- Communism better than democracy, says Vietnam party boss Updated: Jan-28-16 5:35 am
HANOI, Vietnam - One-party rule in communist Vietnam is a far better alternative to authoritarianism disguised as democracy, the 71-year-old ideologue who was re-elected as party chief and consequently the country's leader said Thursday.
- Private business hopes for bigger role in Vietnam economy Updated: Jan-28-16 12:53 am
BAT TRANG, Vietnam - After a decade of uneven progress, foreign and local businesses hope the reshuffled leadership of Vietnam's ruling Communist Party will double down on modernizing an economy dominated by state companies.
- Longtime rivals: A look at complex Vietnam-China ties Updated: Jan-24-16 8:03 pm
BEIJING - Divided opinions within Vietnam's Communist Party on how to relate to giant neighbor and one-time ally China are among key factors in play at an eight-day congress to choose new leadership. A look at the countries' shared history and some of the most recent ups and downs in relations.
- Vietnam demands that China remove oil rig Updated: Jan-20-16 6:06 am
HANOI, Vietnam - Vietnam said China has moved an oil rig into disputed waters in the South China Sea, in a possible repeat of a 2014 stand-off between the communist neighbors.
- In Vietnam, people have virtually no say in choosing leaders Updated: Jan-20-16 5:19 am
HANOI, Vietnam - Vietnam's Communist Party will hold its 12th congress Jan. 21-28 to elect a new set of leaders for the next five years. Here's a look at how the process works.
- Vietnam accuses China of threatening civilian air traffic Updated: Jan-13-16 6:21 am
HANOI, Vietnam - Vietnam has accused China of threatening safety of civilian flights over the disputed South China Sea by failing to properly inform its aviation authorities of recent test flights to a man-made island claimed by both Beijing and Hanoi.
- Vietnam court sentences Canadian to 4 years over child abuse Updated: Jan-13-16 5:01 am
HANOI, Vietnam - A Vietnamese court sentenced a Canadian man to four years in jail Wednesday after finding him guilty of sexually abusing four homeless teenage boys.