- England's James DeGale wins IBF super middleweight title Updated: May-23-15 6:41 pm
BOSTON - James DeGale became the first British fighter to win an Olympic gold medal and a professional world title Saturday, unanimously outpointing Andre Dirrell at Boston University's Agganis Arena to take the vacant International Boxing Federation super middleweight title.
- Timeline of landmarks in Ireland's changing attitude to gays Updated: May-23-15 12:36 pm
DUBLIN - Gays in Ireland lived in the shadows for decades, lest they face ridicule, assault or even prison in Victorian times. Saturday's referendum result to legalize gay marriage represents a stunning triumph for gay rights activists following decades of struggle to gain greater rights and respect.
- Cannes hails premiere of a bloody, stylish 'Macbeth' Updated: May-23-15 7:01 am
- Michigan bag of cremated remains found on Scottish beach Updated: May-22-15 8:34 pm
BATTLE CREEK, Michigan - A newspaper says a bag of cremated remains handled by a company in southwestern Michigan was discovered on a beach in Scotland.
- Amid celebrity show offs, $30 million raised at AIDS gala Updated: May-22-15 2:42 pm
CAP D'ANTIBES, France - Amid celebrity schmoozing, glamorous fashions, musical performances and the frequent banging of the auction hammer, the French Riviera's annual star-filled amfAR gala brought in its expected share of drama - with celebrity invitees including Leonardo DiCaprio, Jake Gyllenhaal, Michael Fassbender, Marion Cotillard, Sienna Miller and Adrien Brody.
- UK tabloid reporter found guilty in bribery case Updated: May-22-15 1:16 pm
LONDON - A British tabloid reporter accused of paying police for news tips has been found guilty of aiding and abetting public office misconduct.
- Cameron: Tough times for EU ahead of UK membership vote Updated: May-22-15 12:41 pm
RIGA, Latvia - British Prime Minister David Cameron set off Friday on a whirlwind campaign to change the way the European Union is run, warning of a rough road ahead to achieve the reform needed to keep his country from leaving.
- Summer Olympic sports chief to Vizer: You don't represent us Updated: May-22-15 12:18 pm
LONDON - Marius Vizer's latest foray into IOC politics earned a blunt rebuke from a senior Olympic leader Friday, as more sports suspended ties with his umbrella body.
- US delegation to visit IOC next week for talks on Boston bid Updated: May-22-15 11:59 am
LONDON - Boston and U.S. Olympic leaders will travel to Switzerland next week to sound out the IOC about their struggling candidacy for the 2024 Summer Games amid a leadership shake-up at the top of the bid.
- Nazi-looted painting from Gurlitt art trove to go on sale Updated: May-22-15 11:56 am
LONDON - A painting that was seized by the Nazis and only recently returned to the Jewish owner's heirs is going on auction.
- Army removes WWII bomb near London's Wembley Stadium Updated: May-22-15 11:52 am
LONDON - British police say the army has safely removed an unexploded World War II bomb found near London's Wembley Stadium.
- Paul-Georges Ntep receives 1st call with France Updated: May-22-15 9:23 am
PARIS - Rennes forward Paul-Georges Ntep was called up for the first time by France on Friday for upcoming friendlies against Belgium and Albania.
- Bid to topple Blatter from FIFA rests with Jordanian prince Updated: May-22-15 9:02 am
LONDON - In soccer, the only certain winner seems to be Sepp Blatter.
- UK bomb maker sentenced to life for killing US soldier Updated: May-22-15 8:16 am
LONDON - A British man was sentenced Friday to life in prison for making a roadside bomb that killed a U.S. soldier in Iraq in 2007.
- US State Dept. employee faces cyberstalking, hacking charges Updated: May-21-15 6:47 pm
ATLANTA - A U.S. State Department employee is accused of sending threatening emails to college-aged women in the U.S. from his computer at the U.S. Embassy in London, authorities said.
- SportAccord's Vizer issues 20-point plan for talks with IOC Updated: May-21-15 2:07 pm
LONDON - As more sports cut ties with his umbrella association, SportAccord chief Marius Vizer issued a 20-point plan Thursday for discussions with the IOC - including prize money for Olympic athletes and a 50 percent stake for federations in the new Olympic television channel.
- UK's Cameron announces new plans as UK immigration rises Updated: May-21-15 12:22 pm
LONDON - Prime Minister David Cameron on Thursday announced plans to crack down on illegal immigration and tighten Britain's borders as new official figures showed a significant rise in the number of migrants.
- Previous FIFA Presidential Elections Updated: May-21-15 12:06 pm
ZURICH - Sepp Blatter would certainly argue that being president of FIFA is the best job in sports. Becoming FIFA president is one of the hardest.
- Hull and Newcastle fighting for survival on final day Updated: May-21-15 10:11 am
MANCHESTER, England - The Premier League is set for an afternoon of goodbyes on Sunday - to either Hull or Newcastle as the relegation places are decided and to two of English soccer's top midfielders.
- British man charged with trying to join al-Shabab in Somalia Updated: May-21-15 9:34 am
LONDON - A British man has been charged with making plans to travel to Somalia to link up with Islamic extremists there.
- Bleisure Bits: Whisky primer at Glasgow's Pot Still Updated: May-21-15 9:11 am
GLASGOW, Scotland - Wreathed in myth and steeped in tradition, the wild and wonderful world of scotch whisky can take decades to explore.
- Monaco, Marseille and Saint-Etienne fight for 3rd place Updated: May-21-15 8:56 am
MONACO - With the top two places already set, the only thing to be decided in the last round of the French league is which team will finish third and take the final Champions League spot.
- Austin completes remarkable rise to England squad Updated: May-21-15 8:38 am
LONDON - Charlie Austin completed his remarkable rise from bricklayer to the England squad in the space of six years when he was called up by his country for the first time on Thursday.
- Court awards some $1.8 million to phone hacking victims Updated: May-21-15 8:37 am
- UK jewel heist suspects charged, set for 1st court showing Updated: May-21-15 7:16 am
LONDON - Scotland Yard has charged eight suspects with conspiracy to burgle in the well-planned Easter weekend break-in at a safe-deposit box facility in London's famed Hatton Garden diamond district, and a fresh arrest was made.