- Nigerian president declares wealth, showing 'austere' living Updated: Sep-03-15 11:07 pm
ABUJA, Nigeria - The wealth declaration of Nigeria's new president shows he has been living "an austere and Spartan lifestyle," with $150,000 in his personal account, contrary to what many might expect of one who has held a number of top government positions, an official said Thursday.
- Official: 9,500 Nigerian refugees return from Cameroon Updated: Sep-03-15 2:32 pm
YOLA, Nigeria - At least 9,500 people have returned to Nigeria since the Cameroonian government said last month it will expel unregistered Nigerian refugees as part of the fight against Boko Haram, a Nigerian official said.
- Nigerian army reinstates more than 3,000 soldiers fired Updated: Sep-03-15 12:19 pm
ABUJA, Nigeria - More than 3,000 soldiers who were dismissed from the Nigerian army for alleged indiscipline ?in the ongoing war with Boko Haram Islamic extremists in the northeast of the country have been reinstated, an army spokesman said Thursday.
- Toure missing as Ivory Coast launches African title defense Updated: Sep-03-15 6:26 am
CAPE TOWN, South Africa - Ivory Coast begins the defense of its African title this weekend without Yaya Toure after the team captain asked not to be selected while he considers his international future.
- Boko Haram extremists in Nigeria kill 26, including children Updated: Sep-02-15 11:17 am
MAIDUGURI, Nigeria - Twenty- six people were killed in Nigeria' s northeastern Borno state by attackers on horseback believed to be rebels of the Islamic extremist group Boko Haram, witnesses said.
- Ex-Nigeria player latest African hoping to succeed Blatter Updated: Sep-02-15 10:50 am
The men from Africa who say they want to be FIFA president may all be little-known and have only a remote chance of securing football's most important job, but the continent will still play a big role in who succeeds Sepp Blatter.
- Nigeria to deploy drones to curb oil theft Updated: Sep-01-15 7:34 pm
ABUJA, Nigeria - The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation will deploy drones across the territorial waters of Africa's largest oil producer as part of a series of new efforts to help curb rampant oil theft, a company official said Tuesday.
- Nigeria ex-security adviser denies weapons charge Updated: Sep-01-15 10:14 am
ABUJA, Nigeria - Nigeria's former national security adviser has pleaded not guilty to charges of possessing weapons illegally.
- Nigeria wins African basketball title, gets Olympic spot Updated: Aug-30-15 8:54 pm
RADES, Tunisia - Nigeria won its first African basketball championship and earned a spot in the 2016 Olympics.
- Chad executes 10 Boko Haram members 1 day after verdict Updated: Aug-29-15 12:49 pm
N'DJAMENA, Chad - Chad executed by firing squad 10 members of Boko Haram on Saturday, the security minister said, marking the first use of the death penalty since the country bolstered its anti-terror measures last month.
- Officials: 7 die in Nigeria air force plane crash Updated: Aug-29-15 11:46 am
KADUNA, Nigeria - The Nigerian air force says one of its aircraft has crashed into a residential house in Kaduna state killing all four crew and three passengers.
- African superstars, Bono in campaign to empower women Updated: Aug-28-15 6:34 pm
LAGOS, Nigeria - African stars joined U2 frontman Bono on Friday in a campaign to use music to help empower women around the world.
- UN to support initiatives by new Nigerian president Updated: Aug-24-15 2:35 pm
ABUJA, Nigeria - U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon met with President Muhammadu Buhari Monday and promised solidarity in the new Nigerian leader's fight against insecurity, unemployment and corruption.
- Nigerian army chief escapes Boko Haram ambush Updated: Aug-22-15 2:41 pm
NGALA, Nigeria - Nigeria's new army chief drove to the frontline of the war on Boko Haram and narrowly missed an ambush that killed one soldier and wounded two.
- Togo refugees: On the run for 10 years, no peace in sight Updated: Aug-18-15 11:25 am
LAGOS, Nigeria - Asylum seekers who fled political violence in Togo 10 years ago are now seeking refuge in Lagos, Nigeria's commercial capital.
- Cameroon pledges 2,450 troops to anti-Boko Haram force Updated: Aug-15-15 7:13 am
YAOUNDE, Cameroon - Cameroon's president has vowed to send 2,450 troops to join a regional army to fight Boko Haram, nearly tripling his initial pledge.
- Rescuers pull 2 bodies from lagoon in Nigeria chopper crash Updated: Aug-13-15 4:34 pm
LAGOS, Nigeria - Rescuers pulled bodies of two crew members from the water Thursday, with an Oklahoma man among six killed when a helicopter flying from an offshore oil rig plunged into a lagoon in Nigeria's commercial capital, Lagos.
- Meningitis epidemic threat in West Africa, but few vaccines Updated: Aug-07-15 11:10 am
LAGOS, Nigeria - International health officials are scrambling, without much success, to find meningitis C vaccines as an outbreak of the child-killing disease threatens to balloon into an epidemic.
- Mississippi woman indicted in Nigerian scam Updated: Aug-06-15 8:22 am
GULFPORT, Mississippi - A Mississippi woman first believed to be a victim of a Nigerian scam has been indicted by a federal grand jury in Gulfport along with a Nigerian man and five others.