- The Latest: Dutch PM: Turkish efforts help stem migrant flow Updated: Feb-10-16 11:20 am
BERLIN - The Latest on the massive influx of migrants into Europe (all times local):
- EU appeals for migrant action as summit looms Updated: Feb-10-16 9:45 am
BRUSSELS - The European Union appealed Wednesday for member countries to step up efforts to manage the refugee crisis, saying they are still reacting far too slowly as thousands continue to arrive.
- Despite protests, Greek PM says reforms 'not optional' Updated: Feb-10-16 8:08 am
ATHENS, Greece - Protesting farmers said Wednesday they are planning to camp outside parliament and hold a 48-hour protest against government pension reforms.
- Olympiakos wins again, beats PAOK 1-0 Updated: Feb-07-16 4:41 pm
ATHENS, Greece - Olympiakos beat PAOK 1-0 and increased its lead at the top of the Greek league to 19 points with AEK's 1-0 defeat at Atromitos earlier Sunday.
- Rough seas, harsh winter, border limits add to migrant woes Updated: Feb-06-16 4:06 am
PRESEVO, Serbia - Rasul Orwani thought he had faced the worst after braving cold, rough seas in a rickety wooden boat to travel from Turkey to Greece, then came the Balkans.
- Why pensions are the new flashpoint in Greece's crisis Updated: Feb-05-16 8:59 am
ATHENS, Greece - Combine a rapidly aging population, a depleted work force and leaky finances and any country's pension system would be in trouble. For debt-hobbled, unemployment-plagued Greece, it's a nightmare.
- Protests, EU demands add pressure on Greece's Tsipras Updated: Feb-04-16 3:51 pm
ATHENS, Greece - Tens of thousands joined anti-government protests across Greece Thursday as the country was crippled by a general strike against painful pension reforms demanded by bailout lenders.
- Benin Navy guarding Greek tanker, hostages held in Nigeria Updated: Feb-03-16 5:35 pm
LAGOS, Nigeria - The navy of Benin is guarding an oil tanker hijacked by militants who are holding five crew members hostage in Nigeria, Nigeria's navy and a shipping security expert said Wednesday.
- Greece orders 2 men to remain in custody pending IS trial Updated: Feb-02-16 10:12 am
ALEXANDROUPOLI, Greece - A Greek magistrate on Tuesday ordered two men to remain in custody pending trial on charges of attempting to travel to Syria through Greece to join the Islamic State group.
- The Latest: Stoke signs $26m Imbula in winter's biggest deal Updated: Feb-01-16 6:03 pm
LONDON - The Latest on European soccer transfer deadline day (all times local):
- As children die reaching for Europe's shores, empathy fades Updated: Feb-01-16 4:40 pm
PARIS - Five months ago, a 3-year-old Syrian boy's corpse on a Turkish beach galvanized public action for refugees. Now, strikingly similar images are generating little more than a collective shrug.
- Chinese artist imitates photo of Syrian toddler on the beach Updated: Feb-01-16 11:12 am
NEW DELHI - Chinese artist and activist Ai Weiwei has recreated the famous image of a 3-year-old Syrian child who drowned in Turkey last year by staging a photo of himself lying face down on a beach in Greece.
- Ai Weiwei says deep anger made him pull works from Denmark Updated: Jan-28-16 4:12 pm
LESBOS, Greece - Chinese artist and activist Ai Weiwei said Thursday he decided to withdraw his works from two Danish museums out of deep anger at a new law allowing Denmark to seize valuables from migrants.
- Top Greek theater scraps play that quoted terrorist's book Updated: Jan-28-16 12:42 pm
ATHENS, Greece - Greece's prestigious National Theater has canceled the final performances of a play that included elements from a book by a convicted far-left terrorist, following complaints and threats.
- IOC to advise national Olympic bodies on Zika virus Updated: Jan-28-16 12:34 pm
ATHENS, Greece - The IOC will advise all national Olympic bodies on how to deal with the Zika virus ahead of the games in Rio de Janeiro.
- IOC's Bach: Refugees will be honored at Rio Olympics Updated: Jan-28-16 11:28 am
ATHENS, Greece - A group of refugee athletes will march together in the opening ceremony of the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro in a symbol of hope for the world's migrants, IOC President Thomas Bach said Thursday.
- Leaders of Cyprus, Greece, Israel meet to boost cooperation Updated: Jan-28-16 9:34 am
NICOSIA, Cyprus - The leaders of Cyprus, Greece and Israel pledged on Thursday to work together to seize opportunities emerging from newly found offshore gas reserves in order to bolster stability and security in a region wracked by conflict.
- Greek coast guard says 11 people, mostly children, drown Updated: Jan-28-16 3:22 am
ATHENS, Greece - At least 11 people, most of them children, died Thursday in the latest migrant boat sinking off an eastern Greek island, while an undetermined number of people were missing, the Greek coast guard said.
- IOC's Bach: Rio de Janeiro Games will 'overwhelm' world Updated: Jan-27-16 4:47 pm
ATHENS, Greece - IOC President Thomas Bach predicted on Wednesday that the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro will "overwhelm" the world, despite Brazil's deep financial crisis.
- Clock ticks down on EU passport free travel dream Updated: Jan-26-16 1:48 pm
BRUSSELS - Passport-free travel and hassle-free business in Europe has never been in more danger.
- Greek farmers expand campaign of highway roadblocks Updated: Jan-25-16 9:34 am
THESSALONIKI, Greece - Greek farmers angry at planned pension and tax reforms have expanded their campaign of blocking highways and closed a border crossing to Bulgaria.
- Despite patrols, sealing Greek sea border is near impossible Updated: Jan-24-16 3:18 pm
CHIOS, Greece - In the inky nighttime blackness, a small red dot appears on the radar screen, moving fast.
- Global policymakers seek to reassure after market turbulence Updated: Jan-23-16 11:07 am
DAVOS, Switzerland - At the end of another turbulent week in financial markets, leading global policymakers sought Saturday to ease concerns over the economic outlook for 2016 and insisted that the slowdown in China is a natural turn for an economy in transition.
- S&P upgrades Greece by 1 notch to B-, outlook stable Updated: Jan-22-16 12:41 pm
ATHENS, Greece - Standard and Poor's ratings agency has upgraded Greece's credit rating by one notch to B- saying the country seems to be broadly complying with the terms of its latest international bailout.
- Q&A: What the EU is doing about the migrant crisis Updated: Jan-22-16 12:08 pm
BRUSSELS - Following the death of more than 40 people off the Greek islands Friday, here are some questions and answers about the migrant crisis and what Europe is doing to respond to it.