- AA Ghent wins first league title, beating Standard Liege Updated: May-21-15 5:40 pm
BRUSSELS - AA Ghent won its first league title on Thursday after it beat Standard Liege 2-0 in the penultimate round of league playoffs.
- Sharp-tongued Democratic Rep. Winkler to resign, move abroad Updated: May-21-15 1:24 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - A Minnesota Democratic legislator who fought to raise the minimum wage and is known for speeches that mocked Republican rivals as well as politicians in his own party said Thursday he will give up his seat in the state House as his family moves abroad.
- For one Dutchman, life morphed from discos to jihad Updated: May-20-15 9:13 pm
LEIDEN, Netherlands - The father says he did not raise his son as a Muslim - and he regrets his decision now.
- AP Interview: US secrecy in trade, terror riles EU watchdog Updated: May-20-15 7:28 pm
BRUSSELS - The U.S. government's restrictions on access to documents and its insistence on secrecy are undermining trust in trans-Atlantic trade talks and anti-terror data exchanges, the European Union's transparency watchdog said Wednesday.
- Bolt to run at season-ending meeting in Brussels Updated: May-14-15 5:42 am
BRUSSELS - Usain Bolt will run at the season-ending Memorial Van Damme Diamond League meeting on Sept. 11.
- Owner of Stop & Shop in merger talks with Belgian retailer Updated: May-12-15 7:23 am
AMSTERDAM - Dutch retailer Royal Ahold NV, operator of the U.S. supermarket chains Stop & Shop and Giant, says it is in talks with Belgian counterpart Delhaize Group about a possible merger.
- 2nd player dies of cardiac arrest in Belgium in 2 weeks Updated: May-11-15 7:35 am
ANTWERP, Belgium - A 23-year-old defender from a lower-league soccer club has become the second Belgian player to die of cardiac arrest in less than two weeks.
- Uber drivers beware! Car at risk in Brussels after ruling Updated: May-04-15 12:26 pm
BRUSSELS - A driver for the Uber mobile app taxi service had his car confiscated Monday after a Brussels court said the ride-sharing service does not respect taxi regulations in the Belgian capital.
- Belgian footballer dies 3 days after heart failure on field Updated: Apr-30-15 11:26 am
BRUSSELS - Lokeren says defender Gregory Mertens died on Thursday, three days after he suffered heart failure during a training match.
- EU lawmakers hike assistant budget amid calls for new rules Updated: Apr-29-15 11:25 am
BRUSSELS - European Union lawmakers voted Wednesday to increase the budget for paying their personal assistants, a 200 million-euro ($220 million) fund that critics say is ripe for financial and political abuse.
- Belgian player remains critical after heart failure on field Updated: Apr-29-15 8:45 am
BRUSSELS - Lokeren defender Gregory Mertens remained in critical condition on Wednesday, two days after he suffered heart failure during a training match.
- Valverde times sprint perfectly to win Liege-Bastogne-Liege Updated: Apr-26-15 11:47 am
LIEGE, Belgium - Alejandro Valverde timed his attack to perfection to win the Liege-Bastogne-Liege classic for the third time in his career on Sunday, clinching the Ardennes double after his midweek victory in the Walloon Arrow.