- Attack on UN vehicle in Mali's capital, 1 dead Updated: May-26-15 7:40 am
TUNIS, Tunisia - A United Nations official says that armed gunmen fired on a U.N. vehicle in Mali's capital, killing one peacekeeper and injuring another.
- UN officials didn't follow up on sex abuse claims for months Updated: May-26-15 2:00 am
UNITED NATIONS - For months, the U.N.'s top human rights officials knew about allegations of child sexual abuse by French soldiers in Central African Republic, collected by their own staff. But they didn't follow up because they assumed French authorities were handling it, statements marked "strictly confidential" show, even as France pressed the U.N. for more information about the case.
- French forces kill 2 Islamic extremist chiefs in north Mali Updated: May-20-15 12:35 pm
PARIS - The French Defense Ministry says special forces in Mali have killed the leaders of two Islamist extremist groups in fighting in northern Mali.
- Mediator: Main rebel group did not sign Mali peace accord Updated: May-15-15 6:25 pm
BAMAKO, Mali - Mali's main separatist Tuareg rebel group did not sign a peace accord that the government and other armed groups agreed to on Friday, dimming prospects of stability in the West African country.
- French convert to Islam convicted for al-Qaida links in Mali Updated: May-15-15 2:52 pm
PARIS - A Paris court has convicted a 60-year-old Frenchman and sentenced him to eight years in prison for belonging to al-Qaida's North African affiliate and taking part in armed actions in northern Mali.
- Ahead of signing of peace deal, violence flares in Mali Updated: May-07-15 11:46 am
DAKAR, Senegal - Tuareg separatist rebels agreed to sign a peace deal with the government in just over a week's time but that hasn't stopped them from attacking towns and encroaching further south toward Mali's capital. The toll has risen to 30 dead in recent days.
- Jihadists destroy proposed world heritage site in Mali Updated: May-04-15 2:01 pm
BAMAKO, Mali - Jihadists have destroyed a mausoleum in central Mali that had been submitted as a U.N. World Heritage site, leaving behind a warning that they will come after all those who don't follow their strict version of Islam, a witness said Monday.
- Spain premier makes visit to 2 west African countries Updated: May-03-15 1:25 pm
MADRID - Spain's prime minister has started a two-day trip to two west African countries as Europe faces pressure from jihadis and migrants making perilous sea crossings seeking a better life.