- Sharapova advances to Stuttgart quarterfinals Updated: Apr-24-14 5:13 pm
- Schalke exec criticized over possible Kremlin trip Updated: Apr-24-14 1:24 pm
- F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone rejects bribery charges Updated: Apr-24-14 9:34 am
- Veteran striker Ivica Olic extends Wolfsburg stay Updated: Apr-24-14 9:05 am
- Time running out for Bundesliga's bottom 3 Updated: Apr-24-14 6:47 am
- Germany puts military exports to Russia on hold Updated: Apr-24-14 6:22 am
- Draghi wants to publish ECB minutes Updated: Apr-24-14 5:25 am
- German business confidence rebounds in April Updated: Apr-24-14 4:16 am
- Benzema gives Real Madrid 1-0 win over Bayern Updated: Apr-24-14 12:09 am
- Benzema guides Madrid to 1-0 win over Bayern Updated: Apr-23-14 6:15 pm
- Liverpool, Sterling top this week's AP soccer poll Updated: Apr-23-14 10:59 am
- German, French ministers visit Moldova, Georgia Updated: Apr-23-14 8:25 am
- Struggling Nuremberg fires coach Gertjan Verbeek Updated: Apr-23-14 5:12 am
- Former Iron Curtain still barrier for deer Updated: Apr-23-14 2:55 am
- Ex-champ Briggs disrupts Klitschko news conference Updated: Apr-22-14 11:24 am
- NATO minesweepers set off on Baltic deployment Updated: Apr-22-14 8:14 am
- Kanepi advances in Stuttgart, Wozniacki pulls out Updated: Apr-21-14 5:00 pm
- Cologne returns to Bundesliga as 2nd tier champ Updated: Apr-21-14 4:30 pm
- Liverpool closes in on Premier League title Updated: Apr-20-14 6:56 pm
- Guardiola, Mourinho back in Madrid for CL semis Updated: Apr-20-14 6:54 pm
- Leverkusen, Stuttgart claim vital Bundesliga wins Updated: Apr-20-14 1:58 pm
- World War II vet opens up about captivity Updated: Apr-20-14 1:26 pm
- Fed Cup: Germany leads Australia 2-0 in semifinal Updated: Apr-19-14 3:17 am
- Researcher finds flaw in Samsung fingerprint check Updated: Apr-17-14 3:34 pm
- Croatia extradites ex-spy to Germany Updated: Apr-17-14 2:19 pm
STUTTGART, Germany - Defending champion Maria Sharapova defeated Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova 6-4, 6-3 on Thursday to set up a Porsche Grand Prix quarterfinal with top seed Agnieszka Radwanska.
BERLIN - The chairman of the German soccer team Schalke is drawing criticism for suggesting his team would accept an invitation to Moscow from President Vladimir Putin. The Russian energy giant Gazprom is a team sponsor.
MUNICH - Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone rejected accusations of bribery as he went on trial Thursday in a case that could threaten his grip on the sport, telling a Munich court that he was blackmailed by a German banker who received a disputed $44 million payment.
WOLFSBURG, Germany - Veteran Croatia striker Ivica Olic has extended his deal with Bundesliga side Wolfsburg to 2016.
BERLIN - Three rounds of games remain in the Bundesliga, increasing the pressure on the sides fighting to avoid the drop and those battling for European football next season. League champion Bayern Munich is preoccupied with overturning its narrow loss to Real Madrid in the Champions League semifinal, while time is running out for Eintracht Braunschweig, Nuremberg and Hamburger SV. Stuttgart, which took a big step toward survival last weekend, gets the 32nd round of games underway at Hannover on Friday. Here are five things to know:
BERLIN - The German government says it isn't authorizing any exports of military goods to Russia at present "because of the current political situation," leaving nearly 70 export applications on hold.
FRANKFURT, Germany - European Central Bank head Mario Draghi says the bank's rate-setting council should publish a written account of its deliberations - without names.
BERLIN - German business confidence has rebounded after dipping amid fears about the possible economic impact of the crisis in Ukraine.
MADRID - Real Madrid hopes a narrow home win put it in position to reach the Champions League final for the first time since 2002.
MADRID - Karim Benzema's goal gave Real Madrid a 1-0 first-leg victory over title holder Bayern Munich on Wednesday, but the nine-time champions may live to regret the missed chances in the first leg of their Champions League semifinal.
Liverpool tops the Associated Press global football poll this week for the fifth time this season and for the second consecutive week after its 3-2 win over Norwich kept it atop the English Premier League.
BERLIN - The French and German foreign ministers are making a joint visit to Moldova and Georgia, former Soviet republics that have breakaway regions with Russian-speaking populations, as tensions simmer over Russia's intentions in Ukraine.
NUREMBERG, Germany - Struggling Nuremberg fired Dutch coach Gertjan Verbeek on Wednesday in a bid to stave off Bundesliga relegation with three games of the season remaining.
PRAGUE - The Iron Curtain was traced by an electrified barbed-wire fence that isolated the communist world from the West.
DUESSELDORF, Germany - Former heavyweight champion Shannon Briggs disrupted a news conference on Tuesday ahead of Wladimir Klitschko's title bout against Alex Leapai - demanding a fight of his own against the reigning champion.
KIEL, Germany - Five NATO mine-hunting ships set off Tuesday on a deployment in the Baltic Sea, part of the alliance's efforts to strengthen its presence in Europe's ex-communist east as members there worry about Russia's intentions in Ukraine.
COLOGNE, Germany - Cologne defeated Bochum 3-1 at home to secure its return to the Bundesliga on Monday after two years in the second division.
LONDON - Liverpool secured a return to the Champions League on Sunday - but there's a much bigger prize just around the corner.
BERLIN - Bayer Leverkusen reclaimed fourth place in the Bundesliga with a 4-1 with at relegation-threatened Nuremberg and Stuttgart eased its relegation fears with a 3-1 win over Schalke on Sunday.
BUHL, Idaho - A sleeve full of potatoes.
BRISBANE, Australia - Andrea Petkovic and Angelique Kerber had straight-set wins on Saturday to give Germany a 2-0 lead over Australia in their Fed Cup semifinal and primed to reach its first final in 21 years.
BERLIN - A Berlin-based researcher says he has managed to fool the fingerprint-based security system on Samsung's new Galaxy S5 smartphone using wood glue and a picture of the original print.
BERLIN - A former top spy in Yugoslavia's feared secret service has been extradited to Germany, where he is wanted in connection with murder of a political dissident 31 years ago.