- 5 things to know about the Champions League Updated: Dec-08-13 7:12 pm
- Roma beats Fiorentina 2-1 to stay near top Updated: Dec-08-13 4:44 pm
- Pope prays in Rome's posh shopping district Updated: Dec-08-13 12:56 pm
- Germany, Italy win WCup snowboard cross events Updated: Dec-08-13 10:57 am
- FIFA switches late England-Italy WCup kickoff time Updated: Dec-07-13 11:42 pm
- FIFA switches start time for 7 World Cup games Updated: Dec-07-13 10:30 pm
- La Scala's 'La Traviata' opener gets mixed reviews Updated: Dec-07-13 5:16 pm
- Dyke's reaction sums up England feelings Updated: Dec-07-13 9:42 am
- What they said about the World Cup draw Updated: Dec-06-13 5:34 pm
- Amazon city is World Cup winner Updated: Dec-06-13 5:24 pm
- World Cup draw: the strong, the weak, the lucky Updated: Dec-06-13 4:53 pm
- Correction: Vatican-Legion of Christ story Updated: Dec-06-13 8:59 am
- Milan court convicts Egyptian of terror charges Updated: Dec-06-13 6:46 am
- WWII veteran to receive medals 65 years late Updated: Dec-06-13 4:16 am
- Italian league offers Tim Tebow a 4-month contract Updated: Dec-05-13 2:21 pm
- Sidney Crosby reflects on 500 games, 700 points of... Updated: Dec-05-13 1:51 pm
- Former Giro winner Danilo Di Luca banned for life Updated: Dec-05-13 11:18 am
- Polish PM calls for fairness for Lazio fans Updated: Dec-05-13 11:03 am
- Italian runner banned 3 years in doping case Updated: Dec-05-13 10:03 am
- Court: forced C-section was medically justified Updated: Dec-05-13 8:52 am
- 5 Things to Know about foreign World Cup coaches Updated: Dec-05-13 8:24 am
- Lawyer: Detained woman awoke to find womb empty Updated: Dec-04-13 2:53 pm
- Eurozone retail sales drop as recovery falters Updated: Dec-04-13 6:08 am
- Juventus fined for children's insulting chants Updated: Dec-03-13 2:05 pm
- Pope gets boost for reform from unlikely source Updated: Dec-03-13 2:02 pm
LONDON - Half of the last 16 places in the knockout stage of the Champions League are still up for grabs and will be decided this week after the final group games. Manchester United, Real Madrid, Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germain reached the knockout phase in the last round of games, joining defending champion Bayern Munich, Manchester City, Atletico Madrid, and Barcelona.
ROME - Mattia Destro came off the bench and scored the winner in his first appearance of the season as unbeaten Roma ended a streak of four draws with a 2-1 victory over Fiorentina in Serie A on Sunday.
ROME - Pope Francis, in the heart of Rome's fanciest shopping district, prayed on Sunday that the poor are never forgotten.
MONTAFON, Austria - Germany won the first men's snowboard World Cup cross team event of the season on Sunday, while Italy edged the United States for victory in the women's competition.
COSTA DO SAUIPE, Brazil - FIFA switched the scheduled kickoff times of seven World Cup matches on Saturday after meeting with broadcasters, having refused earlier requests made by the FIFPro union to protect players' health.
COSTA DO SAUIPE, Brazil - FIFA has switched the starting times of seven World Cup matches, including the U.S.-Portugal game on June 22 in the Amazonian jungle city of Manaus.
MILAN - La Scala's gala season premiere Saturday opened with spontaneous applause for Nelson Mandela's memory and closed with mixed reviews for "La Traviata."
LONDON - By slowly running a finger across his throat in mock fear, the head of English football appeared to sum up his nation's gloomy view of England chances at next year's World Cup in Brazil.
COSTA DO SAUIPE, Brazil - Coaches and players were quick to react to Friday's World Cup draw. The following is a selection.
COSTA DO SAUIPE, Brazil - The Amazonian jungle city of Manaus was the big winner at the World Cup draw.
Who wound up in difficult groups and who got away easy from Friday's World Cup draw (average world ranking for four teams in parentheses):
VATICAN CITY - In a story Dec. 5 about the wedding of a former Legion of Christ priest, The Associated Press reported erroneously that the Legion said less than 4 percent of Legion priests had been abused. Less than 4 percent have been accused of sexual abuse, according to the Legion.
MILAN - An Egyptian cleric kidnapped as part of the CIA's extraordinary rendition program was convicted by an Italian court Friday of decade-old terror charges and sentenced to six years in prison, lawyers involved in the case said.
WOONSOCKET, Rhode Island - A Rhode Island man who participated in the invasions of Sicily and Italy during World War II is finally getting the medals he earned more than 65 years ago.
ROME - Tim Tebow has been offered a four-month contract by the Italian federation for American football, and the Milano Seamen are hoping to sign the free agent quarterback.
Pittsburgh Penguins superstar Sidney Crosby recently became the sixth-fastest NHL player - and fastest active player - to reach 700 points. That would seem to make this an opportune time to catch up with the man considered to be the face of the league. Crosby, 26, recently sat down to discuss a wide range of topics.
ROME - Former Giro d'Italia winner Danilo Di Luca has been banned from cycling for life following a third doping offense, joining Lance Armstrong as one of the highest profile riders to be kicked out of the sport.
WARSAW, Poland - Poland's prime minister says he will make sure that some two dozen Lazio fans detained in Warsaw last week ahead of Europa League match are treated without unnecessary severity.
ROME - Italian long-distance runner Devis Licciardi has been banned for three years for cheating a drug test.
LONDON - A newly released court judgment says that doctors were medically justified in forcing a woman to have a cesarean section last year because it was in her best interests.
COSTA DO SAUIPE, Brazil - The World Cup promises friendly reunions and old scores to settle - and that's just in the coaching dugouts.
ROME - A lawyer for an Italian forced to have a cesarean section in Britain after authorities found her mentally incompetent to make medical decisions says the woman had made it clear she wanted to return to Italy to give birth.
LONDON - Further signs emerged Wednesday to show that the paltry economic recovery in the 17-country eurozone is losing steam.
MILAN - Insulting chants by children who were invited by Juventus to watch a weekend match have earned the club a ‚¬5,000 ($7,000) fine.
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis' efforts to reform the Machiavellian Vatican bureaucracy have gotten a vote of confidence from an unlikely source.