- Switzerland's Novartis buys US biotech firm Spinifex Updated: Jun-29-15 4:05 am
BERLIN - Swiss drug manufacturer Novartis says it is buying Spinifex Pharmaceuticals, a U.S.-based biotechnology company that specializes in developing treatments for chronic pain.
- Spanish league appeals FIFA switch of 2022 World Cup dates Updated: Jun-28-15 4:50 pm
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - The Spanish football league is challenging FIFA's to switch the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to November-December.
- FIFA election monitor urges Blatter to commit to going Updated: Jun-28-15 9:52 am
GENEVA - Stop flirting with the FIFA presidency and say for sure you are going.
- Once unheard of, US-Iran talks become the new normal Updated: Jun-27-15 11:54 am
VIENNA - The top American and Iranian diplomats faced each other across a square table in a 19th century Viennese palace, the room austerely decorated and the atmosphere calm as they started the final push for a generation-defining nuclear agreement on Saturday.
- Blatter: 'Liberating' to leave FIFA, expects 2016 election Updated: Jun-27-15 9:18 am
GENEVA - Sepp Blatter says his decision to leave FIFA was "liberating" and he expects the election to replace him will be in early 2016.
- Raducan asks IOC for gold medal back from 2000 Olympics Updated: Jun-26-15 10:55 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - Fifteen years after being stripped of her Olympic gold medal following a positive drug test, former Romanian gymnast Andreea Raducan went to the IOC to see if she could get it back. She got sympathy, but not the medal.
- Mo Farah to race in 10,000 at Athletissima meeting Updated: Jun-26-15 9:56 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - Double Olympic champion Mo Farah is to run in the 5,000 meters at the Diamond League meeting in Lausanne.
- Swiss court denies bail release for detainee in FIFA case Updated: Jun-26-15 7:45 am
BELLINZONA, Switzerland - Switzerland's Federal Criminal Court has rejected a request for release on bail by one of the seven men arrested on corruption charges last month in a raid on FIFA's luxury hotel in Zurich.
- Switzerland to send former Srebrenica commander to Bosnia Updated: Jun-25-15 3:11 pm
SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina - Swiss authorities approved on Thursday the extradition of the wartime Bosnian commander of Srebrenica to his home country rather than to Serbia, on whose war crimes warrant he was arrested two weeks ago.
- Ricci Bitti elected new head of sports industry convention Updated: Jun-25-15 1:18 pm
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - International Tennis Federation president Francesco Ricci Bitti is taking over as head of the SportAccord Convention as the conference looks for a host next year to replace Sochi.
- Swiss champion Basel signs Austria forward Marc Janko Updated: Jun-25-15 9:14 am
BASEL, Switzerland - Swiss champion Basel says Austria forward Marc Janko has joined on a free transfer from Sydney.
- Japan beats the Netherlands to reach World Cup quarterfinal Updated: Jun-24-15 1:33 am
VANCOUVER, British Columbia - Japan coach Norio Sasaki apologized for the stressful, flurry of a finish.
- Swiss drop part of case over Mubarak's still-frozen funds Updated: Jun-22-15 1:23 pm
CAIRO - Switzerland is dropping part of a prosecution case against Egypt's longtime autocrat Hosni Mubarak, his close aids and family members, involving hundreds of millions of Swiss francs frozen in Swiss banks.
- WSU Tri-Cities partners with Swiss university Updated: Jun-22-15 6:17 am
RICHLAND, Washington - Washington State University Tri-Cities will begin sending students to study in the largest city in Switzerland in fall 2016.
- Belanger's goal in 52nd minute lifts Canada past Swiss 1-0 Updated: Jun-21-15 11:39 pm
VANCOUVER, British Columbia - John Herdman flew to Quebec in November 2012 for a coaching conference and another matter he considered rather pressing: To bring Josee Belanger back to the national team for a World Cup run at home.
- Spilak wins Tour de Suisse, Thomas lets time-trial lead slip Updated: Jun-21-15 12:26 pm
BERN, Switzerland - Simon Spilak of Slovenia won the Tour de Suisse by just five seconds on Sunday, when Geraint Thomas tired late in the time-trial stage.
- Platini has big decision in great game for FIFA throne Updated: Jun-20-15 2:17 am
GENEVA - After years of waiting, Michel Platini's destiny with FIFA is coming faster than he thought.
- CAS clears violinist Vanessa-Mae in Olympic ski fixing case Updated: Jun-19-15 8:45 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - Pop violinist Vanessa-Mae was cleared by sport's highest court Friday of allegations she helped fix Alpine skiing races so she could qualify for the Sochi Olympics.
- Swiss champion Basel hires Urs Fischer as coach Updated: Jun-18-15 9:45 am
BASEL, Switzerland - Swiss champion Basel has appointed Urs Fischer as coach on a two-year contract.
- Swiss champion Basel agrees to end coach Sousa's contract Updated: Jun-17-15 3:54 pm
BASEL, Switzerland - Swiss champion Basel says it has agreed to terminate coach Paulo Sousa's contract after just one season.
- FIFA prosecutor ready to act as World Cup bids probe widens Updated: Jun-17-15 12:04 pm
ZURICH - FIFA ethics prosecutor Cornel Borbely says he is prepared to open more cases against officials as part of the investigations into the bidding for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.
- Swiss bank named in FIFA indictment opens investigation Updated: Jun-17-15 8:48 am
ZURICH - Swiss private bank Julius Baer says it is investigating its involvement in a FIFA corruption case and is cooperating with authorities.
- Cameroon downs Switzerland 2-1 to advance to knockout stage Updated: Jun-16-15 7:31 pm
Madeleine Ngono Mani came off the bench to score one of two second-half goals as Cameroon became only the second African team to advance to the knockout stage of the Women's World Cup with a 2-1 win over Switzerland in Edmonton, Alberta, on Tuesday.
- Portugal beats Italy 1-0 in friendly for Conte's 1st loss Updated: Jun-16-15 5:38 pm
GENEVA - Portugal beat Italy 1-0 in an international friendly in Geneva on Tuesday to inflict Antonio Conte's first defeat as national team coach.
- Blatter not going to New Zealand for U20 World Cup final Updated: Jun-16-15 6:35 am
ZURICH - FIFA President Sepp Blatter will not go to New Zealand for the Under-20 World Cup final on Saturday.