- Using a smartphone microscope to detect parasites in blood Updated: May-06-15 3:14 pm
WASHINGTON - Prick a finger and have the blood checked for parasites - by smartphone? Scientists are turning those ubiquitous phones into microscopes and other medical tools that could help fight diseases in remote parts of the world.
- Nigerian troops who fled Boko Haram now have them on the run Updated: May-06-15 4:47 am
YOLA, Nigeria - A year ago, a dozen Nigerian troops fighting about 200 Boko Haram militants in the town of Chibok exhausted their ammunition and ran, leaving the road open for the abduction of nearly 300 girls.
- Family of man slain by police on Skid Row files $20M claim Updated: Apr-30-15 6:11 pm
LOS ANGELES - Heleine Tchayou was home in Boston when she saw on the news cellphone video of a mentally ill homeless man killed on Skid Row by Los Angeles police. She exclaimed to a friend and her son-in-law about how horrible it was. It wasn't until days later that she learned the man who died was her son, Charly Keunang.
- Cameroon says remains of American pilot found Updated: Apr-15-15 10:23 am
YAOUNDE, Cameroon - Villagers in Cameroon stumbled across the remains of an American pilot nearly a year after his small anti-poaching plane disappeared over forested, mountainous terrain, authorities said. The pilot's family said the discovery brought some "closure" after not knowing what had happened for so long.
- Gabon chosen as host of 2017 African Cup - again Updated: Apr-08-15 1:09 pm
The African Cup of Nations will return to familiar territory in 2017 after Gabon was chosen as host Wednesday to replace Libya, sending the tournament back to the country that co-hosted it just three years ago.