- Unsung Iceland and Wales nearly qualified for Euro 2016 Updated: Sep-03-15 5:57 pm
Unsung Iceland and Wales took big steps toward qualifying for the European Championships on Thursday - and they don't intend to take the long road to the expanded 24-team tournament just because there are more ways to qualify.
- Pelle leads Italy to 1-0 win over Malta again in qualifying Updated: Sep-03-15 5:14 pm
FLORENCE, Italy - Graziano Pelle saved Italy from embarrassment against Malta again, securing a 1-0 win against the 160th-ranked opponent to put the Azzurri in command of their European Championship qualifying group on Thursday.
- Venice's gondoliers get updated look with new logo Updated: Sep-03-15 4:59 pm
ROME - Venice's gondoliers, famed for their striped, boat-neck shirts and rowing prowess, are getting an updated look.
- Pope pops out of Vatican, stop to get new glasses Updated: Sep-03-15 3:52 pm
ROME - Pope Francis slipped out of the Vatican Thursday for a personal - and very normal - errand: New glasses.
- VENICE WATCH: 'Beasts' teen star impresses; Tucci talks food Updated: Sep-03-15 1:15 pm
VENICE, Italy - The Venice Film Festival is bringing 11 days of red carpet premieres, innovative movies and Hollywood glamour to the Italian city. Here's what has been catching the eye of The Associated Press:
- Italy-Malta match to observe minute's silence for migrants Updated: Sep-03-15 1:03 pm
FLORENCE, Italy - A moment of silence will be observed before Italy's European Championship qualifier against Malta for the European migrant crisis.
- At Venice fest, 'Spotlight' exposes sex abuse by priests Updated: Sep-03-15 12:27 pm
VENICE, Italy - Thomas McCarthy wants Pope Francis to go to the movies.
- Renzi to Ecclestone on Italian GP: 'Leave Monza alone' Updated: Sep-03-15 12:15 pm
MONZA, Italy - Italian Premier Matteo Renzi has a message for Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone: "Leave Monza alone."
- The Latest: Canada examines why it rejected Syrian family Updated: Sep-03-15 8:56 am
The latest Thursday on the European migrant crisis (all times GMT):
- Chailly to step down early as Leipzig Gewandhaus conductor Updated: Sep-03-15 8:37 am
BERLIN - Leipzig's Gewandhaus Orchestra says that Riccardo Chailly will step down next year as its chief conductor, four years before his contract was due to expire.
- Peak cinema: 'Everest' kicks off Venice Film Festival Updated: Sep-02-15 4:04 pm
VENICE, Italy - Jake Gyllenhaal and Jason Clarke lead the cast but the mountain is the star of "Everest," a high-altitude thriller that opened the Venice Film Festival on Wednesday.
- VENICE WATCH: Festival pays tribute to horror-meister Craven Updated: Sep-02-15 1:22 pm
VENICE, Italy - The Venice Film Festival is adding a dose of horror to its high-toned lineup, in tribute to the late director Wes Craven.
- Ashley Cole appears on his way out at Roma after CL snub Updated: Sep-02-15 12:14 pm
ROME - Former England defender Ashley Cole has been left off Roma's squad for the Champions League and appears to be on his way out of the Serie A club.
- Report: Criminal probe into Powell, Simpson dropped in Italy Updated: Sep-02-15 11:45 am
UDINE, Italy - A criminal doping investigation into Jamaican sprinters Asafa Powell and Sherone Simpson plus their trainer has reportedly been dropped in Italy.
- From 'Everest' to Depp, highlights of the Venice Film fest Updated: Sep-01-15 3:37 pm
VENICE, Italy - It's a sure sign that summer's over and the awards season is around the corner - the feast of fall film festivals.
- Mayors to talk government and families ahead of papal visit Updated: Sep-01-15 2:58 pm
PHILADELPHIA - The mayors of Rome, New Orleans and Puebla, Mexico are headed to Philadelphia for an event tied to Pope Francis' visit that'll focus on the role of local governments in strengthening and sustaining families.
- Europe's passport free travel area explained Updated: Sep-01-15 10:56 am
BRUSSELS - Desperate to halt the flow of migrants fleeing conflict or poverty, some European countries have begun erecting fences and tightening border controls. But the crackdown, as people leave Greece and Italy to move deeper into the European Union, has raised questions about whether Europe's passport-free area is viable.
- European court: Italy failed 3 Tunisian Arab Spring migrants Updated: Sep-01-15 7:49 am
PARIS - The European Court of Human Rights on Tuesday upheld the case of three Tunisians expelled from Italy in 2011 in the wake of the Arab Spring uprising, ruling that the migrants had been subjected to degrading and inhuman treatment during time spent in a detention center, suffered a collective expulsion and could not challenge their forced return home.
- Juventus sign Hernanes and Lemina on transfer deadline day Updated: Aug-31-15 6:26 pm
MILAN - Juventus signed midfielders Hernanes and Mario Lemina on a busy final day of Europe's transfer window for the four-time defending champion, which is off to its worst ever Serie A start.
- Giovinco out of Italy squad with injury, days after recall Updated: Aug-31-15 11:08 am
FLORENCE, Italy - Toronto FC forward Sebastian Giovinco has pulled out of the Italy squad with an injury, two days after he was recalled by coach Antonio Conte following an absence of almost a year.
- Monaco puts money first with Martial expected sale Updated: Aug-31-15 9:02 am
PARIS - Not so long ago, Monaco was splashing cash to lure football's biggest stars. In a complete change of commercial strategy, it is now getting rid of Anthony Martial, one of the brightest young players in French football.
- Italy's Eni finds 'supergiant' natural gas field off Egypt Updated: Aug-30-15 5:49 pm
ROME - The Italian energy company Eni SpA announced Sunday it has discovered a "supergiant" natural gas field off Egypt, describing it as the "largest-ever" found in the Mediterranean Sea.
- Croatia winger Perisic transferred from Wolfsburg to Inter Updated: Aug-30-15 5:15 pm
MILAN - Croatia winger Ivan Perisic has been transferred from Wolfsburg to Inter Milan.
- Pjanic, Dzeko score as Roma beats Juventus 2-1 Updated: Aug-30-15 5:03 pm
ROME - Bosnia internationals Miralem Pjanic and Edin Dzeko scored in the second half as Roma beat bitter title rival Juventus 2-1 Sunday, leaving the Turin power with two straight losses to start Serie A for the first time in its history.
- Giovinco 1 of 9 foreign-based players in Italy squad Updated: Aug-29-15 3:45 pm
MILAN - Antonio Conte recalled Toronto FC forward Sebastian Giovinco to the Italy squad on Saturday for the upcoming European Champions qualifiers against Bulgaria and Malta.