- US to play Ghana, Portugal, Germany at World Cup Updated: Dec-06-13 9:46 pm
- What they said about the World Cup draw Updated: Dec-06-13 5:34 pm
- Amazon city is World Cup winner Updated: Dec-06-13 5:24 pm
- British jazz great Stan Tracey dies at 86 Updated: Dec-06-13 4:25 pm
- UK foreign secretary seeks to reassure Gulf allies Updated: Dec-06-13 3:21 pm
- UK 'Muslim Patrol' members jailed for harassment Updated: Dec-06-13 2:50 pm
- Mandela mourned as inspiration in many struggles Updated: Dec-06-13 2:24 pm
- Final suspect in Dutch art heist arrested Updated: Dec-06-13 1:50 pm
- Thousands in UK face another day of flooding Updated: Dec-06-13 11:59 am
- 'Harry Potter' stars up for theater awards Updated: Dec-06-13 11:59 am
- UK marine gets minimum 10 years for Afghan murder Updated: Dec-06-13 11:40 am
- Rio Ferdinand to work as TV pundit at World Cup Updated: Dec-06-13 6:14 am
- Mandela daughters ask that film's premiere go on Updated: Dec-05-13 10:01 pm
- 2 soccer players charged in fixing investigation Updated: Dec-05-13 8:12 pm
- UK government predicting surplus by decade's end Updated: Dec-05-13 3:29 pm
- UK in talks to help France with CAR logistics Updated: Dec-05-13 3:13 pm
- Nigella: I won't be 'bullied by lies' on drug use Updated: Dec-05-13 1:01 pm
- Accused killer of UK soldier describes attack Updated: Dec-05-13 11:49 am
- Court: forced C-section was medically justified Updated: Dec-05-13 8:52 am
- Suarez scores 4 goals for Liverpool Updated: Dec-04-13 8:36 pm
- Countries urged not to pay ransom to terrorists Updated: Dec-04-13 8:32 pm
- Suarez stars as top 4 all win in Premier League Updated: Dec-04-13 6:48 pm
- United concedes late to lose 1-0 to Everton Updated: Dec-04-13 6:47 pm
- City beats West Brom 3-2 to cure away problems Updated: Dec-04-13 6:43 pm
- Villa beats Southampton 3-2 in Premier League Updated: Dec-04-13 6:24 pm
The U.S. drew a daunting task for next year's World Cup: difficult opponents, tropical venues and a wearying 9,000-mile zigzag journey across Brazil.
COSTA DO SAUIPE, Brazil - Coaches and players were quick to react to Friday's World Cup draw. The following is a selection.
COSTA DO SAUIPE, Brazil - The Amazonian jungle city of Manaus was the big winner at the World Cup draw.
LONDON - British jazz pianist and composer Stan Tracey, who played with everyone from Sonny Rollins to Charlie Watts of the Rolling Stones in the course of a 70 year-career, has died at the age of 86.
MANAMA, Bahrain - Britain's top diplomat voiced his country's strong commitment to the security of the Gulf states on Friday, seeking to reassure wary Arab allies in the wake of last month's nuclear deal with their regional rival Iran.
LONDON - Three members of a self-styled "Muslim Patrol" in London who threatened strangers for holding hands, drinking alcohol and other behavior they deemed "un-Islamic" have been sentenced to jail.
Nelson Mandela led black South Africans in their struggle to throw off the yoke of white rule and then helped the entire nation heal the wounds of racial division.
BUCHAREST, Romania - British police have arrested the final suspect in the theft of paintings by Matisse, Picasso and Monet from a Dutch museum.
LONDON - Hundreds of people in Britain mopped up flooded homes on Friday after a powerful storm that scoured northern Europe with hurricane-force gusts kicked up the biggest tidal surge in 60 years, swamping stretches of shoreline.
LONDON - A British Royal Marine convicted of murdering a wounded Taliban insurgent was sentenced Friday to a minimum of 10 years in prison.
LONDON - Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand will assess his former England teammates' performances during the World Cup next year.
LONDON - Prince William and others attending the London premiere of a new film about Nelson Mandela were told of his death Thursday night as the closing credits rolled.
LONDON - Two players from the sixth tier of English soccer have been charged with conspiring to fix matches as part of an investigation into a suspected Singapore-based international betting syndicate.
LONDON - Austerity will remain in place in Britain for years to come, the government insisted Thursday even though the U.K. economy is growing faster than most of its peers.
LONDON - Britain is discussing offering logistical support to France for its military operation in the Central African Republic, officials said Thursday, an effort that could mirror U.K. assistance for a previous French intervention in Mali.
LONDON - Television cook and author Nigella Lawson on Thursday accused lawyers for two former assistants of treating her like a suspect rather than a witness, as she again denied allegations of heavy drug use.
LONDON - A man accused of murdering a British soldier on a London street says he attacked the first serviceman he spotted, saying "it was almost as if Allah had chosen him."
LONDON - A newly released court judgment says that doctors were medically justified in forcing a woman to have a cesarean section last year because it was in her best interests.
MANCHESTER, England - Luis Suarez scored four goals to lift Liverpool to a 5-1 victory over Norwich City on Wednesday.
UNITED NATIONS - Britain is urging the U.N. Security Council to adopt a resolution calling on all countries not to pay ransom to kidnappers who use the money to finance terrorist groups.
MANCHESTER, England - Luis Suarez's stunning quadruple for Liverpool capped a goal-laden night in the Premier League that saw the top four all win, but Manchester United lose 1-0 to Everton to be cut adrift in the title race.
MANCHESTER, England - Manchester United was cut adrift in the Premier League title race after losing 1-0 at home to Everton thanks to Bryan Oviedo's late strike at Old Trafford on Wednesday.
WEST BROMWICH, England - Yaya Toure scored twice as Manchester City found a cure to its problems away from home by beating West Bromwich Albion 3-2 in the Premier League on Wednesday.
SOUTHAMPTON, England - Fabian Delph scored the winning goal in the 80th minute to give Aston Villa a 3-2 win at Southampton, after the hosts had twice come from behind to level in an entertaining Premier League match.