- Europe's migrant crisis brings new death by land and sea Updated: Aug-28-15 4:28 pm
VIENNA - Death and desperation mounted in Europe's migrant crisis Friday as Austrian police said 71 people appeared to have suffocated in the back of an abandoned truck, while an estimated 200 people were feared drowned off Libya when two overloaded boats capsized.
- The Latest: Red Crescent: At least 105 dead in sea off Libya Updated: Aug-28-15 8:47 am
GENEVA - Here are the latest developments Friday regarding the tens of thousands of migrants trying to reach Europe.
- US blocks Nicaragua bid to extradite FIFA case suspect Updated: Aug-27-15 11:51 am
BERN, Switzerland - The United States has blocked Nicaragua's attempt to extradite FIFA bribery case suspect Julio Rocha to his home country.
- US targets Swiss bodega for ties to Colombian rebels Updated: Aug-27-15 11:43 am
BOGOTA, Colombia - The U.S. Treasury Department is levying financial sanctions on four Colombians accused of laundering money for leftist rebels through a speciality grocer and money transfer shop in Switzerland.
- UN refugee chief seeks better EU cooperation on migrants Updated: Aug-26-15 4:18 pm
GENEVA - The Europe Union's asylum system is "completely dysfunctional," the head of the U.N. refugee agency said Wednesday, urging the bloc to better coordinate its response to the influx of thousands of refugees fleeing violence in Africa and the Middle East.
- Platini's credentials as reformer questioned by FIFA rival Updated: Aug-26-15 2:36 pm
LONDON - As Michel Platini prepares to reveal his FIFA presidential vision, a rival contender is launching his campaign by questioning the UEFA leader's long-standing association with Sepp Blatter and his credentials to reform the scandal-tainted governing body.
- Russia fined for snubbing Canada's anthem at hockey worlds Updated: Aug-24-15 10:52 am
ZURICH - The Russian Hockey Federation was fined Monday over the national team snubbing Canada's victory celebrations after the world championship final.
- Swiss advance bid to return $40 million stolen from Tunisia Updated: Aug-24-15 10:49 am
BERN, Switzerland - A Swiss official says his country has made headway toward returning some $40 million that was stolen from the Tunisian state and has been sitting in Swiss banks since Tunisia's longtime regime collapsed in the Arab Spring uprising.
- 2 planes collide at Swiss airshow, killing 1 pilot Updated: Aug-23-15 11:19 am
BERLIN - One pilot died when two small planes collided in the air and crashed at an airshow in northern Switzerland on Sunday, police said.
- Blatter gets cow, milks support at home charity event Updated: Aug-22-15 12:12 pm
ULRICHEN, Switzerland - Sepp Blatter was given a cow but gave little away about FIFA business at his annual charity football tournament on Saturday.
- FIFA, WCup sponsors talk in secret over corruption crisis Updated: Aug-20-15 4:34 pm
ZURICH - FIFA has met with some World Cup sponsors in a meeting they demanded after a corruption crisis rocked football's governing body.
- Leicester signs Switzerland midfielder Inler from Napoli Updated: Aug-19-15 8:15 am
LEICESTER, England - Premier League club Leicester has signed Switzerland midfielder Gokhan Inler from Napoli.
- Weak commodities market drives Glencore to first-half loss Updated: Aug-19-15 4:19 am
GENEVA - Commodities and mining group Glencore PLC slumped to a first-half loss of $676 million in the wake of weak commodities prices and costs linked to the suspension of oil drilling operations in Chad.
- UN approves statement aimed at restoring peace to Syria Updated: Aug-17-15 5:47 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The Security Council unanimously approved a statement backing intensive preparatory talks on key issues to restore peace to Syria on Monday, a sign of possible change in the U.N.'s most powerful body which has been deeply divided over how to end the war which has killed more than 250,000 people.
- Olympic champion Alptekin loses 1,500-meter title for doping Updated: Aug-17-15 9:59 am
GENEVA - Olympic champion Asli Cakir Alptekin has agreed to give up her 1,500-meter title and serve an 8-year ban for blood doping, dealing another blow to track and field.
- UEFA urges FIFA to investigate alleged smear of Platini Updated: Aug-16-15 4:35 pm
GENEVA - UEFA has complained to FIFA about an alleged attempt to discredit its president Michel Platini, who is currently the favorite to succeed Sepp Blatter as head of the world governing body.
- Massachusetts energy delegation heading to Switzerland Updated: Aug-15-15 9:44 am
BOSTON - A delegation of Massachusetts energy experts is heading to Switzerland for a forum intended to showcase the newest technologies and encourage the sharing of ideas.
- Top draft prospect Matthews headed to Switzerland Updated: Aug-14-15 5:33 pm
MONTREAL - The idea to play pro hockey with the Zurich Lions was sparked in April when Auston Matthews led the U.S. team to a gold medal in the world under-18 championship.
- Swiss players banned for cash to team that beat league rival Updated: Aug-14-15 9:17 am
BERN, Switzerland - Two Swiss top-tier players have been suspended for 12 matches over illegal payments to another team in last season's promotion chase.
- Hoyas men's hoops team ready for incident-free trip to Italy Updated: Aug-13-15 7:23 pm
WASHINGTON - Georgetown men's basketball coach John Thompson III is once again making sure his Hoyas have their passports in order.
- Switzerland lifts some sanctions against Iran Updated: Aug-12-15 4:58 pm
BERLIN - Switzerland is lifting some sanctions against Iran in what it calls a sign of support for the agreement between Tehran and world powers over its nuclear program.
- 'Positive' UN-brokered talks on Libya wrap up in Geneva Updated: Aug-12-15 1:07 pm
BERLIN - Two days of U.N.-brokered talks on Libya has ended in Geneva, with the U.N. envoy seeking agreement on a national unity government in the next three weeks.
- Soccer player treated for cancer wins case over stopped pay Updated: Aug-12-15 6:51 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - A football player whose contract was suspended by his club while he was treated for cancer has been awarded "moral damages" of around $60,000.
- World downhill champion Kueng sidelined by knee injury Updated: Aug-12-15 4:38 am
BERN, Switzerland - World downhill champion Patrick Kueng will skip offseason training in South America to rest his injured knee.
- Stoke signs Swiss midfielder Shaqiri for club-record fee Updated: Aug-11-15 12:12 pm
STOKE, England - Stoke has completed the signing of Swiss international midfielder Xherdan Shaqiri from Inter Milan for a club-record fee of 12 million pounds ($18.68 million).