- Refugee baby Serbia Merkel in transit across Europe Updated: Apr-28-16 1:04 pm
KRNJACA, Serbia - She has wide brown eyes, rosy cheeks and thick black hair. Her name is Serbia Merkel al-Mustafa.
- Rio gets Olympic flame 100 days before games Updated: Apr-27-16 2:31 pm
ATHENS, Greece - The Olympic flame was handed to organizers of the Rio de Janeiro Games in Athens on Wednesday, 100 days before the opening ceremony in Brazil.
- EU says deal on Greek bailout reforms needed within days Updated: Apr-27-16 9:42 am
ATHENS, Greece - The head of the European Union is resisting Greece's demand for an emergency leaders' summit on the country's troubled bailout program, stressing that finance officials need to resume talks and agree within days on reforms needed.
- No Thursday Greece eurogroup meeting due to lack of progress Updated: Apr-26-16 5:17 pm
BRUSSELS - The head of the grouping of the 19 euro countries has decided against calling for a special meeting of the countries' finance ministers on Thursday to discuss the Greek bailout due to lack of progress in talks between international creditors and the government in Athens.
- The Latest: Olympic flame stops at UN camp in Athens Updated: Apr-26-16 1:17 pm
ISTANBUL - The Latest on the influx of migrants into Europe (all times local):
- Olympic honor for refugees: Rio flame stops at UN camp Updated: Apr-26-16 1:08 pm
ATHENS, Greece - If they had a home, refugees would belong to the world's 24th most populous nation, just behind Italy. On Tuesday, there were honored as members of the Olympic family.
- Detained migrants protest in camp on Greek island Updated: Apr-26-16 12:44 pm
ATHENS, Greece - A protest broke out in the Moria migrant detention center on the Greek island of Lesbos Tuesday during a visit by the Greek migration affairs minister and a Dutch official.
- Schumer: Work on Lake Ontario NY bay project continues Updated: Apr-26-16 12:08 pm
GREECE, New York - Work is continuing on a $9.5 million federal project that will restore wildlife habitats and improve recreational access on a Lake Ontario bay near Rochester.
- Still swimming in exile, Syrian refugee to carry Rio flame Updated: Apr-25-16 4:23 pm
ATHENS, Greece - As a swimming-mad teenager in Syria, Ibrahim Al-Hussein was glued to his TV set for the 2004 Athens Olympics.
- Greek press unions expand strike against pension reforms Updated: Apr-25-16 6:06 am
ATHENS, Greece - Greek press unions have expanded a strike to protest bailout creditor-demanded reforms of their taxpayer-funded pension fund, leaving the country without newspapers and news broadcasts for several days.
- German paper: Photographer turned back at Istanbul airport Updated: Apr-24-16 10:17 am
BERLIN - A German newspaper says a Greek photographer who was working for it has been turned back by Turkish authorities at Istanbul's main airport.
- Royalty, Obama & fans mark 400 years since Shakespeare died Updated: Apr-23-16 5:30 pm
LONDON - If all the world's a stage, William Shakespeare is its architect.
- Turkey hails 'effective' migrant deal as EU leaders visit Updated: Apr-23-16 5:06 pm
GAZIANTEP, Turkey - Turkey's prime minister said Saturday the number of migrants crossing into Greece illegally has dropped considerably, as proof that a much criticized migration deal between Turkey and the European Union is working.
- Syrian refugee named torchbearer in Greek leg of Rio relay Updated: Apr-22-16 11:23 am
ATHENS, Greece - A Syrian refugee who had part of a leg amputated after a bombing will be one of the torchbearers for the Greek leg of the Rio de Janeiro Olympic flame relay.
- Greek PM criticizes Turkey over Aegean violations Updated: Apr-22-16 9:46 am
ATHENS, Greece - Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras criticized neighboring Turkey Friday for preventing a NATO force in the Aegean Sea from expanding its activities further south along the two countries' borders as a part of its deployment to help tackle the refugee crisis.
- NATO: Efforts to stem migrant flows making a difference Updated: Apr-21-16 3:02 pm
ABOARD THE FGS BONN - Efforts to stem the tide of migrants seeking the shores of Europe are working, NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said Thursday.
- Flame for Rio Olympics is lit at birthplace of ancient Games Updated: Apr-21-16 6:17 am
ANCIENT OLYMPIA, Greece - The Olympic flame has been kindled at the birthplace of the ancient games in Greece, heralding the start of a 15-week journey leading to the Aug. 5 opening ceremony in Rio de Janeiro.
- Turkey wants EU visa changes by June or migrant deal is off Updated: Apr-19-16 9:10 am
PARIS - Turkey could easily call off the migrant deal struck with the European Union if visa rules for Turks aren't relaxed within the next two months, Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said Tuesday, sounding a warning over a controversial deal which has stemmed much of the human tide across the Aegean Sea.
- Somali leaders give condolences on report of many drowned Updated: Apr-18-16 2:27 pm
MOGADISHU, Somalia - The leaders of Somalia issued a joint condolence message to the nation Monday over an unconfirmed report that some migrants may have drowned in the Mediterranean Sea on a trip from Libya to Italy.
- Olympiakos beats Kalloni 5-0 as Greek league season Updated: Apr-17-16 4:24 pm
ATHENS, Greece - Greek league champion Olympiakos routed last-place Kalloni 5-0 to complete a record-setting season on Sunday.
- Pope brings 12 Syrian refugees to Italy in lesson for Europe Updated: Apr-16-16 5:15 pm
MORIA, Greece - In an extraordinary gesture both political and personal, Pope Francis brought 12 Syrian Muslims to Italy aboard his plane Saturday after an emotional visit to the Greek island of Lesbos, which has faced the brunt of Europe's migration crisis.
- Plucked from the uncertainty of Lesbos: 12 Syrian refugees Updated: Apr-16-16 5:11 pm
ROME - Pope Francis says his gesture is "a drop of water in the sea" of Europe's migration crisis. Yet for 12 Syrian refugees, the pope's decision to fly them back to Italy from Greece is an act of kindness that will resonate for the rest of their lives.
- The Latest: Syrians thank pope for bringing them to Italy Updated: Apr-16-16 2:55 pm
MYTILENE, Greece - The Latest on Pope Francis' visit to the Greek island of Lesbos (all times local):
- Editorials from around New England Updated: Apr-16-16 12:14 pm
Excerpts of recent editorials of statewide and national interest from New England newspapers:
- Refugees in Greece overwhelmed by pope's visit to Lesbos Updated: Apr-16-16 11:31 am
MYTILENE, Greece - For some refugees, when it came time to actually meet Pope Francis, the tears just began to flow.