- Porto beats Benfica 2-1, gets back in contention in Portugal Updated: Feb-12-16 5:50 pm
LISBON, Portugal - FC Porto rallied to defeat Benfica 2-1 on Friday, snapping the rival's eight-game winning streak and getting back to the title race at the Portuguese league.
- In southern Europe, an astute negotiator unpicks austerity Updated: Feb-12-16 12:16 pm
LISBON, Portugal - He doesn't boast about being an expert deal-maker like Donald Trump, but new Portuguese Prime Minister Antonio Costa is quietly building a reputation as a canny negotiator and a government leader to watch in southern Europe by doing what many people thought was impossible.
- Portugal's PM vows to press ahead with anti-austerity plans Updated: Feb-12-16 8:02 am
LISBON, Portugal - The Portuguese prime minister says he has taken note of European Union concerns about his debt-heavy country's spending plans but is determined to make his anti-austerity program work.
- Portugal's fellow euro states keep wary eye on its budget Updated: Feb-11-16 3:42 pm
BRUSSELS - Portugal's fellow states in the 19-nation eurozone are keeping a wary eye on its new government's plans to roll back budget austerity measures, with the bloc's top executive and Germany both warning the country not to miss deficit targets.
- Portugal lawmakers overturn veto on gay rights, abortion law Updated: Feb-10-16 11:56 am
LISBON, Portugal - Same-sex couples will soon be able to adopt children in Portugal after lawmakers voted to overturn a presidential veto, with parliament also removing some abortion restrictions Wednesday.
- Portugal buys 50 percent of TAP airline for $2.1 million Updated: Feb-06-16 11:05 am
LISBON, Portugal - The Portuguese government says it has agreed to buy 50 percent of the country's carrier TAP Air Portugal for 1.9 million euros ($2.1 million).
- Anti-austerity Portuguese government gets EU's OK for budget Updated: Feb-05-16 1:09 pm
LISBON, Portugal - In a tug of war over budgets, the European Commission approved Portugal's so-called anti-austerity spending plan on Friday, but only after extracting a promise for almost $1 billion in additional cost cuts.
- Sporting KC loans Erik Palmer-Brown to Portugal's FC Porto Updated: Feb-01-16 7:48 pm
- The Latest: Stoke signs $26m Imbula in winter's biggest deal Updated: Feb-01-16 6:03 pm
LONDON - The Latest on European soccer transfer deadline day (all times local):
- Portugal's president blocks laws on gay adoption, abortion Updated: Jan-25-16 8:23 am
LISBON, Portugal - Portugal's president has vetoed bills recently passed by Parliament that granted full adoption rights to same-sex couples and removed abortion restrictions.
- Portugal's new president demands financial discipline Updated: Jan-24-16 6:39 pm
LISBON, Portugal - A center-right candidate scored a resounding victory in Portugal's presidential election Sunday, warning he would use the largely ceremonial post to prevent the center-left anti-austerity government from worsening the debt-heavy country's financial health.
- Portugal to nominate Antonio Guterres as UN chief Updated: Jan-22-16 10:48 am
LISBON, Portugal - Portugal's government says it will nominate former prime minister Antonio Guterres to become the next secretary-general of the United Nations.
- Portuguese, Puerto Rican hall project gets $250,000 donation Updated: Jan-22-16 7:17 am
WAILUKU, Hawaii - A multimillion-dollar project to build a social hall and office building for the Portuguese Association of Maui and Maui Puerto Rican Association is one step closer to completion thanks to a $250,000 donation from a Maui business owner.
- Porto hires a Portuguese coach to replace fired Spaniard Updated: Jan-20-16 5:25 am
LISBON, Portugal - FC Porto says it has hired Portuguese coach Jose Peseiro on an 18-month contract to replace Spaniard Julen Lopetegui.
- Portugal striker Hugo Almeida signs for Hannover Updated: Jan-16-16 12:13 pm
BREMEN, Germany - Portugal striker Hugo Almeida is returning to the Bundesliga to reunite with coach Thomas Schaaf at relegation-threatened Hannover.
- Rare January hurricane weakens to tropical storm Updated: Jan-15-16 10:28 am
MIAMI - A rare January hurricane in the Atlantic weakened to a tropical storm Friday morning after moving over the Azores.
- Portuguese court rules to extradite ex-CIA agent to Italy Updated: Jan-15-16 7:20 am
LISBON, Portugal - A Portuguese court has ruled that a former CIA operative convicted of kidnapping an Egyptian cleric as part of an extraordinary renditions program should be turned over to Italy to serve her six-year sentence there, a court official said Friday.