- UN: Africa's troubled Sahel region 'alarming' Updated: Dec-12-13 3:22 pm
- US "concerned" by censorship of Mali website Updated: Dec-11-13 7:34 pm
- French say they killed 19 extremists near Timbuktu Updated: Dec-10-13 4:43 pm
- Malian site says it got threats over AP story Updated: Dec-10-13 11:55 am
- AP finds bodies of 6 after ethnic killings in Mali Updated: Dec-09-13 6:23 am
- France tries to rewrite its role in Africa Updated: Dec-08-13 4:49 pm
- UK in talks to help France with CAR logistics Updated: Dec-05-13 3:13 pm
- Official: Algeria kills high-level al-Qaida leader Updated: Dec-05-13 10:40 am
- Remains of 21 people found near barracks in Mali Updated: Dec-04-13 10:37 am
- Mali's jailed coup leader gives version of events Updated: Dec-03-13 10:43 am
- Amnesty calls for release of Mali child soldiers Updated: Nov-30-13 7:28 am
- Suspect in killing of US diplomat arrested in Mali Updated: Nov-28-13 12:17 pm
- NATO: France to pull out of Kosovo mission Updated: Nov-28-13 10:20 am
- Army and demonstrators clash in northern Mali Updated: Nov-28-13 9:43 am
- Mali's coup leader arrested Updated: Nov-27-13 12:58 pm
- France to send 1,000 troops to C. African Republic Updated: Nov-26-13 4:02 pm
- Over a dozen feared dead in Mali clashes Updated: Nov-24-13 1:49 pm
- Embassy: French adviser shot in Malian capital Updated: Nov-22-13 11:21 am
- Rockets fired at northern Malian town of Gao Updated: Nov-21-13 7:06 am
- Explosion wounds 3 French soldiers in north Mali Updated: Nov-20-13 6:26 am
- Dozens of Mali rebels seen arriving in Kidal Updated: Nov-15-13 3:07 pm
- French parish priest kidnapped in north Cameroon Updated: Nov-14-13 12:49 pm
- France says Nigerian militants trained in Mali Updated: Nov-14-13 11:37 am
- French official ID's key suspect in Mali killings Updated: Nov-13-13 12:37 pm
- Security fears escalate in troubled N. Mali town Updated: Nov-13-13 11:46 am
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. Security Council on Thursday called the security situation in Africa's Sahel region "alarming," and it urged states there to better cooperate in fighting terrorist groups and the transnational crimes like drug trafficking that increasingly fund them.
DAKAR, Senegal - The United States says it is "concerned" by reports the Malian government threatened to shut down a Malian website, after it published an AP article.
BAMAKO, Mali - The French military says it has killed at least 19 extremists this week in an operation in the northern desert region near Timbuktu, one of the towns that was under al-Qaida control for much of 2012.
BAMAKO, Mali - The editor-in-chief of a popular news portal in Mali says he took down an Associated Press article detailing crimes allegedly committed by Mali's military, after receiving two threatening phone calls and an email from Mali's government.
TIMBUKTU, Mali - The body of an old man known as The Last Arab of Timbuktu, the symbol of ethnic minority Arabs who died or disappeared in a backlash against the al-Qaida occupation, has been found buried in the desert.
PARIS - France is coming to the rescue again, deploying soldiers in a former African colony to help stave off catastrophe - dirty work that Paris says it doesn't really want. France has its eyes on a dynamic new Africa that is creating jobs, not conflicts.
LONDON - Britain is discussing offering logistical support to France for its military operation in the Central African Republic, officials said Thursday, an effort that could mirror U.K. assistance for a previous French intervention in Mali.
ALGIERS, Algeria - Algerian army helicopters killed a high-level al-Qaida operative and four associates as they sped through the southern Algerian desert, a local official said Thursday.
BAMAKO, Mali - A mass grave containing 21 skulls has been discovered near the Kati military barracks, formerly the fief of the country's military strongman, Mali's chief prosecutor announced Wednesday.
BAMAKO, Mali - The officer who led last year's military coup, and who was arrested last week, says from his jail cell that the soldiers sent to detain him were in fact trying to kill him.
DAKAR, Senegal - Amnesty International is calling on the Malian government to release five adolescents held by the military for up to seven months. An Amnesty delegation met the five teenagers, aged between 15 and 17, at a military camp in Mali's capital.
BAMAKO, Mali - A member of an extremist group wanted in the fatal carjacking of an American official in Niger more than a decade ago has been arrested by French soldiers in northern Mali, prosecutors said.
PRISTINA, Kosovo - NATO's supreme commander says France is pulling out of the peacekeeping mission in Kosovo because of commitments in Mali and Central African Republic.
BAMAKO, Mali - Malian soldiers opened fire on demonstrators in the troubled northern city of Kidal on Thursday, residents said, injuring five people in an altercation that highlighted tensions over the country's new government.
BAMAKO, Mali - The military strongman who led last year's military coup in Mali was arrested Wednesday and charged with kidnapping, hours after he was forcibly escorted from his home in the capital by soldiers.
DAKAR, Senegal - France promised Tuesday to send 1,000 troops to Central African Republic amid warnings about the potential for genocide in the near-anarchic former French colony.
GAO, Mali - Officials say more than a dozen ethnic Peul are feared dead in northern Mali following clashes with members of the Tuareg ethnic group near the border with neighboring Niger.
DOUENTZA, Mali - A French military adviser came under fire from a gunman waiting outside his house Friday in a rare attack on foreigners in the Malian capital, officials said.
BAMAKO, Mali - Residents and military officials say several rockets have landed on the northern Malian town of Gao, a sign of continuing insecurity just days before the country's legislative elections.
KIDAL, Mali - The French military says at least three soldiers have been wounded in northern Mali after an explosion went off near an entrance to the volatile town of Kidal.
BAMAKO, Mali - Dozens of Tuareg rebels have returned to the troubled north Malian town of Kidal, prompting concerns about further unrest, residents said Friday.
PARIS - A French priest was kidnapped from his northern Cameroon parish home by heavily armed men in a region where the radical Islamic sect Boko Haram operates, eyewitnesses and French officials said Thursday.
RABAT, Morocco - Boko Haram, the Nigerian group recently labeled by the U.S. as a terrorist organization, trained with al-Qaida's North African branch in northern Mali, France's foreign minister said Thursday, citing documentary evidence.
PARIS - The Paris prosecutor has confirmed the identity of the prime suspect in the killing of two French radio journalists in Mali last week as a militant with ties to al-Qaida's north Africa branch.
BAMAKO, Mali - About 40 residents of the troubled northern Mali town of Kidal on Wednesday protested the plan for Tuareg rebels to hand back to the government control of an administrative building and a radio station.