- Jurgen Klinsmann sends Fabian Johnson home Updated: Oct-12-15 9:25 pm
HARRISON, New Jersey - Fabian Johnson was told to return to Germany by U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann, who was displeased the defender took himself out of last weekend's 3-2 loss to Mexico in the 111th minute.
- Thousands rally at German protest against refugees, Islam Updated: Oct-12-15 4:55 pm
DRESDEN, Germany - Thousands of Germans took part Monday in a protest organized by the anti-Islam group PEGIDA, almost one year after it held its first rally in the eastern city of Dresden.
- The Latest: Suicide bombers exploded TNT at peace rally Updated: Oct-12-15 3:20 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - Developments relating to Saturday's deadly bombings targeting a peace rally in the Turkish capital of Ankara. All times local.
- Gasparyan rallies to beat Witthoeft at WTA event in Linz Updated: Oct-12-15 2:33 pm
LINZ, Austria - Margarita Gasparyan of Russia rallied from a break down in the final set to beat Carina Witthoeft of Germany 6-3, 2-6, 6-3 on Monday on the opening day of the Generali Ladies.
- Belgium marks WWI execution of Britain nurse 100 years ago Updated: Oct-12-15 9:42 am
BRUSSELS - Belgium on Monday commemorated the heroism of British World War I nurse Edith Cavell a century after she was executed by the German forces that occupied the country.
- Germany's Merkel to visit Turkey on Sunday Updated: Oct-12-15 7:18 am
BERLIN - The German government says Chancellor Angela Merkel will travel to Turkey on Sunday for talks with the country's leaders on terrorism, Syria and the migrant crisis.
- Iran pulls stand from Frankfurt book fair over Rushdie Updated: Oct-12-15 5:24 am
BERLIN - The Frankfurt Book Fair says the Iranian government has canceled plans for a national stand at this year's event to protest a planned appearance by British author Salman Rushdie.
- Germany's Ludwig, Walkenhorst win FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open Updated: Oct-11-15 11:24 pm
PUERTO VALLARTA, Mexico - Germany's Laura Ludwig and Kira Walkenhorst won the season-opening FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open on Sunday, beating Brazil's Eduarda Lisboa and Elize Maia 21-18, 21-16.
- Germany, Poland qualify for Euro 2016; Ireland into playoffs Updated: Oct-11-15 4:44 pm
LEIPZIG, Germany - Germany and Poland clinched their places at next year's European Championship with 2-1 home victories over Georgia and Ireland in their final qualifying games on Sunday.
- Merkel: No need for new taxes to pay for caring for migrants Updated: Oct-11-15 9:46 am
BERLIN - Germany will not have to raise taxes to help pay for the hundreds of thousands of refugees and other migrants who have been flooding into the country, Chancellor Angela Merkel said in an interview released Sunday, and the government should have new regulations in place by November to help deal with the influx.
- Lawyer for relatives of Germanwings victims may sue in US Updated: Oct-11-15 8:56 am
BERLIN - A lawyer representing more than three dozen families whose loved ones were lost in the Germanwings plane crash in March says his clients want to sue for compensation in the United States, where courts could decide upon much larger settlements.
- Historic German nutcracker company declares bankruptcy Updated: Oct-11-15 8:30 am
BERLIN - One of Germany's largest producers of traditional wooden nutcrackers has filed for bankruptcy, citing increased labor costs due to the country's new minimum wage.
- Germany's Jan Frodeno wins Ironman World Championship Updated: Oct-10-15 10:05 pm
KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii - Germany's Jan Frodeno won the Ironman World Championship on Saturday, pulling away in the bike leg in scorching conditions for his first victory in the event.
- Belarusian Nobel winner says Lukashenko to be re-elected Updated: Oct-10-15 12:22 pm
BERLIN - Svetlana Alexievich, the Belarusian author who just won the Nobel Prize for literature, said Saturday there is no doubt Alexander Lukashenko will be re-elected president this weekend because the process is entirely under his control.
- Thousands demonstrate in Germany against EU-US trade deal Updated: Oct-10-15 9:45 am
BERLIN - Tens of thousands of people marched through downtown Berlin on Saturday to protest a planned trans-Atlantic free trade pact.
- Germany hopes to exhibit some works from Gurlitt collection Updated: Oct-09-15 1:25 pm
BERLIN - Germany's culture minister hopes to put some works from the trove of priceless art accumulated by the late collector Cornelius Gurlitt on exhibition next year.
- Groin injury expected to rule Goetze out until 2016 Updated: Oct-09-15 12:03 pm
BERLIN - Germany forward Mario Goetze could be out until the end of the year with a groin injury he picked up in the loss to Ireland.
- The Latest: Nobel chair hopes prize may be example to Libya Updated: Oct-09-15 8:51 am
OSLO, Norway - The latest developments in the awarding of the 2015 Nobel Peace Prize. All times local.
- The Latest: Hungarian pres. warns of risks in migrant crisis Updated: Oct-09-15 7:53 am
ATHENS, Greece - The latest developments as hundreds of thousands of people seeking safety make an epic trek through Europe. All times local.
- EXCHANGE: Many point with pride at World War II service Updated: Oct-09-15 6:15 am
DECATUR, Illinois - Seventy years ago, millions of Americans were returning home from their posts on ships, remote islands in the Pacific Ocean and occupation duty in Europe.
- Iran to boycott Frankfurt Book Fair over Rushdie appearance Updated: Oct-08-15 4:37 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran is boycotting this year's Frankfurt Book Fair in protest over a planned opening speech at the venue by India-born British novelist Salman Rushdie.
- VW executive apologizes but says scandal not his fault Updated: Oct-08-15 4:27 pm
WASHINGTON - Volkswagen's top U.S. executive offered deep apologies yet sought to distance himself Thursday from the emissions scandal enveloping the world's largest automaker, asserting top corporate officials had no knowledge of the cheating software installed in 11 million diesel cars.
- After Dortmund deeds, Klopp has Liverpool dreaming again Updated: Oct-08-15 4:25 pm
BERLIN - German football was left almost in a state of mourning when Juergen Klopp announced his departure from Borussia Dortmund after seven seasons in charge last April.
- Deutsche Bank shares slip on dividend warning Updated: Oct-08-15 1:22 pm
BERLIN - Shares in Deutsche Bank dropped Thursday after the company said it would post a multibillion-euro loss in the third quarter and may scrap this year's dividend payment.
- German prosecutors conduct searches in VW emissions probe Updated: Oct-08-15 9:48 am
BERLIN - German prosecutors carried out searches Thursday in connection with their investigation of the Volkswagen emissions scandal, seeking material that would help clarify who was responsible for the cheating.