- Messi on form, Suarez scores 3 as Barcelona beats Celta Updated: Feb-14-16 5:04 pm
MADRID - Lionel Messi put on another show at the Camp Nou on Sunday, scoring a remarkable goal from a free kick and then helping to set up a hat trick for Luis Suarez - including a daring assist from a penalty kick - as Barcelona thrashed Celta Vigo 6-1.
- 2 people missing as weather causes havoc in Spain, Portugal Updated: Feb-14-16 12:41 pm
MADRID - Rescue services are searching for two missing people after heavy rainfall and strong winds damaged buildings and blocked roads in northern Spain and Portugal.
- Spain: Popular Party official quits amid corruption claims Updated: Feb-14-16 10:52 am
MADRID - The president of the Madrid branch of Spain's center-right Popular Party resigned Sunday amid allegations that the party benefited from irregular funding.
- Juventus beats Napoli to lead Serie A, Man U loses again Updated: Feb-13-16 6:17 pm
Juventus got a late goal to beat Napoli 1-0 and snatch the lead of Italy's Serie A from its southern rival on Saturday.
- Protesters in Spain urge puppeteers' acquittal on charges Updated: Feb-13-16 1:51 pm
MADRID - Protesters marched through Madrid and the southern Spanish city of Granada on Saturday calling for charges to be dropped against two puppeteers jailed for allegedly praising terrorism.
- Cruyff, sure of cancer recovery, says he leads disease 2-0 Updated: Feb-13-16 8:58 am
LONDON - Dutch soccer great Johan Cruyff announced Saturday that he is "2-0 up in the first half" and confident he will go on to win his battle against lung cancer.
- Barcelona-Real Madrid rivalry spills into Copa del Rey final Updated: Feb-12-16 2:55 pm
MADRID - The rivalry between Real Madrid and Barcelona has spilled into the Copa del Rey final, a match in which Madrid isn't even playing.
- Spain premier doesn't shake hands with opposition leader Updated: Feb-12-16 2:35 pm
MADRID - Acting Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy didn't shake hands with Socialist leader Pedro Sanchez during a meeting that's part of the drive to form a government following an inconclusive national election.
- Spain: Civil servant fined after skipping work for years Updated: Feb-12-16 2:23 pm
MADRID - The case started with confusion over where a civil servant in southern Spain worked. Now a court has ruled he must pay back nearly 27,000 euros ($30,500) in wages because for years he actually didn't work at all.
- Witness: Spouse of Spain princess wanted sports deal 'toll' Updated: Feb-11-16 7:19 am
MADRID - A witness at the trial of Spain's Princess Cristina and 16 others has testified that the princess' husband wanted a commission of 300,000 euros ($339,000) as a "toll" to help the regional Balearic Islands government land a cycling sponsorship deal.
- Spain: Ex-Catalan leader in court as corruption suspect Updated: Feb-10-16 5:18 am
MADRID - Jordi Pujol, former longtime leader of Spain's powerful northeastern Catalonia region, is being quizzed in the National Court as a suspect in a money-laundering probe.
- Leicester and Riyad Mahrez lead AP Global Football 10 Updated: Feb-09-16 2:59 pm
LONDON - Leicester and its playmaker Riyad Mahrez took leading honors in the Associated Press Global Football 10 on Tuesday after two Premier League wins in a week against Liverpool and Manchester City.
- American flamenco dancer honored by King of Spain Updated: Feb-09-16 2:40 pm
WASHINGTON - Flamenco dancer Edwin Aparicio has been awarded a medal by King Felipe VI of Spain.
- Marcelo could miss Champions League game because of injury Updated: Feb-09-16 1:58 pm
MADRID - Left back Marcelo is expected to miss Real Madrid's game against Roma in the knockout stage of the Champions League because of a right shoulder injury.
- Irish deploy military-style checkpoints to suppress gang war Updated: Feb-09-16 11:20 am
DUBLIN - Ireland's police force deployed military-style road checkpoints Tuesday as the government announced toughened measures to try to prevent a gang war in Dublin from claiming more lives.
- Spain drops fraud investigation of former Mexico politician Updated: Feb-09-16 9:53 am
MADRID - Spain's National Court has dropped an investigation into a prominent former Mexican politician arrested last month in a corruption probe.
- Spain: Trash fire causes rail commuter chaos in Barcelona Updated: Feb-09-16 7:16 am
MADRID - Tens of thousands of commuters in the Spanish city of Barcelona suffered travel chaos Tuesday as smoke from a fire filled railway tunnels and forced authorities to suspend train service for several hours.
- Spain: Princess Cristina back in court for tax fraud trial Updated: Feb-09-16 4:40 am
PALMA DE MALLORCA, Spain - Spain's Princess Cristina was back in court Tuesday for trial along with 17 others, including her husband, on charges ranging from tax fraud to embezzlement.
- Barcelona says Messi to undergo tests for kidney problems Updated: Feb-08-16 2:19 pm
BARCELONA, Spain - Barcelona says Lionel Messi is to undergo medical tests to assess a recurrence of kidney problems.
- It's now or never for Leicester in this odds-defying season Updated: Feb-08-16 1:46 pm
LONDON - The wealth of elite clubs and financial restrictions on upstarts were thought to be locking in the established order in English soccer and suppressing ambition.
- Spain's Sports Council strips Dominguez of athlete status Updated: Feb-08-16 8:20 am
MADRID - Spain's Sports Council has stripped runner Marta Dominguez of her status as a Spanish athlete after the Court of Arbitration for Sport banned her for three years for blood doping and removed her 2009 world steeplechase title.
- Murder suspect of dismembered Spaniard arrested in Cambodia Updated: Feb-07-16 11:50 pm
PNHOM PENH, Cambodia - A Spanish man who is the prime suspect in the gruesome murder of a fellow Spaniard was arrested in Cambodia, where he is believed to have fled after the victim's dismembered body was recovered piece by piece from Bangkok's Chao Phraya River, police said Monday.
- Neville says he's being unfairly judged as Valencia coach Updated: Feb-07-16 3:31 pm
MADRID - Gary Neville says he has been unfairly judged as Valencia coach despite admitting that the team's winless streak in the Spanish league is "unacceptable."
- Spanish village of Lantz celebrates clash between good, evil Updated: Feb-07-16 12:15 pm
LANTZ, Spain - The inhabitants of a northern Spanish mountain village have taken part in an age-old Carnival festival that re-enacts a legendary confrontation between good and evil.
- Spanish police arrest 7 on suspicion of jihadi links to IS Updated: Feb-07-16 11:06 am
MADRID - Spanish police arrested seven suspected members of a jihadi cell linked to the Islamic State group and Jabhat al-Nusra militants during raids Sunday in the eastern provinces of Valencia and Alicante, and in Spain's North African enclave of Ceuta.