- Spain to hand over US-Belgian arrested over blood diamonds Updated: Aug-31-15 6:34 am
MADRID - An American-Belgian businessman arrested for suspected involvement in enslavement and pillaging blood diamonds during Sierra Leone's civil war will be handed over shortly to Belgium, a Spanish court official said Monday.
- Yaya Toure opts out of Ivory Coast squad, future unclear Updated: Aug-28-15 3:05 pm
ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast - Yaya Toure asked not to be included in Ivory Coast's squad for its first 2017 African Cup of Nations qualifier and coach Michel Dussuyer says the midfielder is in a "period of reflection" over his international career.
- Pint-size thieves frighten Ivory Coast's largest city Updated: Aug-23-15 11:19 am
ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast - Ivory Coast taxi driver Mamadou Bamba had finished his shift and was walking home around midnight when a dozen children accosted him on the street and demanded his money. When he hesitated, the thieves pulled out small knives and stabbed him eight times before making off with fares totaling more than $100.
- Google expands low-cost phone program in 6 African countries Updated: Aug-18-15 7:50 pm
MOUNTAIN VIEW, California - Google is introducing a low-priced smartphone in six African countries where most people still can't afford an Internet-connected device.
- Notorious extremist said to head al-Qaida West Africa branch Updated: Aug-15-15 5:55 pm
ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast - A militant group that has claimed responsibility for recent violence in Mali has rebranded itself as al-Qaida's West Africa branch while reaffirming that it is led by the notorious extremist Moktar Belmoktar.
- Guinea: Riot police break up rally for ex-military leader Updated: Aug-15-15 4:59 pm
CONAKRY, Guinea - Riot police in Guinea used tear gas to break up a rally on Saturday demanding the return of a former military ruler who wants to run for president despite facing charges related to a 2009 massacre.
- Ivory Coast's president submits candidacy for 2015 elections Updated: Aug-05-15 3:40 pm
ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast - Ivory Coast's president submitted his candidacy on Wednesday for October elections that many hope will remain peaceful after postelection violence during the last polls left the country in crisis.
- 2nd Ivory Coast Special Olympics athlete goes missing Updated: Aug-05-15 12:18 am
LOS ANGELES - A search is underway for a second Ivory Coast Special Olympics athlete who vanished near Los Angeles on Monday night, just hours after his teammate was found safe.
- Ivory Coast convicts ex-leader's top security officers Updated: Aug-04-15 8:10 pm
ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast - Ivory Coast's military court on Tuesday sentenced the former head of security for the ex-first lady to 20 years in prison for acts related to the postelection crisis in 2011.
- Bournemouth signs winger Max Gradel from Saint-Etienne Updated: Aug-04-15 8:20 am
BOURNEMOUTH, England - Premier League newcomer Bournemouth has signed Ivory Coast winger Max Gradel on a four-year deal from French side Saint-Etienne.