- China to snub arbitration hearing on feud with Philippines Updated: Jul-06-15 8:46 am
MANILA, Philippines - China is standing pat on its decision to reject arbitration by an international tribunal that will begin formal hearings this week to resolve a long-seething feud between Beijing and Manila over the South China Sea, the Chinese ambassador to Manila said Monday.
- The Latest: Spain ready to talk about third Greek bailout Updated: Jul-06-15 6:01 am
ATHENS, Greece - The latest on the bailout referendum in Greece (all times local):
- Astana creates new controversy at Tour de France Updated: Jul-04-15 12:36 pm
UTRECHT, Netherlands - On the very first day of the Tour de France, Vincenzo Nibali's Astana team found itself at the heart of another controversy after allowing one of its riders to start the race despite questions raised over his testing results.
- Astana rider Lars Boom facing Tour de France exit Updated: Jul-03-15 7:26 pm
UTRECHT, Netherlands - Tour de France champion Vincenzo Nibali's under-pressure Astana team requested teammate Lars Boom be removed from cycling's showpiece race for anomalous blood-testing results announced Friday.
- The Hague hit by riots after death of man in police custody Updated: Jul-03-15 11:59 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - Dutch police conducted mass arrests overnight, detaining about 200 people for ignoring a ban on public assembly in a neighborhood hit by late-night rioting after the death of a man in police custody.
- Dutch back UN tribunal for Malaysia Airlines crash Updated: Jul-03-15 9:52 am
AMSTERDAM - Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte says he supports moves to set up an international tribunal to prosecute those responsible for shooting down a Malaysian Airlines plane over Ukraine last year.
- Tour de France? More like Tour de-void of Americans Updated: Jul-03-15 3:02 am
As the Tour de France drew near, Jonathan Vaughters was still poring over power outputs and training results, trying to determine the nine riders that he would send to represent Cannondale-Garmin at the start line in the Dutch city of Utrecht.
- Contador has yellow on his mind as he eyes 3rd Tour title Updated: Jul-02-15 11:56 am
UTRECHT, Netherlands - Tour de France contender Alberto Contador's serious-looking face cracked into a beaming smile during a lighthearted moment at his pre-race news conference on Thursday, when he was joined by an unexpected guest.
- Russia dissatisfied with MH17 report by Dutch Safety Board Updated: Jul-02-15 10:46 am
MOSCOW - A draft Dutch report into last year's crash of Malaysian Airlines Flight 17 in eastern Ukraine fails to offer a comprehensive picture, a Russian aviation official said Thursday.
- Dutch turn to Danny Blind as replacement for Hiddink Updated: Jul-01-15 12:14 pm
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - Danny Blind was hired as the new coach of the Netherlands on Wednesday, with his first task to guide the national team to next year's European Championship finals after its stuttering start to qualifying under predecessor Guus Hiddink.
- Dutch Safety Board has draft report into MH17 crash Updated: Jul-01-15 10:47 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The team investigating last year's crash of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 in eastern Ukraine has prepared a draft final report and given it to countries involved in the probe for their comments.
- Ore. man accused of planting fake bomb on Dutch airliner Updated: Jun-30-15 11:10 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - Federal prosecutors say a 22-year-old Warrenton, Oregon, man accused of planting a fake bomb on a Dutch airliner in 2014 has been arrested.
- Ex-oil tycoon suspected of ordering Russian mayor's killing Updated: Jun-30-15 12:04 pm
MOSCOW - Russian investigators announced Tuesday they are reopening the case of the 1998 killing of a Siberian mayor and consider former oil tycoon Mikhail Khodorkovsky a prime suspect.
- Rioting breaks out after death of man in police custody Updated: Jun-30-15 11:53 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - A demonstration against police erupted into violence in The Hague, with protesters angry at the death in custody of a man over the weekend smashing windows and throwing rocks and fireworks at officers.
- Dutch FA terminates Hiddink's contract as coach Updated: Jun-29-15 5:24 pm
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The Dutch football federation terminated the contract of national team coach Guus Hiddink on Monday, ending his second stint in charge after just one disappointing season.
- Penguins focus on forward prospects during NHL draft Updated: Jun-27-15 6:00 pm
PITTSBURGH - Daniel Sprong did his best to avoid the draft projections. Some NHL experts thought the talented winger would go in the top 20. Others weren't sure Sprong would even go in the first round.
- French taxi drivers smash cars in strike against Uber Updated: Jun-25-15 9:45 pm
PARIS - French taxi drivers pulled out the throttle in an all-out confrontation with the ultra-cheap Uber car service Thursday, smashing livery cars, setting tires ablaze and blocking traffic during a nationwide strike that caught tourists and celebrities alike in the mayhem.
- A look at challenges Uber has faced around the world Updated: Jun-25-15 1:51 pm
PARIS - Taxi drivers in France went on strike Thursday, smashing car windows, setting tires on fire and blocking traffic to express their displeasure with American ride-hailing service Uber. Despite an October law forbidding the company's low-cost UberPop service, its drivers continue to provide rides in France.
- Ajax signs defender John Heitinga on free transfer Updated: Jun-25-15 8:57 am
AMSTERDAM - John Heitinga is heading home to add some experience to Ajax's young defense.
- European deal creates US grocery giant Updated: Jun-24-15 6:13 pm
NEW YORK - The owner of Stop & Shop and Giant will tie up with the parent company of Food Lion, creating a $29 billion grocer that will be in a stronger position to compete with Wal-Mart and other discount retailers.
- Landmark Dutch ruling: Cut emissions to protect citizens Updated: Jun-24-15 2:13 pm
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - A Dutch court ordered the government Wednesday to slash greenhouse gas emissions to help fight global warming, a landmark ruling in a case brought by hundreds of concerned citizens that could pave the way for similar legal battles around the world.
- Dutch police plan to interrupt Tour de France in Rotterdam Updated: Jun-24-15 7:32 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - Dutch police campaigning for better working conditions say they plan to interrupt the Tour de France as it passes through the port city of Rotterdam.
- Japan beats the Netherlands to reach World Cup quarterfinal Updated: Jun-24-15 1:33 am
VANCOUVER, British Columbia - Japan coach Norio Sasaki apologized for the stressful, flurry of a finish.
- Chicago's Navy Pier to debut 196-foot Ferris wheel next year Updated: Jun-23-15 5:32 pm
CHICAGO - Navy Pier plans to debut a bigger and more luxurious 196-foot Ferris wheel when the Chicago tourist attraction celebrates its 100th anniversary next summer.
- Dutch government cuts gas drilling in quake-hit region Updated: Jun-23-15 8:16 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The Dutch government is further cutting production of natural gas in the north of the country in an attempt to reduce the number of small earthquakes blamed on the drilling.