- US returns 25 looted artifacts to Italy: Vases, frescoes Updated: May-26-15 10:47 pm
ROME - The United States on Tuesday officially returned 25 artifacts looted over the decades from Italy, including Etruscan vases, 1st-century frescoes and precious books that ended up in U.S. museums, universities and private collections.
- Suspected Camorra boss arrested in Brazil after 30-year run Updated: May-26-15 1:58 pm
SAO PAULO - A suspected boss of the Naples-based organized crime syndicate known as the Camorra was arrested Tuesday in Brazil after more than 30 years on the run, police said.
- Despite challenges, Zimbabwe showcases artists in Venice Updated: May-26-15 1:33 pm
HARARE, Zimbabwe - Stone and wood carvings displayed by street vendors in Zimbabwe reflect a long tradition of sculpture, and despite economic and other challenges, the country's artists are forging new paths and even have displays at one of the world's most prestigious art fairs.
- WFP urges Syrian humanitarian pause for crop harvest Updated: May-26-15 5:37 am
ROME - The U.N. food agency is calling for a humanitarian pause in fighting in Syria to let farmers harvest their crops and get them to market.
- Roma beats Lazio 2-1 in derby to secure 2nd in Serie A Updated: May-25-15 3:15 pm
ROME - Roma secured direct entry into the Champions League group phase with a 2-1 win over Lazio in a heated Serie A derby Monday that featured three late goals.
- Vatican bank profits soar as recovery, reform continue Updated: May-25-15 6:50 am
VATICAN CITY - The Vatican bank said Monday its profit soared by more than 20 times last year as it recovered from a trading loss and continued its reform process away from its scandal-marred past.
- CANNES WATCH: Going out In style Updated: May-23-15 8:38 pm
CANNES, France - The 68th Cannes Film Festival was going out in style this weekend, with Marion Cotillard drawing raves on both carpet and screen at the "Macbeth" premiere and the very cool entourage from the LA indie "Dope" continuing to wow the fest as anticipation grew for Sunday's Palme d'Or finale.
- Salvadorans rejoice as slain Archbishop Romero beatified Updated: May-23-15 5:11 pm
SAN SALVADOR, El Salvador - Archbishop Oscar Romero was beatified by Roman Catholic officials Saturday in an emotional ceremony elevating the once-controversial cleric to the ranks of the blessed 35 years after his assassination.
- Alitalia calls 24-hour strike 'disrespectful' of passengers Updated: May-23-15 12:13 pm
MILAN - Italy's flagship airline Alitalia said a 24-hour strike called for Monday that will force flight cancellations is "disrespectful" of passengers when the Rome airport is still suffering disruptions due to a fire two weeks ago.
- Venice officials shut down mosque-inside-church art exhibit Updated: May-22-15 4:43 pm
MILAN - Authorities in Venice on Friday closed a working mosque in an ex-church that was Iceland's contribution to the 56th Venice Biennale contemporary art fair on the grounds that it was being improperly used as a place of worship.
- Suspect in Tunisia attack claims innocence at 1st hearing Updated: May-22-15 11:38 am
ROME - The Moroccan migrant accused of being involved in Tunisia's Bardo Museum massacre insisted Friday on his innocence and refused to voluntarily be turned over to Tunisian authorities.
- Rome mayor wants Olympic medal ceremonies at Colosseum Updated: May-22-15 10:35 am
ROME - Rome Mayor Ignazio Marino proposed Friday that medal ceremonies be held at the Colosseum if the Italian capital wins the bid to host the 2024 Olympics.
- Rome derby is a contest for Champions League entry Updated: May-21-15 7:18 am
ROME - There will be much more than city bragging rights on the line when Roma meets Lazio in the Rome derby on Monday.
- Chinese leader: Religions must be free of foreign influence Updated: May-20-15 10:14 pm
BEIJING - China's president warned in a key policy speech that religions must be independent from foreign influence, as the government asks domestic religious groups to pledge loyalty to the state.
- Juventus wins Italian Cup to stay on track for treble Updated: May-20-15 6:39 pm
ROME - Serie A champion Juventus added the Italian Cup title to its trophy case with a 2-1 win over Lazio in extra time Wednesday, setting up a chance for a treble.
- Despite growth uptick, full recovery still far for Europe Updated: May-20-15 11:10 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Europe's economy has been down so long, even a bit of growth looks like recovery.
- Filmmakers defend a language switch at English-heavy Cannes Updated: May-19-15 6:25 pm
CANNES, France - The Cannes Film Festival is as close to the movies' answer to the United Nations. The filmmakers and media of the world are usually represented in one way or the other. The Croisette, Cannes' seaside promenade, is usually a babble of tongues.
- Italy drops illegal-detention hypothesis in deadly shipwreck Updated: May-19-15 9:19 am
CATANIA, Sicily - Authorities won't seek charges of illegal detention against two alleged smugglers in connection with a Mediterranean shipwreck believed to have killed more than 800 migrants, a prosecutor said Tuesday.
- More than 50 arrested or detained in Italian fixing probe Updated: May-19-15 6:51 am
ROME - More than 50 people were arrested or detained throughout Italy on Tuesday and more than 70 placed under investigation as part of a widespread match-fixing inquiry led by anti-Mafia prosecutors in the southern town of Catanzaro.
- Pope to bishops: Stop ordering faithful around, fight graft Updated: May-18-15 1:01 pm
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis has told bishops to strongly denounce corruption and to act more like pastors than "pilots" telling the faithful what to do.
- Treble-hunting Juventus heads into Cup final against Lazio Updated: May-18-15 1:00 pm
- Key derby match between Lazio and Roma moved to Monday Updated: May-18-15 12:55 pm
ROME - The key Serie A derby match between Roma and Lazio has been postponed a day due to the Italian Cup final.
- Platini: UEFA looking to ease rules on club spending Updated: May-18-15 12:27 pm
GENEVA - UEFA is preparing to ease rules which limit how much Europe's top clubs spend on player transfers and wages.
- Barcelona wins Spanish title, Man United looking at 4th Updated: May-17-15 7:50 pm
Barcelona clinched its 23rd Spanish league title on Sunday thanks to Lionel Messi.
- Barcelona wins Spanish title, Man United looking at 4th Updated: May-17-15 6:32 pm
Barcelona clinched its 23rd Spanish league title on Sunday thanks to - who else - Lionel Messi.