- Rhode Island schools take in Central American migrants Updated: May-02-16 3:12 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - One of Murkje Dekoe's students was pregnant and spent her weekends working long hours in a cranberry bog. Others spent nights toiling in factories and high-end restaurants.
- Rhode Island Foundation awards community-building grants Updated: Apr-30-16 1:48 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island Foundation has awarded $500,000 in grants for local community-building projects.
- Newport Festivals Foundation takes over BridgeFest Updated: Apr-30-16 9:45 am
NEWPORT, Rhode Island - The foundation that runs the Newport jazz and folk festivals is taking control of a local music festival that runs in the week between the two landmark events.
- Longtime executive editor to leave The Newport Daily News Updated: Apr-26-16 2:57 pm
NEWPORT, Rhode Island - Executive editor Sheila L. Mullowney has announced she's leaving The Newport Daily News after 15 years at the helm.
- Officials look to revive Providence-Newport ferry service Updated: Apr-20-16 4:36 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island Department of Transportation officials are interested in bringing back a daily ferry service that would link Providence to Newport.
- State police nearing end of prep school sex abuse probe Updated: Apr-13-16 5:45 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island State Police say they're nearing the end of an investigation into dozens of allegations of sexual abuse at an elite Rhode Island boarding school, although they don't have a timetable for when it will be completed.
- NOAA research vessel to make Newport permanent home Updated: Apr-12-16 4:51 pm
NEWPORT, Rhode Island - A $54 million National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association fisheries research vessel will make its permanent home in Newport.
- Bombing survivor will speak to Providence College graduates Updated: Apr-11-16 11:28 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A survivor of the Boston Marathon bombings has been invited to deliver the commencement address at Providence College.
- Tennis Hall of Fame expels Bob Hewitt, convicted of rape Updated: Apr-06-16 12:48 pm
NEWPORT, Rhode Island - In an unprecedented step, the International Tennis Hall of Fame has expelled Grand Slam doubles champion Bob Hewitt, who was convicted in South Africa last year of rape and sexual assault.
- Lawmakers take on bill inspired by marathon bombing survivor Updated: Apr-05-16 6:37 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island lawmakers inspired by a resident who lost a leg in the Boston Marathon bombings are moving forward on legislation to make victims of terrorist attacks eligible for compensation even if the attack happened outside the state.
- The Latest: Bill inspired by bombing survivor moves forward Updated: Apr-05-16 6:18 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Latest on Rhode Island's legislation to compensate victims of terrorist attacks (all times local):