- Siemens' underlying profit jumps as order book swells Updated: May-04-16 2:30 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Siemens AG, maker of heavy industrial equipment including power stations and trains, saw net profit fall in the most recent quarter due to large one-time gains in the year earlier period.
- US combat death in Iraq reflects intensifying war Updated: May-03-16 10:48 pm
STUTTGART, Germany - The combat death of a U.S. Navy SEAL who was advising Kurdish forces in Iraq coincides with a gradually deepening American role in fighting a resilient Islamic State, even as the Iraqis struggle to muster the military and political strength to defeat the militants.
- Atletico Madrid reaches Champions League final on away goals Updated: May-03-16 6:26 pm
MUNICH - A goal from Antoine Griezmann sent Atletico Madrid to the Champions League final for the second time in three seasons despite a 2-1 defeat at Bayern Munich on Tuesday.
- US defense secretary says Russia is 'nuclear saber-rattling' Updated: May-03-16 2:20 pm
STUTTGART, Germany - U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter blasted what the U.S. and its allies see as Russian aggression in Europe, saying Tuesday that Moscow is "going backward in time" with warlike actions that compel an American military buildup on NATO's eastern flank.
- Gusty winds in Berlin terrify people in passenger balloon Updated: May-03-16 1:54 pm
BERLIN - Several people were treated for shock after a helium passenger balloon in Berlin was shaken around wildly by gusty winds for several minutes on Tuesday afternoon, but nobody was injured, the city's fire department said.
- German comedian bashes Merkel's response to his Erdogan poem Updated: May-03-16 12:35 pm
BERLIN - A German comedian has sharply criticized Chancellor Angela Merkel for "serving me up for tea" to the Turkish president in a heated dispute over a poem he read on German TV.
- Atletico Madrid returns to lead AP Global Football 10 Updated: May-03-16 11:06 am
LONDON - Atletico Madrid led the Associated Press Global Football 10 on Tuesday after two victories in a week maintained its bid to win the Champions League and Spanish league.
- Profits sagged at Swiss bank UBS as clients held back Updated: May-03-16 9:53 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Swiss bank UBS Group AG says first-quarter profits dropped as turbulent markets and global economic and political uncertainty deterred clients from doing business.
- Suspended executive at VW's Porsche brand is replaced Updated: May-03-16 9:41 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Volkswagen's Porsche division has replaced a top vehicle development manager suspended since the start of the Volkswagen group's scandal over diesel cars rigged to cheat on emissions tests.
- 'Sharia police' that patrolled German city to be tried Updated: May-03-16 9:20 am
BERLIN - A German court says a group of Islamic extremists who patrolled the streets of the city of Wuppertal in orange vests with the words "Sharia police" can be tried for violating laws against wearing uniforms with political messages.
- German authorities say couple killed 2 women Updated: May-03-16 8:51 am
BERLIN - A couple in custody for allegedly holding a woman captive for nearly two months and abusing her so badly that she died are believed also to have killed and dismembered a second woman, German authorities said Tuesday.
- German Jews divided over fears of 1 million Muslim newcomers Updated: May-03-16 7:31 am
BERLIN - When the leader of Germany's Jews spoke out against the flow of Muslim migrants to Europe, a rabbinical student denounced his views as racist - and ignited a debate over whether Jews are right to fear unprecedented levels of immigration from Muslim lands traditionally hostile to Israel.
- BMW enjoys strong Europe, Asia sales but cautious on outlook Updated: May-03-16 6:02 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Luxury automaker BMW says net profit rose 8.2 percent in the first quarter thanks to strong sales in Europe and Asia, but the company gave a restrained outlook for the rest of the year.
- Bremen defeats Stuttgart 6-2 to leave Bundesliga drop zone Updated: May-02-16 5:38 pm
BERLIN - Werder Bremen routed Stuttgart 6-2 to leave the Bundesliga relegation zone at the visitors' expense in the German league's first Monday night game for 16 years.
- US defense chief: NATO ponders ground force in Baltics Updated: May-02-16 4:43 pm
STUTTGART, Germany - The NATO alliance is considering establishing a rotational ground force in the Baltic states and possibly Poland, reflecting deepening worry about Russian military assertiveness, U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter said Monday.
- German intel chief says terrorism threat "highly complex" Updated: May-02-16 7:48 am
BERLIN - The head of Germany's domestic intelligence agency says the deadly attacks in Paris and Brussels show the "highly complex" nature of the terrorism threat facing Europe.
- Kohlschreiber defeats Thiem in 3 sets for 3rd BMW open title Updated: May-01-16 11:44 am
MUNICH - Philipp Kohlschreiber defeated Dominic Thiem of Austria 7-6 (7), 4-6, 7-6 (4) to win his third BMW Open title on Sunday.
- Nationalist party declares Islam doesn't belong to Germany Updated: May-01-16 9:53 am
BERLIN - Members of the nationalist Alternative for Germany party have backed a political program that says Islam doesn't belong to Germany and supports a ban against minarets, muezzin calls and headscarves for women and girls in school.
- Vikings pick WR Boehringer, a European first for NFL draft Updated: Apr-30-16 8:04 pm
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minnesota - Rookie minicamp in Minnesota next weekend will have a German accent.
- Bayern winger Ribery a doubt for Atletico with back injury Updated: Apr-30-16 1:10 pm
- Educated migrants have edge as Germany aims for integration Updated: Apr-30-16 7:14 am
BERLIN - Wafaa Askar arrived in Germany barely a year and a half ago from her Syrian homeland, but she already speaks German fluently and counts more Germans than Syrians as friends. Orhan Sahin arrived from Turkey more than three decades ago, but still feels like a foreigner and speaks in broken German.
- US places 5 countries on trade monitoring list Updated: Apr-29-16 6:06 pm
WASHINGTON - The Treasury Department has placed five countries - China, Japan, Germany, South Korea and Taiwan - on a new monitoring list designed to pressure foreign governments to tackle large trade imbalances with the United States.
- Former SS Auschwitz guard apologizes at trial in Germany Updated: Apr-29-16 8:50 am
DETMOLD, Germany - A 94-year-old former SS sergeant admitted in court Friday that he had served as an Auschwitz death camp guard, apologizing to Nazi Holocaust survivors looking on in a German courtroom that even though he was aware Jews were being gassed and their corpses burned, he did nothing to try to stop it.
- Refugee baby Serbia Merkel in transit across Europe Updated: Apr-28-16 1:04 pm
KRNJACA, Serbia - She has wide brown eyes, rosy cheeks and thick black hair. Her name is Serbia Merkel al-Mustafa.
- Germany: Teens who bombed Sikh temple were IS sympathizers Updated: Apr-28-16 12:30 pm
BERLIN - German authorities say two teenagers suspected of carrying out a bombing on a Sikh temple in the western city of Essen were sympathizers of the Islamic State group.