- UN chief names choices for top UN environments posts Updated: May-03-16 7:58 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The newly-appointed head of the U.N. environment agency said Tuesday he wants to change the organization to relate more to the average person and plans to further engage the private sector to achieve global environmental goals.
- Fatal helicopter crash in Norway caused by technical failure Updated: May-03-16 3:52 pm
HELSINKI - A helicopter accident in western Norway last week that killed all 13 people on board was caused by technical failure and not human error, investigators said Tuesday.
- Filipino militants threaten 3 hostages after beheading 1 Updated: May-03-16 3:45 pm
MANILA, Philippines - Muslim militants have threatened to kill three more hostages in their jungle base in the southern Philippines more than a week after beheading a Canadian man when their multi-million dollar ransom demands were not met.
- Family, friends making photo book honoring avalanche victim Updated: Apr-30-16 2:05 am
BOZEMAN, Montana - Jonell Anderson sweetly sorted through the dozens of photographs that covered the dining room table in her Bozeman home.
- The Latest: Black boxes found in Norwegian helicopter crash Updated: Apr-29-16 1:57 pm
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - The Latest on the crash of a helicopter on an island off western Norway (all times local):
- Statoil swings to Q1 profit partly offset by cost cuts Updated: Apr-27-16 4:42 am
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Norwegian oil and gas company Statoil ASA has swung to a profit of $611 million in the first quarter as reduced costs helped offset low crude prices.
- Norway appeals ruling that Breivik's rights were violated Updated: Apr-26-16 9:35 am
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Norway's government on Tuesday filed an appeal against the Oslo district court's ruling that Norwegian authorities had violated the human rights of mass killer Anders Behring Breivik.
- Canadian man decapitated by Philippine extremists Updated: Apr-25-16 5:11 pm
MANILA, Philippines - Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau confirmed that the decapitated head of a Caucasian male recovered Monday night in the southern Philippines belongs to one of two Canadians taken hostage by Abu Sayyaf militants in September.
- Norwegian fighter jet fires at control tower during training Updated: Apr-24-16 6:43 am
HELSINKI - The Norwegian Air Force says an F-16 fighter jet accidentally fired at a lookout tower near three military personnel during target practice earlier this month, but that no one was hurt.
- Norwegian fighter jet drops training mission to save patient Updated: Apr-22-16 10:37 am
STOCKHOLM - In an unusual life-saving mission, a Norwegian fighter jet flew to the rescue when a patient in the country's north needed urgent help.
- Snowden seeks legal guarantee to receive prize in Norway Updated: Apr-21-16 1:56 pm
STOCKHOLM - A Norwegian law firm says it has filed a lawsuit asking an Oslo court to ensure that Edward Snowden can travel to Norway to receive an award without risk of being extradited to the United States.
- Stricter offshore drilling rules issued, upsetting industry Updated: Apr-14-16 4:25 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The Obama administration issued new rules Thursday to make offshore oil and natural gas drilling equipment safer and to reduce risks in digging wells, but the oil industry and its supporters in Congress say they are costly and questioned their need.
- After Panama leak, Norway's open tax system inspires some Updated: Apr-14-16 12:32 pm
STAVANGER, Norway - The spirit of transparency that has propelled Britain's top politicians to release their tax returns is already a fact of life in Norway, where the annual financial details of every taxpayer are published online in a searchable database.
- Norway's state church votes in favor of same-sex marriages Updated: Apr-11-16 12:38 pm
HELSINKI - In a major ecclesiastical turnaround, a large majority of Norway's church synod have voted in favor of same-sex marriages.
- Norwegian drilling rig owner criticized over fatal accident Updated: Apr-08-16 7:40 am
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Authorities in Norway say a drilling rig had breached two safety regulations when a huge wave slammed into the offshore platform's living quarters last year, killing one and injuring four.
- Norway: 2 arrested in connection with 2009 Munch art heist Updated: Apr-06-16 10:18 am
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Two men have been arrested and jailed for four weeks in connection with the 2009 theft of a valuable work by Edvard Munch from an Oslo art dealer, Norwegian police said Wednesday.
- Bjoerndalen to keep competing, and have a child Updated: Apr-05-16 9:47 am
OSLO, Norway - Olympic great Ole Einar Bjoerndalen has put retirement plans on hold to compete in biathlon for two more years, and will soon be a father.