- Sydney signs Senegal player Tavares for 2 more years Updated: May-20-15 10:56 pm
SYDNEY - Sydney FC has extended the contract of French-born Senegal international Mickael Tavares for a further two A-League seasons.
- Aid group: Attackers raped more than 120 women in east Congo Updated: May-14-15 4:08 pm
DAKAR, Senegal - Members of an armed militia raped women en masse in Congo earlier this month after attacking and looting an eastern town, the Doctors Without Borders charity group said Thursday.
- UN: 357 child soldiers released in C. African Republic Updated: May-14-15 12:49 pm
DAKAR, Senegal - Armed groups in Central African Republic freed more than 350 child soldiers Thursday in the largest such release since the country became engulfed in sectarian violence in late 2013, the U.N. children's agency said.
- Senegalese in the capital flock to the beach for workouts Updated: May-12-15 11:58 am
DAKAR, Senegal - No headphones needed. The sound of waves serves as a playlist for hundreds of fit, sport loving Senegalese who swarm to the beach daily in Dakar.
- Panel calls for change at WHO after slow response to Ebola Updated: May-11-15 11:40 am
DAKAR, Senegal - An independent panel of experts said Monday that "deep and substantial" change is needed at the World Health Organization following its slow response to early warnings about West Africa's Ebola outbreak.
- Ahead of signing of peace deal, violence flares in Mali Updated: May-07-15 11:46 am
DAKAR, Senegal - Tuareg separatist rebels agreed to sign a peace deal with the government in just over a week's time but that hasn't stopped them from attacking towns and encroaching further south toward Mali's capital. The toll has risen to 30 dead in recent days.
- Senegal pledges 2,100 troops to aid effort in Yemen Updated: May-04-15 3:14 pm
DAKAR, Senegal - Senegal is sending 2,100 troops to help back the military intervention led by Saudi Arabia that is underway in Yemen, becoming the first sub-Saharan African country to contribute soldiers to the effort, the country's foreign minister said Monday.
- Spain premier makes visit to 2 west African countries Updated: May-03-15 1:25 pm
MADRID - Spain's prime minister has started a two-day trip to two west African countries as Europe faces pressure from jihadis and migrants making perilous sea crossings seeking a better life.