- Suspected jihadists attack central Mali, kill official Updated: Oct-10-15 7:44 am
BAMAKO, Mali - A mayor says a group of suspected jihadists attacked a village in central Mali, killing a local official in front of his family.
- Gunmen attack Burkina Faso police station; 3 dead Updated: Oct-09-15 11:16 am
OUAGDOUGOU, Burkina Faso - Authorities say three police officers have been killed after some 50 armed men attacked a police station near Burkina Faso's border with Mali.
- UN envoy says peace process is 'back on track' in Mali Updated: Oct-06-15 6:35 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. envoy for Mali said Tuesday "the peace process is back on track" after violence in August threatened to disrupt an agreement between the government and separatist rebels.
- Mali's government releases rebels in exchange for soldiers Updated: Oct-03-15 1:01 pm
DAKAR, Senegal - Mali's government has exchanged 30 separatist rebels for the release of 16 soldiers, the government and a rebel group said Saturday, a move that shows progress after violence in August threatened to disrupt a peace accord.
- Suspect in Timbuktu mausoleum destruction appears in court Updated: Sep-30-15 6:57 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - An alleged Islamic radical charged with involvement in the 2012 destruction of historic mausoleums and a mosque in Timbuktu made his first appearance at the International Criminal Court on Wednesday.
- As UN peacekeeping veers toward counterterror, US steps in Updated: Sep-26-15 10:38 am
UNITED NATIONS - Along a quiet cease-fire line in Cyprus, U.N. peacekeepers handle an increasingly old-fashioned job: actually keeping the peace. The last deadly incident was in 1996. Today's challenges include keeping poachers and rogue farmers out of no man's land. "Most of the time we don't wear weapons," said the force commander, Maj. Gen. Kristin Lund.
- The Latest: Iran again summons Riyadh envoy over hajj crush Updated: Sep-25-15 12:20 pm
MECCA, Saudi Arabia - The latest developments on the crush and trampling to death of hundreds of Muslim pilgrims near a holy site in Saudi Arabia, the worst hajj disaster in a quarter-century (all times local).
- Mali government postpones local elections amid tensions Updated: Sep-22-15 8:58 am
BAMAKO, Mali - Mali's government says it is postponing regional elections that have been opposed by a separatist group in the north.