- President says Gambia to shift from English Updated: Mar-09-14 9:11 am
- Quiet diplomacy faulted for Africa's anti-gay laws Updated: Feb-20-14 6:26 am
- Gay rights activist arrested in Cameroon Updated: Feb-17-14 2:26 pm
- Campaign targets artists supporting Gambian leader Updated: Feb-16-14 10:58 am
- Senegal tenants celebrate mandated rent cuts Updated: Feb-13-14 4:25 pm
- Red Cross: 4 employees missing in northern Mali Updated: Feb-10-14 12:49 pm
- Britain warns of 'anti-UK sentiment' in Gambia Updated: Feb-10-14 10:10 am
- Future of C. African Republic Muslims imperiled Updated: Feb-08-14 5:01 pm
DAKAR, Senegal - Gambia's president said that he wants to implement a policy change that would shift the country's language from English to a local language.
DAKAR, Senegal - Last month, Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni met in his office with a team of U.S.-based rights activists concerned about legislation that would impose life sentences for some homosexual acts. South African retired Archbishop Desmond Tutu joined them by phone, pointing out similarities between Uganda's Anti-Homosexuality Bill and racist laws enforced under South Africa's former apartheid government.
DAKAR, Senegal - Activists say the vice president of a Cameroonian gay rights organization was arrested after his name was included on a list of presumed homosexuals given to police.
DAKAR, Senegal - Civil society groups have criticized prominent Senegalese musicians for statements supporting Gambian President Yahya Jammeh, whose government is notorious for human rights abuses.
DAKAR, Senegal - A new law mandating across-the-board rent reductions in Senegal is a double blessing for real estate agent Abdul Aziz Sylla. Along with paying 14 percent less each month for his family's three-bedroom Dakar apartment, the 36-year-old has been busy brokering deals on behalf of clients flush with newfound purchasing power - and cashing in on a flurry of commissions.
DAKAR, Senegal - A Red Cross spokesman says a vehicle carrying five people has gone missing in northern Mali.
DAKAR, Senegal - The United Kingdom has warned its citizens of rising anti-British rhetoric from Gambia President Yahya Jammeh, who last year accused the former colonial power of organizing coup attempts in the West African nation.
DAKAR, Senegal - The mob violence wracking Central African Republic imperils the future of the country's Muslims, with tens of thousands fleeing the daily violence and untold numbers killed.