- US national security adviser in China ahead of Xi's US trip Updated: Aug-28-15 3:04 am
BEIJING - The U.S. national security adviser held talks Friday in Beijing to help lay the groundwork for Chinese President Xi Jinping's visit to Washington next month.
- Asian stocks extend global rally on upbeat US growth data Updated: Aug-28-15 2:28 am
HONG KONG - Asian stocks rose Friday as upbeat U.S. economic data lifted investors' spirits following days of stomach-churning turbulence sparked by a heavy sell-off in China.
- China gets 1-2 in sporting finish to 20K walk at worlds Updated: Aug-28-15 1:29 am
BEIJING - With China's first gold of the world championships virtually assured, the only thing for teammates Liu Hong and Lu Xiuzhi to decide was who should win it.
- Eaton is back, and immediately he leads decathlon at worlds Updated: Aug-28-15 1:11 am
BEIJING - After a two-year absence, Ashton Eaton needed only 10.23 seconds to establish himself again as the favorite to win the decathlon at the world championships.
- The Latest: Eaton leads decathlon after 3 events at worlds Updated: Aug-28-15 1:05 am
BEIJING - The Latest from the IAAF world championships (all times local):
- US group urges China to open insurance, securities markets Updated: Aug-28-15 1:01 am
BEIJING - An American business group urged China on Friday to allow more access to its insurance and other service industries, saying foreign skills could help develop its volatile stock markets and cope with disasters like the recent chemical explosion in Tianjin.
- Rubio says strength is only way to maintain peace with China Updated: Aug-27-15 8:20 pm
MIAMI - Republican presidential candidate Marco Rubio says the United States must bolster its military, push for more free trade and hold China far more accountable on human rights.
- The US economy's second quarter went from solid to stellar Updated: Aug-27-15 6:49 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. economy staged a far bigger rebound last quarter than first thought, outpacing the rest of the developed world and bolstering confidence that it will remain sturdy in coming months despite global headwinds.
- Freeport-McMoRan cuts more spending; Icahn discloses stake Updated: Aug-27-15 5:43 pm
PHOENIX - Activist investor Carl Icahn said late Thursday that he has taken an 8.5-percent stake in Freeport-McMoRan, just hours after the mining company announced cost cuts and lower spending in response to declining copper prices and soft economic conditions worldwide.
- A Q&A with Wall Street's top psychiatrist on market turmoil Updated: Aug-27-15 4:12 pm
NEW YORK - When it seems like the stock market has lost its mind, big banks and investment firms often turn to one particular psychiatrist: Richard Peterson, CEO of MarketPsych, a firm that applies research from behavioral science to financial markets.
- Ashton Eaton begins defense of decathlon title at worlds Updated: Aug-27-15 3:15 pm
BEIJING - Ashton Eaton is in good shape, maybe even his best shape in quite a while. Mentally, he's as strong as ever, too.
- Wlodarczyk's record win gives Poland hammer throw sweep Updated: Aug-27-15 12:42 pm
BEIJING - The more Anita Wlodarczyk has accomplished in her hammer throwing career, the more she has learned to keep her celebrations relatively restrained.
- Sudan says al-Bashir to visit China; invited to WWII parade Updated: Aug-27-15 11:19 am
UNITED NATIONS - Sudan says President Omar al-Bashir will soon travel to China.
- Snyder: Talking to China important despite GOP critics Updated: Aug-27-15 10:48 am
DETROIT - Republican Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder said Thursday it's important to talk trade with Chinese officials despite some GOP presidential hopefuls blaming China for the recent tumble of U.S. stocks.
- Thai court issues warrant for suspect in second bomb blast Updated: Aug-27-15 10:47 am
BANGKOK - A Thai court on Thursday issued an arrest warrant for an unnamed suspect in a riverside blast that occurred a day after the bombing of a shrine in central Bangkok which killed 20 people.
- Russia to launch Moscow-Beijing rally to rival Dakar Updated: Aug-27-15 10:42 am
MOSCOW - Russia's state-owned gas company Gazprom has thrown its weight behind a rival to the renowned Dakar Rally as Russia flexes its muscles in the world of motorsport.
- Sinkhole in China swallows 5 people Updated: Aug-27-15 8:37 am
BEIJING - A sinkhole in a northeastern Chinese city swallowed five people in a dramatic scene that was captured on security video and shared widely on Chinese social media.
- China detains 11 over deadly warehouse explosion Updated: Aug-27-15 6:56 am
BEIJING - Chinese prosecutors have detained 11 government officials and company executives over a massive warehouse explosion that killed at least 145 people in the country's worst industrial disaster in recent years.
- China jails 45 on terror-related charges in Xinjiang region Updated: Aug-27-15 6:46 am
BEIJING - Chinese courts in the restive, western region of Xinjiang have jailed 45 people on terrorism-related charges, including 18 convicted of organizing illegal border crossings, state-run media reported Thursday.
- Christian lawyer taken away in China region removing crosses Updated: Aug-27-15 4:46 am
BEIJING - A well-known Chinese Christian lawyer had been out of contact for almost two days after being taken away by government workers in an eastern province where local authorities are under a deadline to remove the Christian symbol, the cross, from church roofs, his colleague said Thursday.
- China's Dalian Wanda buys Ironman triathlon brand for $650M Updated: Aug-26-15 11:52 pm
HONG KONG - Chinese property and cinema giant Dalian Wanda Group said Thursday that it is buying the company that owns the Ironman triathlon brand and race series as it forecasts explosive demand in China for the sport.
- Kenya's historic win in javelin overshadowed by doping tests Updated: Aug-26-15 1:30 pm
BEIJING - Kenya made history at the world championships on Wednesday when javelin thrower Julius Yego won the first gold medal in a field event for a country renowned as a cradle of distance running.
- Silva casts off self-doubts to win pole vault gold at worlds Updated: Aug-26-15 1:08 pm
BEIJING - With a strange choice for background music blaring around the Bird's Nest, Yarisley Silva attempted to clear 5.01 meters in the pole vault shortly after winning her first gold medal at the world championships.
- For Pacific athletes, getting to worlds is what matters most Updated: Aug-26-15 11:56 am
BEIJING - Sprinter Beouch Ngirchongor wakes up every morning at 5 a.m. to train for an hour before going to his job as a carpenter in the Northern Mariana Islands.
- 2 Kenyan runners test positive for doping at worlds Updated: Aug-26-15 9:24 am
BEIJING - Two Kenyan runners have tested positive for doping at the world championships and have been provisionally suspended.