- Berardi gets debut Italy call, Giovinco also included Updated: Oct-03-15 3:51 pm
MILAN - Antonio Conte has included Sebastian Giovinco and Fabio Quagliarella in the Italy squad for the upcoming European Champions qualifiers against Azerbaijan and Norway as well as the uncapped Domenico Berardi.
- Vatican fires gay priest on eve of synod Updated: Oct-03-15 11:53 am
VATICAN CITY - The Vatican on Saturday fired a monsignor who came out as gay on the eve of a big meeting of the world's bishops to discuss church outreach to gays, divorcees and more traditional Catholic families.
- Lichtsteiner out for up to a month after heart procedure Updated: Oct-02-15 12:44 pm
TURIN, Italy - Juventus defender Stephan Lichtsteiner is out for up to a month after undergoing a heart procedure following breathing difficulties.
- Vatican beefs up IOC contacts, but cautious on Rome bid Updated: Oct-01-15 3:13 pm
VATICAN CITY - The Vatican is beefing up its contacts with the International Olympic Committee but isn't taking sides in Rome's bid for the 2024 Games, which organizers hope will include the marathon winding through St. Peter's Square.
- Vatican cricket team to play Muslim, Argentine slum clubs Updated: Oct-01-15 3:07 pm
VATICAN CITY - The Vatican is expanding the reach of its cricket club this season, hosting a Muslim team from Yorkshire and a club from the same Buenos Aires slum where Jorge Mario Bergoglio ministered before becoming Pope Francis.
- Ancelotti looms as Rudi Garcia feels the pressure at Roma Updated: Oct-01-15 5:57 am
ROME - Rudi Garcia is running out of room for missteps at Roma, with Carlo Ancelotti already being named as a possible replacement.
- Juventus beats Sevilla to go top of Champions League group Updated: Sep-30-15 6:08 pm
TURIN, Italy - Juventus eased to a 2-0 win over Sevilla to move top of Group D in the Champions League on Wednesday as the Turin side once again put its domestic woes to one side.
- Vatican insists relations on track after Rome mayor tiff Updated: Sep-30-15 4:38 pm
VATICAN CITY - The Vatican is insisting that relations with Italy are on track despite an embarrassing few days which saw the pope chastise Rome's mayor in public and another Vatican official make disparaging remarks about him in private.
- Ex-Parma chief Manenti banned 5 years for bankruptcy role Updated: Sep-30-15 7:20 am
ROME - Former Parma president Giampietro Manenti has been banned from football for five years for trying to use cloned credit cards and other illicit means in a failed attempt to help the squad avoid bankruptcy.
- Islamic State group says it guns down Italian in Bangladesh Updated: Sep-29-15 5:06 pm
DHAKA, Bangladesh - The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for gunning down an Italian aid worker in the diplomatic quarter of Bangladesh's capital, according to an intelligence group that monitors jihadist threats, while the government said it had no evidence to back up that claim.
- Serie A's Carpi names Sannino to replace fired Castori Updated: Sep-29-15 1:22 pm
CARPI, Italy - Last-place Carpi has named Giuseppe Sannino its new coach a day after firing Fabrizio Castori six matches into its first Serie A season.
- Giuseppe Rossi accepts salary cut at Fiorentina Updated: Sep-29-15 1:02 pm
FLORENCE, Italy - Still working his way back to top form after a series of knee injuries, Giuseppe Rossi has accepted a salary cut at Fiorentina.
- Caceres removed from Juventus squad after car crash Updated: Sep-29-15 12:38 pm
TURIN, Italy - Juventus defender Martin Caceres has been temporarily removed from Juventus' squad and fined after an alleged drunk-driving accident.
- Bayern Munich, Lewandowski at top of AP Global Football 10 Updated: Sep-29-15 12:35 pm
LONDON - Bayern Munich and Robert Lewandowski took the top spots in The Associated Press Global Football 10 polls on Tuesday.
- Amid Europe's migrant tensions, kindness arises too Updated: Sep-29-15 8:08 am
PARIS - A 24-year-old Danish woman sails refugees across windy straits to safety in Sweden. A Romanian whose ancestors were driven from their homeland opens his house to today's migrants. A girl brings pens and paper to migrant children sleeping at a Milan train station.
- Juventus, City look to rebound from domestic woes in Europe Updated: Sep-29-15 6:44 am
TURIN, Italy - Juventus and Manchester City will both be looking to rebound from domestic woes on Wednesday in the Champions League.
- Frosinone beats Empoli 2-0 for 1st ever win in Serie A Updated: Sep-28-15 5:03 pm
ROME - Building off its draw at Juventus, promoted Frosinone beat visiting Empoli 2-0 Monday for its first ever win in Serie A.
- Carpi fires coach 6 matches into debut Serie A season Updated: Sep-28-15 4:47 pm
CARPI, Italy - Last-place Carpi has fired coach Fabrizio Castori six matches into its first Serie A season.
- Sophia Loren graces Armani front row at Milan Fashion Week Updated: Sep-28-15 11:36 am
MILAN - Giorgio Armani had the last word at Milan Fashion Week, which wrapped up six days of womenswear previews for next spring and summer on Monday, launching a book that looks back on his life.
- Roma forwards Totti, Dzeko out for up to 4 weeks Updated: Sep-27-15 9:41 am
ROME - Roma will be without forwards Francesco Totti and Edin Dzeko for up to four weeks after both were injured during Saturday's 5-1 drubbing of Carpi.
- Heidi Klum cajoles boyfriend to buy her plastic snail Updated: Sep-27-15 8:28 am
MILAN - Heidi Klum gently, but persistently cajoled her boyfriend Vito Schnabel buy her a giant plastic snail at the 7th annual Milan amfAR auction, nudging up the price of the sculpture and helping raise a Milan record of $1.6 million for the charity.
- Alba exchange students experience Southern Oregon culture Updated: Sep-27-15 6:16 am
MEDFORD, Oregon - The roads are wide. The cars are slow. The coffee is terrible. The people are fat. The area is spacious. In-N-Out is good. Strangers are friendly. Crater Lake is beautiful.
- Peter Dundas underlines brand's ease in Cavalli debut Updated: Sep-26-15 3:34 pm
MILAN - The fourth day of Milan Fashion Week belonged to ex-Pucci designer Peter Dundas, who made his celebrated debut as creative director for Roberto Cavalli.
- Dundas restores ease, freedom to Roberto Cavalli brand Updated: Sep-26-15 12:56 pm
MILAN - Ease and freedom were Peter Dundas' guiding principles in designing his debut collection for Roberto Cavalli, which previewed Saturday during Milan Fashion Week.
- NBA's global reach to be displayed again in preseason Updated: Sep-25-15 4:50 pm
MIAMI - In less than six months, Boston Celtics coach Brad Stevens will be on the sideline in six different countries.