- The Latest: Hungarian pres. warns of risks in migrant crisis Updated: Oct-09-15 7:53 am
ATHENS, Greece - The latest developments as hundreds of thousands of people seeking safety make an epic trek through Europe. All times local.
- Portugal, Northern Ireland book Euro 2016 places Updated: Oct-08-15 7:27 pm
BERLIN - Portugal and Northern Ireland booked their places at Euro 2016 on Thursday, while world champion Germany was made to wait after being upset 1-0 by Ireland in Dublin.
- Greek town glimpses mass transit future: driverless buses Updated: Oct-08-15 9:34 am
TRIKALA, Greece - There'll be no arguing with the driver on this bus: the rides are free and there's no driver anyway.
- Tsipras insists he can lead Greece out of crisis by 2019 Updated: Oct-07-15 7:28 pm
ATHENS, Greece - Greece's left-wing prime minister easily won a confidence vote early Thursday, and pledged to usher the bailout-reliant country out of its financial crisis by 2019, mitigating creditor-mandated austerity with support for the poor.
- Tax hike on humble Greek drink threatens town's future Updated: Oct-07-15 7:23 am
TIRNAVOS, Greece - At Statiris Tavern, the patrons' faces are hardened from a life of hard work - truck drivers, builders, and farmers who've just ended their grueling grape harvest.
- Schlissel: Risky behavior trouble for Greeks at Michigan Updated: Oct-06-15 8:20 pm
DETROIT - Fraternities and sororities need to reduce alcohol consumption or they "may naturally wither" at the University of Michigan, the school's president said Tuesday.
- The Latest: UN official warns EU on 'hotspot' migrant triage Updated: Oct-06-15 1:55 pm
GENEVA - The latest developments as hundreds of thousands of people seeking safety make an epic trek through Europe. All times local.
- Frontex to beef up EU border control in biggest ever push Updated: Oct-05-15 8:29 am
WARSAW, Poland - The European Union's border agency is seeking hundreds of additional border guards to help in the task of identifying migrants arriving in massive numbers in Europe, a spokeswoman said Monday.
- New Greek Parliament elects Syriza veteran as speaker Updated: Oct-05-15 8:09 am
ATHENS, Greece - Greece's new Parliament, elected two weeks ago, has chosen Syriza deputy Nikos Voutsis as its speaker.
- Turkish Cypriots: Reunification agreement possible in months Updated: Oct-02-15 7:59 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci said Friday that an agreement on reunifying the divided Mediterranean island can be reached in months rather than years if talks with the Greek Cypriot president continue at the same pace, with the same determination and political will, as they have in recent months.
- Western NY woman pleads guilty, sentenced in fatal accident Updated: Oct-02-15 6:31 am
GREECE, New York - A suburban Rochester woman has been sentenced to up to four years in prison for a fatal hit-and-run last year.
- Greek police arrest 8 German fans after Thessaloniki clashes Updated: Oct-01-15 5:52 pm
THESSALONIKI, Greece - Eight visiting German fans have been arrested following clashes with Greek police that briefly stopped play during a Europa League match between PAOK and Borussia Dortmund in Thessaloniki.
- 6 Greek islands lose sales tax break Updated: Oct-01-15 8:56 am
NAXOS, Greece - It doesn't have the glitz and glamour of nearby Mykonos, nor Rhodes' steady stream of European charter flights disgorging package tourists. The island of Naxos, with its inland verdant mountains and kilometers of sandy beaches, is considered more a quiet family holiday destination as well as a producer of top agricultural products, including its famed cheese.
- Supreme Court revives suit over Greek role in election Updated: Oct-01-15 8:39 am
TUSCALOOSA, Alabama - The Alabama Supreme Court is reviving a lawsuit over the role of sorority and fraternity members in a Tuscaloosa city election.
- Greece reopening Olympic venue to cope with asylum-seekers Updated: Oct-01-15 6:03 am
ATHENS, Greece - Authorities in Greece have reopened a disused Olympic venue to house migrants and refugees camped out in central Athens.
- Excavator: Ancient grave in Greece honored Alexander's pal Updated: Sep-30-15 6:57 pm
THESSALONIKI, Greece - An opulent underground monument in northern Greece that caused a stir when excavated last year may have been a symbolic grave - but not the final resting place of - the closest friend and general of ancient warrior-king Alexander the Great, the excavator claimed Wednesday.
- Former Greece captain Katsouranis retires Updated: Sep-30-15 11:06 am
ATHENS, Greece - Former Greece captain Kostas Katsouranis, the last professionally playing member of the winning European Championship squad in 2004, has announced his retirement from football.
- Tiger from Greece dies at California sanctuary Updated: Sep-27-15 5:08 pm
SAN DIEGO - A tiger flown to a Southern California sanctuary last year after concerns of neglect at a Greek zoo has died, sanctuary officials said.
- Panathinaikos beats Platanias 1-0 in Greek league Updated: Sep-27-15 5:06 pm
ATHENS, Greece - Panathinaikos fans booed their own team as the Greek title contenders labored to a 1-0 victory over last-place Platanias on Sunday.
- Olympiakos beats Giannena 5-1 Updated: Sep-26-15 5:10 pm
ATHENS, Greece - Defending champion Olympiakos thrashed visiting Giannena 5-1 to maintain its perfect record in the Greek league on Saturday.
- Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church in Dallas gets new icons Updated: Sep-25-15 3:23 pm
DALLAS - Leonidas Diamantopoulos put brush to a large canvas spread out on the floor of his Athens studio, etching out images of a pool of water and a man standing beside it. Slowly, the story started to come together.
- Dancers become divers for full underwater performance Updated: Sep-25-15 10:39 am
SOUNION, Greece - Few forms of attire less evoke the grace and beauty of dance than scuba gear. With their heavy tanks of compressed air, hoses, gauges, wetsuits, fins and masks, divers seem more like astronauts than ballerinas.
- Tsipras pledges to lead Greece out of crisis by 2019 Updated: Sep-25-15 7:59 am
ATHENS, Greece - Greece's newly re-elected prime minister pledged Friday to fast-track negotiations with international bailout creditors so the country can be in a position to get some much-needed debt relief.
- Obama congratulates Greek prime minister on victory Updated: Sep-24-15 8:37 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama has spoken to Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras (TSEE'-prahs) and congratulated him on his party's success in recent elections.
- Storm disaster declared on Greek 'Mamma Mia!' island Updated: Sep-24-15 2:44 pm
ATHENS, Greece - Authorities in Greece have declared a state of emergency following torrential rain on the island of Skopelos, where the 2008 movie "Mamma Mia!" was filmed.