- 2 men on trial in Germany accused of joining Islamic State Updated: Aug-03-15 2:22 pm
BERLIN - A German court on Monday began hearing the case against two men accused of joining the Islamic State group, with one of the defendants saying before the trial that he would reveal details about the inner workings of the organization.
- Archer Daniels Midland completes sale of chocolate business Updated: Aug-03-15 11:40 am
NEW YORK - Archer Daniels Midland says it sold its chocolate business to agribusiness conglomerate Cargill for $440 million.
- German mechanic wins pay for changing, but not for showers Updated: Aug-03-15 9:52 am
BERLIN - A German court says a municipal bus mechanic can have hundreds of euros (dollars) in back pay for time spent changing into his work clothes - but not for time he spent showering.
- Ronaldo, Benzema to miss preseason tournament Updated: Aug-03-15 9:32 am
MADRID - Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema will miss two preseason matches with Real Madrid after picking up injuries during training.
- German gov't stresses press freedom amid treason probe Updated: Aug-03-15 8:53 am
BERLIN - Chancellor Angela Merkel's chief of staff stressed the German government's commitment to protecting press freedom Monday in the wake of a much-criticized decision by federal prosecutors to open a treason investigation against two journalists.
- German immigrant population at 10.9M, highest since 2005 Updated: Aug-03-15 6:53 am
BERLIN - German authorities say the number of immigrants living in the country reached 10.9 million last year - a million more than three years earlier, and the highest figure since they started compiling numbers a decade ago.
- German automakers buying Nokia's HERE map business Updated: Aug-03-15 4:40 am
BERLIN - A consortium of German automakers Audi, BMW and Daimler announced Monday it is buying Nokia Corp.'s HERE map business in a deal that values the unit at 2.8 billion euros ($3.1 billion) and secures their access to technology that could eventually be used for driverless cars.
- Nadal beats Fognini to win Hamburg Open Updated: Aug-02-15 10:41 am
HAMBURG, Germany - Top-seeded Rafael Nadal overcame some sloppy play on his beloved clay to beat Fabio Fognini 7-5, 7-5 and win the Hamburg Open for the second time on Sunday.
- Wolfsburg beats Bayern on penalties to win German Super Cup Updated: Aug-01-15 5:26 pm
WOLFSBURG, Germany - Substitute Nicklas Bendtner scored a late equalizer and converted the decisive penalty to give Wolfsburg the German Super Cup title over Bayern Munich on Saturday.
- Berlin landmark daubed with anti-Semitic graffiti Updated: Aug-01-15 10:59 am
BERLIN - Berlin police say a well-known city landmark has been defaced with anti-Semitic graffiti in an incident that comes as thousands of Jewish athletes are in the German capital for the European Maccabi Games.
- Stephan Beckenbauer, son of Franz, dies at 46 Updated: Aug-01-15 8:06 am
MUNICH - Bayern Munich says the son of former club great Franz Beckenbauer, Stephan, has died after a long illness. He was 46.
- Germany shelves Nazi crimes probe of US man Updated: Aug-01-15 12:36 am
BERLIN - German prosecutors have shelved their Nazi war crimes investigation of a retired Minnesota carpenter whom The Associated Press exposed as a former commander in an SS-led unit, saying Friday that the 96-year-old is not fit for trial.
- Business events scheduled for the coming month Updated: Jul-31-15 1:43 pm
All times are Eastern
- WikiLeaks says US spied on Japanese government, companies Updated: Jul-31-15 10:13 am
TOKYO - The WikiLeaks website published documents Friday that it said shows the U.S. government spied on Japanese officials and companies.
- Coach Pep Guardiola still undecided about Bayern future Updated: Jul-31-15 8:48 am
MUNICH - Shortly before kicking off his third and possibly final season in charge, coach Pep Guardiola is still undecided about his Bayern Munich future.
- Court: German spy agency need not give info on NSA list Updated: Jul-31-15 8:05 am
BERLIN - A German federal court has ruled that the country's spy agency is under no obligation to divulge to the media a list of names compiled from search terms provided to it by the U.S. National Security Agency.
- Airbus takes 290M euro charge for military transport crash Updated: Jul-31-15 3:31 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Plane maker Airbus Group SE said Friday its net profit rose 5 percent in the second quarter to 732 million euros ($805 million) despite a one-time charge stemming from the crash of one of its military transport planes in Spain.
- Platini kicks off political fight for future of FIFA Updated: Jul-30-15 12:24 pm
GENEVA - Michel Platini hopes he made a decisive move early in the seven-month campaign to become FIFA president.
- UN adopts resolution to combat illegal wildlife trafficking Updated: Jul-30-15 12:23 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. General Assembly unanimously adopted its first-ever resolution aimed at combatting illicit trafficking in wildlife on Thursday as its sponsors expressed outrage at the killing of a beloved protected lion in Zimbabwe.
- Deutsche Bank CEO: Q2 profits 'nowhere near good enough' Updated: Jul-30-15 4:16 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Deutsche Bank's net profit rose in the second quarter, but legal expenses stemming from investigations of the bank's past conduct also increased and the bank's new co-CEO said its financial performance was unsatisfactory.
- Lufthansa sees Q2 profit soar, helped by cheaper fuel Updated: Jul-30-15 2:34 am
BERLIN - Lufthansa says its earnings trebled in the second quarter compared with a year earlier, helped by falling fuel costs.
- Siemens net profit flat after restructuring charges Updated: Jul-30-15 2:25 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Germany's Siemens AG says net profit fell slightly in the most recent quarter as better earnings from sales of medical equipment were offset by slower business at its power and gas division.
- Coyotes sign German goalie Niklas Treutle Updated: Jul-29-15 7:13 pm
GLENDALE, Arizona - The Arizona Coyotes signed German goalie Niklas Treutle to a one-year, entry-level contract Wednesday. Financial terms of the deal weren't disclosed.
- Volkswagen Q2 earns slip on restructuring, troubled markets Updated: Jul-29-15 10:46 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Automaker Volkswagen saw profits slip in the second quarter despite taking the global lead in sales over Toyota and GM.
- Munich council upholds ban on Holocaust 'stumbling stones' Updated: Jul-29-15 9:56 am
BERLIN - Munich's city council has refused to lift a ban on so-called "stumbling stones," tiny plaques embedded in sidewalks to commemorate Holocaust victims outside their former homes, which are a common sight elsewhere in Germany.