- Coach Ernesto Valverde to stay another season at Bilbao Updated: May-22-15 2:30 pm
BILBAO, Spain - Athletic Bilbao coach Ernesto Valverde has agreed to a one-year contract extension that will keep him at the Basque club through the end of next season.
- Spain: Local election seen as test for new upstart parties Updated: May-22-15 10:53 am
MADRID - Spain could be set for a political upheaval in key local elections this weekend, with strong signs that voters fed up with economic crisis and corruption scandals may punish both the ruling conservative Popular Party and the leading opposition Socialists.
- Court releases 4 suspects in soccer fight death Updated: May-22-15 9:06 am
MADRID - A Spanish court has released four suspects in the death of a soccer fan following a brutal street fight between rival "ultra" groups in the Spanish capital in November.
- ECB tells governments: Don't wait to fix Europe's economy Updated: May-22-15 7:39 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - European Central Bank head Mario Draghi says governments that share the euro currency shouldn't wait for better times to push through reforms that would boost sluggish growth.
- Spanish opposition parties challenge new 'gag law' Updated: May-22-15 6:25 am
MADRID - Spanish opposition parties have filed an appeal against the conservative government's new Public Security Law, known as the "gag law," before the Constitutional Court, a court spokeswoman said Friday.
- Spain grants temporary residence to boy found in suitcase Updated: May-21-15 12:22 pm
MADRID - The Spanish government on Thursday granted a temporary residence permit to an 8-year-old Ivory Coast boy that a woman tried to smuggle into Spain in a suitcase.
- Spain: Ex-IMF chief must pay $20M to unfreeze his accounts Updated: May-21-15 12:02 pm
MADRID - A judge overseeing the fraud and money laundering case involving former International Monetary Fund chief Rodrigo Rato has ordered him to put up 18 million euros ($20 million) as collateral to unblock his financial accounts.
- Relegation battle comes down to last day of Spanish league Updated: May-21-15 8:32 am
BARCELONA, Spain - While the title fight is over, there is still plenty to play for on the final day of the Spanish league season Saturday, when 11 teams play for either for berths in European competition or to avoid relegation.
- Xavi to leave Barcelona after 17 trophy-filled seasons Updated: May-21-15 7:33 am
SANT JOAN DESPI, Spain - Barcelona midfielder Xavi Hernandez says he will leave the Catalan club after 17 trophy-laden seasons in which he set club records for appearances and titles won.
- Spanish political renegade poses threat to dominant parties Updated: May-21-15 5:43 am
BARCELONA, Spain - Nearly a decade ago, Albert Rivera caused a stir in Spanish local politics by posing nude in campaign posters. These days, he sports Hugo Boss suits but his campaign on the national stage is no less eye-catching: His upstart Ciudadanos Party is cutting into support for the ruling conservatives, threatening to bust open Spain's traditional two-party system.
- Despite growth uptick, full recovery still far for Europe Updated: May-20-15 11:10 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Europe's economy has been down so long, even a bit of growth looks like recovery.
- Spain's Princess Leonor breaks tradition with 1st communion Updated: May-20-15 10:18 am
MADRID - Princess Leonor, heir to the Spanish throne, has celebrated her first communion in a low-key ceremony that broke with tradition.
- Spain's Civil Guard erroneously listed as terror group Updated: May-20-15 9:50 am
MADRID - Spain's regional Basque Country government is apologizing after the nation's Civil Guard police force was mistakenly listed on an official Internet page as a terrorist group.
- Spanish philosopher wins major prize for communication Updated: May-20-15 6:40 am
MADRID - Spanish philosopher Emilio Lledo Inigo has been awarded Spain's Princess of Asturias communications and humanities award.
- Remains of all 150 Germanwings crash victims are identified Updated: May-19-15 1:42 pm
PARIS - The remains of all 150 victims of the Germanwings plane crash in the French Alps will be turned over to their families for burial now that investigators have completed the process of identifying them.
- Spain arrests 16 for defending terror acts on Internet Updated: May-19-15 9:58 am
MADRID - Spanish police have arrested 16 people suspected of praising and encouraging terror acts by three radical Spanish groups.
- Airbus orders checks on A400M electronic systems Updated: May-19-15 9:29 am
PARIS - The maker of the Airbus A400M military transport plane that crashed in Spain this month has warned air forces flying the plane to carry out checks on its electronic systems before the next flights.
- Spain: Prosecutor calls on judge to slash princess' bail Updated: May-19-15 9:20 am
MADRID - The prosecutor has called on a Spanish judge to slash the 2.7 million-euro ($3.1 million) bail set for Princess Cristina while she awaits trial for tax fraud, a Balearic Islands justice tribunal official said Tuesday.
- Spain's ex-premier delays Venezuela trip to help politician Updated: May-18-15 12:36 pm
MADRID - Spain's former prime minister Felipe Gonzalez has postponed his plans to travel to Venezuela to help defend jailed opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez until a date is set for the politician's trial.
- UEFA picks Turkish referee Cakir for Champions League final Updated: May-18-15 12:30 pm
NYON, Switzerland - UEFA has picked Cuneyt Cakir of Turkey to referee the Champions League final.
- Spain joins criticism of European migrant quota proposal Updated: May-18-15 11:40 am
MADRID - Spain is criticizing a proposed plan that would see more migrants sent its way as part of a package of measures designed to ease pressure on countries dealing with a huge influx of migrants into Europe.
- Spain: Police arrest 5 for trying to buy kidney Updated: May-18-15 7:28 am
MADRID - Spanish police say they have arrested five people suspected of trying to force a Moroccan immigrant to sell one of his kidneys for 6,000 euros ($7,000).
- Spain expects stronger economic growth this year Updated: May-18-15 6:31 am
MADRID - Spain's economy minister the country's economic growth is likely to pick up speed and could hit 3.5 percent this year.
- Barcelona wins Spanish title, Man United looking at 4th Updated: May-17-15 7:50 pm
Barcelona clinched its 23rd Spanish league title on Sunday thanks to Lionel Messi.
- Barcelona wins Spanish title, Man United looking at 4th Updated: May-17-15 6:32 pm
Barcelona clinched its 23rd Spanish league title on Sunday thanks to - who else - Lionel Messi.