- The Latest: Hungary accepts UK efforts to stop benefit abuse Updated: Feb-02-16 10:17 am
BRUSSELS - The Latest on negotiations on changes to EU law aimed at keeping Britain in the bloc (all times local):
- BP reports 91 percent plunge in fourth quarter earnings Updated: Feb-02-16 10:17 am
LONDON - BP's fourth-quarter earnings plunged 91 percent amid sharp declines in oil prices as the British energy company continued to make provision for the Deepwater Horizon disaster in the Gulf of Mexico and streamline operations.
- BBC secures rights to 2022, 2024 Olympics from Discovery Updated: Feb-02-16 9:57 am
LONDON - The BBC will continue to broadcast the Olympics through 2024 after reaching a deal Tuesday to sub-license the exclusive British television rights from Discovery Communications.
- As Europe grapples with migrant influx, benefits limited Updated: Feb-02-16 9:38 am
BERLIN - Germany is mulling taking away benefits from asylum-seekers if they refuse to try to learn the language and integrate; Denmark has just approved a measure to let police seize valuables from migrants to help cover their housing and food costs; and an Austrian province this week is expected to more than halve payments to many refugees.
- UK's Cameron hails Brussels proposals to keep Britain in EU Updated: Feb-02-16 9:14 am
LONDON - Proposals to change Britain's relationship with the European Union reflect "real progress," but more work must be done, British Prime Minister David Cameron said Tuesday.
- Source: Cyprus blocks 18 Syria-bound foreigners, 15 succeed Updated: Feb-02-16 4:51 am
NICOSIA, Cyprus - Authorities in Cyprus have in the last two years prevented 18 foreign nationals from heading to Syria and possibly joining the Islamic State Group through the ethnically divided island's breakaway Turkish Cypriot north, an official said Tuesday.
- Scholarships, tutoring to save 'lost generation' of Syrians Updated: Feb-02-16 1:59 am
ZARQA, Jordan - Until recently, Syrian refugee Eyad Zoulghena only had bad options.
- Interview: Infantino consults Platini during FIFA campaign Updated: Feb-01-16 6:58 pm
LONDON - Although banished from power in world football, Michel Platini remains a guiding voice for Gianni Infantino as the FIFA presidential campaign enters the final stretch.
- Transfer deadline day: Mid-ranking Everton, Stoke spend $45M Updated: Feb-01-16 6:57 pm
LONDON - The heaviest spending as European football's transfer window closed on Monday was not by traditional powers but mid-ranking English clubs Stoke and Everton collectively paying around $45 million on two players.
- The Latest: Stoke signs $26m Imbula in winter's biggest deal Updated: Feb-01-16 6:03 pm
LONDON - The Latest on European soccer transfer deadline day (all times local):
- A lot going wrong for Gary Neville, but not all his fault Updated: Feb-01-16 5:44 pm
MADRID - Gary Neville knew that coaching at a high level wasn't going to be easy. He certainly didn't expect to be struggling so badly so early.
- WHO declares global emergency over Zika virus spread Updated: Feb-01-16 5:24 pm
GENEVA - The World Health Organization declared a global emergency over the explosive spread of the Zika virus, which has been linked to birth defects in the Americas, calling it an "extraordinary event" that poses a public health threat to other parts of the world.
- Britain approves controversial gene-editing experiments Updated: Feb-01-16 3:42 pm
LONDON - In a landmark decision that some ethicists warned is a step down the path toward "designer babies," Britain gave scientists approval Monday to conduct gene-editing experiments on human embryos.
- AP News Guide: Facts about gene editing as Britain OKs study Updated: Feb-01-16 1:48 pm
WASHINGTON - Britain's decision to allow researchers to edit the genes of human embryos - not to create babies but to start unraveling the earliest stages of development - is raising new questions about the ethics of this hot new technology.
- UK-EU negotiations make 'good progress,' Tusk says Updated: Feb-01-16 1:25 pm
- Guardiola to become Man City manager, replacing Pellegrini Updated: Feb-01-16 1:09 pm
MANCHESTER, England - Pep Guardiola and Manchester City have long been considered a likely match: Soccer's most admired coach and a club with massive spending power seeking to become the dominant force in Europe.
- Ex-heavyweight champ Bruno wants boxing comeback at age 54 Updated: Feb-01-16 11:54 am
LONDON - Former world heavyweight champion Frank Bruno wants to make a return to competitive boxing at the age of 54.
- Academy Award-nominated UK actor Frank Finlay dies at 89 Updated: Feb-01-16 10:44 am
LONDON - British actor Frank Finlay, who was Academy Award-nominated for his work alongside Laurence Olivier in "Othello," has died aged 89.
- British woman who took toddler to join IS jailed for 6 years Updated: Feb-01-16 9:49 am
LONDON - A judge sentenced a British woman on Monday to six years in prison for going to Syria to live under the rule of the Islamic State group.
- John Terry to leave Chelsea at end of the season Updated: Feb-01-16 8:14 am
LONDON - Chelsea captain John Terry will leave the English Premier League champion at the end of the season after the club he has served since the age of 14 told him it would not be renewing his contract.
- Report: US and UK spied on Israeli drones for years Updated: Jan-29-16 5:31 am
JERUSALEM - U.S and British intelligence cracked the codes of Israeli drones operating in the Middle East and monitored their surveillance feeds for almost 20 years, according to documents leaked by an American whistleblower and published in international media on Friday.
- De Bruyne confirms 10 week layoff with injury Updated: Jan-28-16 4:50 pm
MANCHESTER, England - Manchester City midfielder Kevin De Bruyne says he'll be out for action for approximately 10 weeks after injuring his ankle and knee in Manchester City's League Cup semifinal win over Everton on Wednesday.
- Change in the air for Europe's chastened teams in 6 Nations Updated: Jan-28-16 3:20 pm
MANCHESTER, England - Northern-hemisphere rugby sank to a new low during the recent Rugby World Cup when Europe failed to get a single representative in the semifinals for the first time.
- Iran: European airlines set to resume flights to Tehran Updated: Jan-28-16 2:47 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Several European airlines aim to resume their flights to Iran following a landmark nuclear deal between Tehran and world powers, the state-owned IRAN daily reported on Thursday.
- 6 brokers cleared of market rate-rigging in UK Updated: Jan-28-16 1:17 pm
LONDON - A British court on Thursday cleared six brokers of trying to fix the benchmark interest rate known as Libor, the London interbank offered rate.