- Hospital order wins Spanish prize for humanitarian work Updated: Sep-02-15 7:34 am
MADRID - The Hospitaller Order of St. John of God, which played an important role in treating Ebola patients in Africa over the past year, has been awarded Spain's Princess of Asturias humanitarian award.
- Transfer window: Club rifts, failed moves, record spend Updated: Sep-01-15 6:06 pm
LONDON - A record $1.3 billion was spent by English Premier League clubs in the summer transfer window.
- United-Madrid blame game after De Gea deadline-day debacle Updated: Sep-01-15 3:02 pm
MADRID - The deadline arrived, but the announcement never did.
- Spain: Police search family house of train attacker Updated: Sep-01-15 12:03 pm
MADRID - Spanish police on Tuesday searched the family house of the Moroccan man arrested for trying to stage an attack on a high-speed train traveling to Paris last month.
- The Latest: Trafficking surges in fake Syrian passports Updated: Sep-01-15 10:10 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - The latest developments as tens of thousands of migrants flood into countries across Europe. All times local (CET):
- Merkel makes vague warning on Catalan independence plan Updated: Sep-01-15 6:58 am
BERLIN - German Chancellor Angela Merkel says European Union treaties guarantee the integrity and sovereignty of member nations, a diplomatic warning to separatist politicians in the Spanish region of Catalonia who plan to declare independence if they win a majority in upcoming local elections.
- Death toll in Spanish fireworks factory blast raised to 6 Updated: Sep-01-15 5:29 am
MADRID - The number of people killed in a huge fireworks factory explosion in northeastern Spain has been raised to six after the body of a missing man was found early Tuesday, officials said.
- Huge blast at Spanish fireworks factory kills 5, wounds 6 Updated: Aug-31-15 3:41 pm
MADRID - A huge explosion Monday at a fireworks factory in northeastern Spain killed five people and injured six others, authorities said.
- Wildfire destroys 5,000 acres in northwest Spain Updated: Aug-31-15 8:05 am
MADRID - Firefighters, soldiers and residents are battling to extinguish a wildfire that has destroyed some 2,000 hectares (5,000 acres) of woodland and fields in northwestern Spain.
- Spain to hand over US-Belgian arrested over blood diamonds Updated: Aug-31-15 6:34 am
MADRID - An American-Belgian businessman arrested for suspected involvement in enslavement and pillaging blood diamonds during Sierra Leone's civil war will be handed over shortly to Belgium, a Spanish court official said Monday.
- Atletico Madrid beats Sevilla 3-0 to stay in front in Spain Updated: Aug-30-15 7:02 pm
MADRID - Jorge "Koke" Resurreccion, Gabi Fernandez and substitute forward Jackson Martinez scored a goal each as Atletico Madrid defeated Sevilla 3-0 on Sunday to win its second game in a row and keep pace with Barcelona atop the Spanish league.
- Bull gores 66-year-old man to death during Spanish festival Updated: Aug-30-15 2:46 pm
MADRID - A Spanish mayor says a man has died after being charged down and gored by a bull that was being herded into a northern village as part of annual celebrations to honor its patron saint.
- Dumoulin wins 9th Vuelta stage, takes overall lead Updated: Aug-30-15 1:18 pm
EL POBLE NOU DE BENITATXELL, Spain - Tom Dumoulin passed Tour de France winner Chris Froome with about 50 meters (yards) left in a steep climb to win the ninth stage and take the overall lead of the Spanish Vuelta on Sunday.
- Boeckmans in stable condition after Vuelta crash Updated: Aug-30-15 12:03 pm
MURCIA, Spain - Spanish Vuelta organizers say Belgian rider Kris Boeckmans is in stable condition after undergoing surgery to treat injuries sustained in a serious crash on Saturday.
- Spanish mayor denies his town destroyed Stone Age tomb Updated: Aug-30-15 11:17 am
MADRID - The mayor of a village in northwestern Spain denies his town council destroyed a heritage-protected Stone Age monument to replace it with a picnic table.
- City doesn't waste Chelsea slip, Madrid wins big in Spain Updated: Aug-29-15 7:50 pm
LONDON - Chelsea's Premier League title defense is already floundering after a rare home loss let Manchester City increase its lead following a fourth consecutive win on Saturday.
- Midfielder Denis Suarez joins Villarreal from Barcelona Updated: Aug-29-15 1:12 pm
BARCELONA, Spain - Midfielder Denis Suarez is leaving Barcelona to join Villarreal on a permanent transfer after he cut short his loan deal at Sevilla by one season.
- Neymar recovers from mumps, fit for 1st match Updated: Aug-29-15 7:32 am
BARCELONA, Spain - Barcelona says Neymar has been cleared to play his first match of the season after having recovered from the mumps.
- Attack draws new scrutiny to railways linking open Europe Updated: Aug-28-15 2:43 pm
PARIS - Europe's rail system is at the heart of its open borders, a way for passengers to travel on some of the world's fastest and most sophisticated mass transit with no need for passports or even ID.
- Cousin of drug kingpin sentenced to 16 years in prison Updated: Aug-28-15 1:22 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - A cousin of one of the world's most notorious drug lords who prosecutors say was working to distribute cocaine in the United States has been sentenced in a New Hampshire court to 16 years in federal prison.
- Mom angry over $60 for Barcelona match ticket for baby Updated: Aug-28-15 10:35 am
MADRID - A Spanish woman is fuming after football club Barcelona made her pay 54 euros ($60) for a match ticket for her 10-month-old baby even though the seat wouldn't be used.
- Spain coach calls up David de Gea for Euro 2016 qualifiers Updated: Aug-28-15 9:56 am
MADRID - Spain coach Vicente del Bosque on Friday included goalkeeper David de Gea, Diego Costa and Juan Mata in his squad to take on Slovakia and Macedonia in qualifying matches for next year's European Championship.
- Germany picks Liverpool's Emre Can for Euro qualifiers Updated: Aug-28-15 9:09 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Germany coach Joachim Loew called up Liverpool midfielder Emre Can on Friday for the upcoming European Championship qualifying matches against Poland and Scotland.
- UEFA Champions League Group Stage Draw Updated: Aug-27-15 1:00 pm
MONACO - Draw made Thursday for the UEFA Champions League group stage:
- Suspected jihadi recruiter jailed in Spain Updated: Aug-27-15 11:04 am
MADRID - A Spanish judge has ordered a Moroccan man to jail on provisional charges of coordinating a cell that recruited jihadi fighters from Spain and Morocco for the Islamic State group.