- Deal reached on calming Ukraine tensions - for now Updated: Apr-17-14 5:29 pm
- Text of joint statement on Ukraine Updated: Apr-17-14 1:30 pm
- Gymnastics officials succeed in appeal to CAS Updated: Apr-17-14 11:51 am
- US readies sanctions on Russia, aid for Ukraine Updated: Apr-16-14 7:08 pm
- US: Russia facing diplomacy or new sanctions Updated: Apr-16-14 4:36 pm
- UN seeks $274 million for Central African Republic Updated: Apr-16-14 10:41 am
- Gay rights group sends petition to IOC Updated: Apr-16-14 7:39 am
- Credit Suisse profits down 34 percent Updated: Apr-16-14 5:01 am
- Russian FM: Russia still to meet with Ukraine Updated: Apr-16-14 3:13 am
- Germany's Merkel calls Putin to discuss Ukraine Updated: Apr-15-14 3:52 pm
- US eyes more action against Russia if talks fail Updated: Apr-15-14 2:46 pm
- FIFA medical chief 'hates' Brazil drug test doubts Updated: Apr-11-14 10:02 am
- Swiss say Palestinians can join Geneva Conventions Updated: Apr-11-14 7:25 am
- 4 gymnastics judges banned for errors, bias Updated: Apr-11-14 6:29 am
- Referee Mark Geiger: Jersey guy at the World Cup Updated: Apr-10-14 5:06 pm
- 5 Switzerland players to watch at World Cup Updated: Apr-10-14 5:47 am
- Retiring Hitzfeld aims to go out on World Cup high Updated: Apr-10-14 5:45 am
- Shaqiri, Switzerland can shine at World Cup Updated: Apr-10-14 5:44 am
- France slim favorite to win Group E ahead of Swiss Updated: Apr-10-14 5:41 am
- Swiss unveil new solar plane for global flight Updated: Apr-09-14 3:34 pm
- Croatia's Simunic appeals World Cup ban at CAS Updated: Apr-09-14 12:36 pm
- Hodgson back in World Cup dugout after 20 years Updated: Apr-09-14 5:24 am
- Juventus, Basel, Porto, Benfica eye Europa semis Updated: Apr-09-14 1:47 am
- Cement makers Holcim, Lafarge create Swiss merger Updated: Apr-07-14 12:17 pm
- Roche to buy molecular diagnostics company IQuum Updated: Apr-07-14 3:35 am
GENEVA - In a surprise accord, Ukraine and Russia agreed Thursday on tentative steps to halt violence and calm tensions along their shared border after more than a month of Cold War-style military posturing triggered by Moscow's annexation of Crimea.
GENEVA - Here is the joint statement issued by the foreign ministers of the U.S., Russia, Ukraine and European Union after seven hours of talks Thursday in Geneva:
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - Sport's highest court has upheld appeals by six leading rhythmic gymnastics officials against their suspensions for alleged "irregularities" during coaching courses for judges.
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration is preparing to ratchet up sanctions on Russia and boost assistance for the Ukrainian military in the coming days, U.S. officials said Wednesday, as Ukraine struggles to contain a pro-Russian uprising in its eastern cities.
GENEVA - A senior U.S. official says high-stakes diplomatic meetings in Geneva on Thursday to try to ease burgeoning violence in eastern Ukraine will mark Kiev's final attempt to engage with Russia before the West hits Moscow with additional economic sanctions.
GENEVA - The United Nations and aid groups launched an appeal for $274 million Wednesday to help people who have fled the Central African Republic because of the sectarian conflict there, warning that the dire needs of hundreds of thousands of refugees can't be met with existing funds.
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - More than 100,000 members of an international gay rights group have sent messages to the IOC urging changes to ensure that future Olympic host countries do not have discriminatory laws on their books.
FRANKFURT, Germany - Swiss bank Credit Suisse says its net profit fell 34 percent in the first quarter, more than expected, as bond-market woes hurt earnings at its investment banking business.
HANOI, Vietnam - Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov says Russia is still planning to meet with Ukrainian officials at an international conference in Geneva on Thursday.
WASHINGTON - The State Department says the U.S. is eyeing a new round of sanctions against Russia over its actions in Ukraine, but any new move against Moscow is unlikely until after a diplomatic meeting later this week in Geneva.
MONACO - FIFA's medical chief is "really not happy" with drug-testing plans for the World Cup in Brazil because samples taken from players must be flown across the Atlantic for analysis at a laboratory in Switzerland, which could slow results.
GENEVA - Twenty-five years after making their first bid for membership, the Palestinians can join the Geneva Conventions governing the rules of war and military occupations, the Swiss government said Friday.
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - Four gymnastics officials have been banned for mistaken and biased judging at the 2013 world championships.
ZURICH - Mark Geiger and Jurgen Klinsmann are in similar spots as they prepare for the World Cup. Both need good opening matches if they want to make it to the knockout rounds.
GENEVA - Perhaps this is Switzerland's best chance to make an impression at the World Cup.
GENEVA - Switzerland coach Ottmar Hitzfeld plans to end his illustrious career in Brazil, ideally in July and not June.
GENEVA - Switzerland has built a reputation at recent tournaments as an underachiever making unlamented early exits. This young, hard-to-beat team can change that at the World Cup in Brazil.
PARIS - France will head to the World Cup as the favorite in Group E despite strong competition from a well-organized Switzerland coached by Ottmar Hitzfeld.
PAYERNE, Switzerland - The Swiss-made airplane built for the first round-the-world solar flight has wings longer than a Boeing 747 jumbo jet yet weighs only about as much as a large car.
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - Croatia defender Josip Simunic has challenged his World Cup ban at sport's highest court, and wants the FIFA sanction for leading fans in a pro-Nazi chant to be frozen during his appeal.
LONDON - From being jeered out of Liverpool to managing England at the World Cup, Roy Hodgson has enjoyed the most gratifying of career turnarounds.
MADRID - The Iberian peninsula's grip on the Europa League will loosen if Juventus and Basel can make good on first-leg victories and reach the semifinals of Europe's second-tier tournament.
GENEVA - Two of the world's largest suppliers of building materials announced plans for a "merger of equals" Monday that would create an industry giant with a combined 32 billion euros ($44 billion) in annual revenues.
GENEVA - Swiss drug maker Roche plans to buy IQuum, Inc., a U.S. company that specializes in molecular diagnostics and sample testing, in a deal worth up to $450 million.