- What crisis? Stronger banks, economies ease fear over Greece Updated: Jul-02-15 3:13 am
The prospect of a Greek crackup isn't so terrifying anymore.
- Colombian striker Martinez moves to Atletico Madrid Updated: Jul-01-15 6:06 am
- Sweden wins Under-21 title by beating Portugal in shootout Updated: Jun-30-15 6:05 pm
PRAGUE - Sweden beat Portugal 4-3 in a penalty shootout on Tuesday to win the European Under-21 Championship for the first time.
- Spain, Portugal issue health alerts amid scorching temps Updated: Jun-29-15 11:26 am
LISBON, Portugal - Spain and Portugal both issued weather alerts Monday, advising residents to take extra care as temperatures soared above 40 C (104 F) in some southern areas.
- Lisbon subway shuts again as workers reject private company Updated: Jun-26-15 5:50 am
LISBON, Portugal - Their battle appears lost but Lisbon subway workers have walked off the job for the eighth time this year in protest against the government's decision to place the service in private hands.
- New TAP Air Portugal owners vow expansion in US, Brazil Updated: Jun-24-15 6:43 am
LISBON, Portugal - TAP Air Portugal's new owners said Wednesday they intend to expand operations to 10 more U.S. destinations and eight more in Brazil, while bringing more passengers from those countries into Europe.
- Portugal pilots warned of 70,000 homing pigeons Updated: Jun-20-15 9:50 am
LISBON, Portugal - Airplane pilots in Portugal have been advised to fly with special care after 70,000 homing pigeons were released in Spain to participate in a race back to their homes in Portugal.
- Crisis-hit Europeans: Greece must knuckle down like they did Updated: Jun-19-15 6:52 am
LISBON, Portugal - Europeans in countries which adopted unpopular austerity measures to overcome the recent financial crisis are starting to reap the rewards, even if times are still hard for many and numerous factors are playing a role in the recovery.
- Bus crash in Portugal kills 3 Dutch tourists, injures 31 Updated: Jun-18-15 7:22 am
LISBON, Portugal - A bus carrying Dutch tourists crashed in southern Portugal, killing three tourists and injuring 30 others and the Portuguese bus driver, officials said.
- Portugal beats Italy 1-0 in friendly for Conte's 1st loss Updated: Jun-16-15 5:38 pm
GENEVA - Portugal beat Italy 1-0 in an international friendly in Geneva on Tuesday to inflict Antonio Conte's first defeat as national team coach.
- Benfica names Rui Vitoria as coach after Jesus departs Updated: Jun-15-15 7:56 am
LISBON, Portugal - Portuguese coach Rui Vitoria is taking charge at Benfica, where Jorge Jesus quit two weeks ago and moved to crosstown rival Sporting Lisbon.
- Mali, Senegal lead African charge at Under-20 World Cup Updated: Jun-14-15 4:44 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - African countries captured two semifinal places at the Under-20 World Cup on Sunday as Mali and Senegal kept up their surprising run in the tournament.
- Brazil beats Portugal 3-1 on penalties at U20 World Cup Updated: Jun-14-15 3:35 am
HAMILTON, New Zealand - Brazil survived its second-straight penalty shootout, beating Portugal 3-1 Sunday to advance to the semifinals of the FIFA Under-20 World Cup.
- Ronaldo nets 3, Portugal beats Armenia 3-2 in Euro qualifier Updated: Jun-13-15 2:12 pm
YEREVAN, Armenia - Cristiano Ronaldo's hat trick gave 10-man Portugal a 3-2 win at Armenia in a 2016 European Championship qualifier on Saturday.
- Ex-Portugal PM stays in jail after rejecting ankle monitor Updated: Jun-10-15 5:35 am
LISBON, Portugal - A judge has ruled that former Portuguese Prime Minister Jose Socrates must remain in prison after refusing an offer of house detention requiring him to wear an ankle bracelet monitoring device.
- Portugal reimburses IMF early, displays financial health Updated: Jun-08-15 6:15 am
LISBON, Portugal - Portugal is showing off its relative financial health - and signaling it is different from Greece - by paying back another batch of international loans ahead of their due date.
- Conte calls up 6 Juve players for Croatia, Portugal games Updated: Jun-06-15 2:23 pm
ROME - Six Juventus players will go directly from the Champions League final to join Italy's squad for upcoming matches against Croatia and Portugal.
- Netflix to expand into Italy, Portugal in October Updated: Jun-06-15 4:04 am
LOS GATOS, California - Netflix will debut in Italy and Portugal in October as the Internet video service accelerates its international expansion.
- Pot remains Europe's most used drug, agency report says Updated: Jun-04-15 6:35 am
LISBON, Portugal - Marijuana continues to be the European Union's most commonly used drug, with almost 79 million EU citizens estimated to have tried it at some point in their lives, the bloc's drug agency said in a report published Thursday.