- China's army plays down South China Sea island-building Updated: May-26-15 2:49 pm
BEIJING - China's military on Tuesday compared its controversial island-building in the South China Sea to ordinary construction such as road-building going on elsewhere in the country, trying to deflect criticism over an issue seen as inflaming tensions in the region.
- Taiwan proposes plan to ease South China Sea tensions Updated: May-26-15 1:04 am
TAIPEI, Taiwan - Taiwan's President Ma Ying-jeou laid out a plan Tuesday to ease tensions in a vast, resource-rich Asian ocean where China has chafed against its neighbors by expanding islets with landfill to solidify its claims in the region.
- China-Taiwan talks seek to maintain momentum for closer ties Updated: May-23-15 8:55 am
TAIPEI, Taiwan - Negotiators from Taiwan and China met Saturday for talks in an attempt to maintain momentum for the forging of closer ties in the face of a skeptical Taiwanese public.
- Commerce RI, state agencies to host trip to Asia Updated: May-21-15 3:02 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - State agency officials are heading east to help Rhode Island companies better understand Asia's business markets.
- Japan, US paired in 1st round of Premier12 baseball event Updated: May-20-15 12:39 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - Co-host and top-ranked Japan has been grouped with the United States in the inaugural Premier12 baseball tournament, which features the top 12 countries in the World Baseball Softball Confederation's rankings.
- Principal on leave after taking student to Taiwan Updated: May-19-15 10:10 am
WATERBURY, Connecticut - A Connecticut elementary school principal is on paid leave while officials investigate a trip he took with a student to Taiwan.
- In China, Taiwan party leader calls for more global access Updated: May-04-15 1:40 pm
BEIJING - The head of Taiwan's ruling Nationalist Party called for more chances for the island to participate in international organizations after a meeting Monday with Chinese President Xi Jinping, whose government views the territory as a renegade province.