- Scientists worry about arms race in artificial intelligence Updated: Jul-28-15 7:28 am
LONDON - Scientists and tech experts - including Prof. Stephen Hawking and Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak - warned Tuesday of a global arms race with weapons using artificial intelligence.
- Litvinenko judge slams 'charade' of suspect's testimony bid Updated: Jul-28-15 7:23 am
LONDON - The British judge investigating the radioactive poisoning death of former Russian agent Alexander Litvinenko is accusing Russian authorities or a key suspect of interfering with his inquiry.
- China stocks fall for second day, Europe rises Updated: Jul-28-15 7:02 am
BEIJING - Chinese stocks fell further Tuesday after suffering their biggest drop in eight years the previous day while most other Asian markets declined and Europe rose.
- British peer quits House of Lords over cocaine-and-sex sting Updated: Jul-28-15 6:44 am
LONDON - A member of the upper chamber of Britain's Parliament quit Tuesday, apologizing for causing "pain and embarrassment" after he was filmed allegedly snorting cocaine during sessions with sex workers.
- Britain's economy grows 0.7 percent in second quarter Updated: Jul-28-15 5:25 am
LONDON - Britain's economy picked up speed in the second quarter of 2015, when it expanded by 0.7 percent compared with the previous three-month period.
- Energy company BP slides to loss in 2nd quarter Updated: Jul-28-15 4:13 am
LONDON - BP reported a second-quarter loss Tuesday after the London-based oil company set aside another $10.8 billion to cover the cost of the Deepwater Horizon accident.
- US, Turkey plan for 'safe zone' free of IS in northern Syria Updated: Jul-27-15 11:34 pm
BEIRUT - Turkey and the United States have agreed on the outlines of a plan to rout the Islamic State group from a strip of Syrian territory along the Turkish border - a plan that opens the possibility of a safe haven for tens of thousands of displaced Syrians but one that also sets up a potential conflict with U.S.-backed Syrian Kurdish forces in the area.
- Fugitive priest turns himself in to British police Updated: Jul-27-15 1:28 pm
LONDON - A priest who fled to mainland Europe after being convicted of stealing church funds has returned to England and turned himself in to authorities, British police said Monday.
- Stephen Hawking fields questions on artificial intelligence Updated: Jul-27-15 1:04 pm
LONDON - Have a question about artificial intelligence and think theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking is the man to ask?
- New York Red Bulls sign Shaun Wright-Phillips Updated: Jul-27-15 11:58 am
LONDON - The New York Red Bulls have completed the signing of former Manchester City and Chelsea midfielder Shaun Wright-Phillips on a free transfer.
- Aston Villa signs forward Jordan Ayew from Lorient Updated: Jul-27-15 10:18 am
BIRMINGHAM, England - Aston Villa has signed Ghana international striker Jordan Ayew from French club Lorient on a five-year deal.
- Italian group confirms talks with Economist Group Updated: Jul-27-15 6:35 am
LONDON - An Italian investment group owned by the Agnelli family has confirmed it is in talks with Pearson PLC to increase its stake in the Economist Group.
- Police: Man, 74, accidentally drives car into Belfast Harbor Updated: Jul-27-15 6:19 am
BELFAST, Maine - A New York man is OK after accidentally driving his car into Belfast Harbor.
- Turkish troops target Kurdish fighters in northern Syria Updated: Jul-27-15 5:34 am
BEIRUT - Turkish troops have shelled a Syrian village near the border, targeting Kurdish fighters who have been battling the Islamic State group with the aid of U.S.-led airstrikes, Syria's main Kurdish militia and an activist group said Monday.
- Man United signs Argentina 'keeper Romero on free transfer Updated: Jul-27-15 4:39 am
MANCHESTER, England - Manchester United has signed Argentina goalkeeper Sergio Romero to a three-year deal on a free transfer.
- Jason Day rallies to win Canadian Open Updated: Jul-26-15 8:22 pm
OAKVILLE, Ontario - Jason Day made himself right at home in the Canadian Open - at David Hearn's expense.
- Ainslie wins first America's Cup World Series stop of 2015 Updated: Jul-26-15 5:22 pm
PORTSMOUTH, England - The hometown Land Rover Ben Ainslie Racing has been declared the winner of the first America's Cup World Series of the year after Sunday's racing was canceled because of gale-force wind.
- The Latest: Tour chief: Flat stage key in battle of climbers Updated: Jul-26-15 4:45 pm
PARIS - The Latest from the Tour de France (all times local):
- Chris Froome wins 2nd Tour de France Updated: Jul-26-15 4:06 pm
PARIS - All for one, one for all, and all bathed in yellow.
- Dawson beats Langer and Montgomerie to Senior Open title Updated: Jul-26-15 3:45 pm
SUNNINGDALE, England - American Marco Dawson held off the twin challenge of super stars Bernhard Langer and Colin Montgomerie over the final nine holes to claim victory in a thrilling climax to the Senior British Open Championship on Sunday.
- Salmond says another Scottish independence vote 'inevitable' Updated: Jul-26-15 9:25 am
LONDON - The former first minister of Scotland says a second referendum on Scottish independence is "inevitable."
- Paper: App tracking Prince William flights poses terror risk Updated: Jul-26-15 8:23 am
LONDON - A British newspaper said it has uncovered a major royal security breach by using an inexpensive app to track Prince William's air rescue ambulance while it is in the air.
- The Latest: Conte says facing Spain 'very stimulating' Updated: Jul-25-15 5:51 pm
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - The latest on Saturday's 2018 World Cup qualifying draw (times are local):
- Coe promises financial dividend if elected IAAF president Updated: Jul-24-15 5:05 pm
LONDON - Seb Coe has offered a financial dividend of $22 million if he is elected president of the International Association of Athletics Federations next month.
- British teen accused of plot to commit college massacre Updated: Jul-24-15 12:25 pm
LONDON - A British teenager planned a gun and bomb attack on a college that had kicked him out for bad behavior, a prosecutor said Friday.