of endearment that promoted a sense of familiarity for a towering figure who was widely revered.
RAMALLAH, West Bank - Palestinians mourned Nelson Mandela as their most loyal champion, lighting candles in special prayer services Sunday and holding his picture like a shield in confrontations with Israeli troops.
SUN CITY, South Africa - Thomas Bjorn had two eagles in his last nine holes, one brilliant and one a bit lucky, to finish with a 7-under 65 and win the Nedbank Golf Challenge on Sunday.
JOHANNESBURG - A close family friend who visited Nelson Mandela in his last hours says he wasn't on life support, appeared to be calmly sleeping and that it was obvious he was "giving up" in what would be his last struggle.
CAPE TOWN, South Africa - He was with Nelson Mandela during all those years the anti-apartheid icon was imprisoned on Robben Island. And, like millions around the world, he has been hit hard by Mandela's death.
DETROIT - A free event has been scheduled in Detroit to honor the life and legacy of former South African President Nelson Mandela.
JOHANNESBURG - Jacob "Baby Jake" Matlala, a four-time world champion in the flyweight and junior flyweight divisions and one of Nelson Mandela's favorite fighters, has died. He was 51.
SUN CITY, South Africa - Ernie Els had another sad day upon learning that his former psychologist, Jos Vanstiphout, had died of a heart attack.
CAPE TOWN, South Africa - Force of nature. Father of all nations. A messiah of our times.
JOHANNESBURG - A silver and blue plaque with the words "Mandela's Place" mounted on the brick wall of a small, dilapidated row house is the only recognition of the world-famous statesman who once lived there: Nelson Mandela.
The passing of Nelson Mandela leaves a waning number of global figures representing freedom and resilience against oppression - and a changing world that makes it harder for anyone to approach Mandela's iconic power.
South Africa's rugby sevens team huddled in the middle of the stadium named after Nelson Mandela, raised their hands to the skies and then won their game Saturday.
The Boston Globe, Dec. 6, 2013
NEW YORK - Mayor Michael Bloomberg says a New York City school will be named after South African leader Nelson Mandela.
NEW YORK - New York City's famed Empire State Building is shining with the colors of South Africa's flag to honor Nelson Mandela.
Mourners sing and dance outside Nelson Mandela's old house in Johannesburg. In Pakistan, children gather around his portrait holding candles. Well-wishers leave flowers outside South African diplomatic missions in Beijing and New York.
EDITOR'S NOTE - On Feb. 11, 1990, AP reporter Greg Myre was in Cape Town when Nelson Mandela was released from prison after 27 years. Mandela walked out of Victor Verster prison hand-in-hand with his then wife, Winnie, as people worldwide rejoiced. The momentous event rivaled the fall of the Berlin Wall just a few months earlier as a symbol of newfound freedom. Twenty-three years after its original publication, the AP is making this story available to its subscribers.
Nelson Mandela led black South Africans in their struggle to throw off the yoke of white rule and then helped the entire nation heal the wounds of racial division.
JOHANNESBURG - What next for South Africa?
DURBAN, South Africa - The Nelson Mandela Championship golf tournament will end one day early next week to recognize the state funeral for the late president.