- Kerry to push Malaysia on human trafficking during visit Updated: Jul-31-15 6:55 pm
WASHINGTON - Secretary of State John Kerry will push Malaysia to redouble its efforts against human trafficking during an upcoming visit for regional security talks, a senior State Department official said Friday.
- Hopes high wing flap will shed light on Flight 370 mystery Updated: Jul-31-15 1:37 pm
SAINT-ANDRE, Reunion - Under a microscope and expert eyes, the wing fragment that washed up on the beach of this volcanic island could yield clues not just to its path through the Indian Ocean, but also to what happened to the airplane it belonged to.
- Watchdog groups quick to criticize IOC over Beijing in 2022 Updated: Jul-31-15 1:32 pm
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The Beijing bid delegation had no sooner finished their congratulatory hugs and handshakes after being awarded the 2022 Winter Olympics than criticism from human rights groups over the IOC's decision began to pour in.
- WTO rules against China in specialty steel dispute Updated: Jul-31-15 1:06 pm
WASHINGTON - The World Trade Organization says China broke global trade rules by failing to comply with an earlier WTO ruling and continuing to impose duties on specialty steel imports.
- Back to Beijing for 2nd Olympics in 14 years Updated: Jul-31-15 10:13 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Throughout more than 120 years of Olympic history, no city has hosted both the winter and summer games. Now, Beijing will be the first do it - and in the span of just 14 years.
- Technical issues force 2 votes for 2022 Winter Olympics Updated: Jul-31-15 10:11 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The vote to decide the 2022 Winter Olympics host city should have taken about 10 minutes using tablet-like electronic devices. Instead, a technical glitch left 85 voting members of the International Olympic Committee using paper ballots to ultimately give Beijing the nod.
- Muted reaction in Almaty as Kazakh city's Olympic bid fails Updated: Jul-31-15 8:30 am
ALMATY, Kazakhstan - Within minutes of the announcement that Almaty's bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympics had failed, it was almost as if it had never happened.
- Beijing celebrates winning the 2022 Winter Olympics Updated: Jul-31-15 8:15 am
BEIJING - Lion dancers swayed and confetti canons erupted Friday as news came that Beijing would become the first city to host both the summer and winter Olympics.
- Italian anti-death penalty group honors Pope Francis Updated: Jul-31-15 6:35 am
ROME - An Italian anti-death penalty group has honored Pope Francis with the prize "Abolitionist of the Year" for his strong position against the death penalty and other forms of "inhumane and degrading" punishments.
- Student protesters sit-in at Taiwan Education Ministry Updated: Jul-31-15 4:35 am
TAIPEI, Taiwan - Dozens of students launched a sit-in Friday at Taiwan's Education Ministry demanding that officials take responsibility for a student leader who killed himself in an apparent protest over curriculum changes that critics say overemphasize China's ties to the island.
- Chinese vice premier, Kazakh prime minister head delegations Updated: Jul-31-15 12:00 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Kazakhstan Prime Minister Karim Massimov will head the Almaty delegation and Chinese Vice Premier Liu Yandong will lead the Beijing team in the final presentations to the IOC ahead of the vote for the 2022 Winter Olympics.
- Former top Chinese general suspected of corruption Updated: Jul-30-15 10:50 pm
BEIJING - China has expelled a former top general from the ruling Communist Party over corruption accusations as President Xi Jinping's campaign to root out graft in the government and military churns onward.
- Britain limits Ai Weiwei's visit due to alleged conviction Updated: Jul-30-15 2:51 pm
BEIJING - Britain has denied Chinese dissident artist Ai Weiwei a six-month business visa to attend a London exhibition of his work, saying he failed to disclose that he has a criminal conviction - a claim that the artist and his attorney dispute.
- Real Madrid beats AC Milan 10-9 on penalties in China Updated: Jul-30-15 11:09 am
- For North Korea, Iran-style nuclear deal not an option Updated: Jul-30-15 7:01 am
PYONGYANG, North Korea - If any hopes have been raised that the progress between the United States and Iran to halt Tehran's development of nuclear weapons could bring change in Pyongyang, North Korea has gone out of its way to thwart them.
- Myanmar pardons China loggers among nearly 7,000 prisoners Updated: Jul-30-15 6:56 am
YANGON, Myanmar - More than 150 Chinese workers sentenced to life in prison for illegal logging were freed in Myanmar on Thursday under a massive presidential pardon that included nearly 7,000 prisoners.
- Nephew of blind activist Chen released from China prison Updated: Jul-30-15 6:23 am
BEIJING - The nephew of lawyer and blind activist Chen Guangcheng has been released from prison after serving a three-year, three-month sentence widely seen as retribution for his uncle's daring escape from house arrest.
- Relatives torn over possible 1st debris from missing MH370 Updated: Jul-30-15 5:25 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Jacquita Gomes is torn about whether to believe that plane debris found more than 16 months after the mysterious disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 is the first concrete evidence that her husband is truly gone.
- Wynn Resorts profit drops 72 percent in 2nd quarter Updated: Jul-29-15 7:28 pm
LAS VEGAS - Wynn Resorts Ltd.'s profit fell 72 percent in the second quarter, stymied by an on-going decline in the Asian gambling enclave of Macau and fewer high-roller Chinese baccarat players in Las Vegas.
- Japan: Militarized islands would expand China influence Updated: Jul-29-15 6:36 pm
WASHINGTON - Japan's top naval officer says the entire South China Sea could fall under China's military sphere of influence if it uses the artificial islands it has built there for military purposes.
- Move could be in store for Amarillo's Big Texan Steak Ranch Updated: Jul-29-15 6:14 pm
AMARILLO, Texas - The Lee brothers of The Big Texan Steak Ranch are weighing a decision much heavier than the 72-ounce steak for which their family tourism empire has become known.
- UN: Expect 11.2 billion population by the end of the century Updated: Jul-29-15 3:42 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Move over: The world's population is expected to reach 8.5 billion by 2030 and 9.7 billion in 2050, a new United Nations report says. And there should be 11.2 billion people on Earth by the end of this century.
- Charges dropped against Chinese woman in trade secrets case Updated: Jul-29-15 2:40 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A judge has dismissed charges against the wife of a Chinese billionaire who was accused of conspiring to steal trade secrets from U.S. seed companies.
- Britain wins new team diving event at world championships Updated: Jul-29-15 2:23 pm
KAZAN, Russia - Tom Daley and Rebecca Gallantree of Britain won the new team diving event at the world championships.
- IMF's Lagarde: World economy fragile, faces downside risks Updated: Jul-29-15 11:13 am
WASHINGTON - International Monetary Fund chief Christine Lagarde says the world economy is recovering but fragile and "faces some downside risks."