- Niger army says it foiled Boko Haram attack Updated: Feb-17-14 11:46 am
- Unknown gunmen fire at home of political leader Updated: Feb-17-14 8:13 am
- Niger extradites ex-Gadhafi official to Libya Updated: Feb-16-14 10:19 am
- Togo's 1st Winter Olympian wants to inspire Africa Updated: Feb-13-14 10:54 am
- Mali music festival returns after end of war Updated: Feb-10-14 1:15 pm
NIAMEY, Niger - The head of Niger's army says the country has foiled an attack that was being planned by radical Islamic militants who are based in neighboring Nigeria.
NIAMEY, Niger - A spokesman for the head of Niger's National Assembly told reporters that assailants had opened fire on the leader's residence overnight in an apparent assassination attempt. Assembly President Hama Amadou is away on a business trip and no one was hurt during the attack.
NIAMEY, Niger - Niger says it has extradited a former high-ranking intelligence official under Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi who was "plotting against the Libyan state."
KRASNAYA POLYANA, Russia - Togo's first competitor at the Winter Olympics, cross-country skier Mathilde-Amivi Petitjean, hopes her debut in Sochi will inspire other African athletes to compete in winter sports.
SEGOU, Mali - Long before Mali captured the global spotlight as an al-Qaida training ground where French soldiers had to intervene, the West African nation was celebrated for producing some of the biggest stars in world music.