- China to snub arbitration hearing on feud with Philippines Updated: Jul-06-15 8:46 am
MANILA, Philippines - China is standing pat on its decision to reject arbitration by an international tribunal that will begin formal hearings this week to resolve a long-seething feud between Beijing and Manila over the South China Sea, the Chinese ambassador to Manila said Monday.
- Image of Asia: Wishing for a bull market in Beijing Updated: Jul-06-15 7:53 am
In this photo by Andy Wong, a man touches a bull statue on display outside a bank in Beijing, where the financial district has several statues investors see as good luck charms. The Shanghai stock market has tumbled by 27 percent from its June 12 peak, although its index edged up 2.4 percent on Monday following government actions to stem the plunge. Small investors who have piled up into China's stock market since earlier this year are seeing their investments shrinking and hoping for a market rebound.
- Chinese small investors look for way out of stocks Updated: Jul-06-15 6:35 am
BEIJING - Shares in big state companies soared Monday after promises of government action to halt a slide in Chinese stock prices but many others sank as jittery small investors tried to cut their losses.
- US, wooing Vietnam, readies red carpet for communist chief Updated: Jul-05-15 1:10 am
HANOI, Vietnam - Vietnamese Communist Party chief Nguyen Phu Trong doesn't hold an official government post, but it's not surprising that he'll meet with President Barack Obama on his visit to the United States this week. He is the de-facto top leader of his country.
- China expresses displeasure with Turkey accepting Uighurs Updated: Jul-03-15 9:14 am
BEIJING - Beijing expressed displeasure with Turkey on Friday for accepting 173 ethnic Uighurs who fled China.
- Beijing says its air pollution better in first half of 2015 Updated: Jul-03-15 7:43 am
BEIJING - Air quality in Beijing, notorious for its smoggy sky, improved during the first six months of 2015, the city government said.
- China reduces planned IPOs for July after market turmoil Updated: Jul-03-15 7:34 am
BEIJING - China cut the number of initial public offerings planned this month by two-thirds on Friday, adding to frantic efforts to shore up plunging stock prices.
- US official: China, US working to end ivory trade Updated: Jul-03-15 7:01 am
BEIJING - The United States and China want to increase cooperation in fighting wildlife trafficking and are working to end commercial ivory trading, a U.S. Cabinet secretary said Friday.
- EU leaders unlikely to attend Chinese military parade Updated: Jul-03-15 5:26 am
BEIJING - Top officials from the European Union probably won't attend a Chinese military parade marking the anniversary of the end of World War II in Asia, the organization's ambassador to Beijing said Friday, amid uneasiness about such displays of armed might in the tense region.
- Asafa Powell likes flying under radar to world championships Updated: Jul-02-15 12:12 pm
PARIS - Offered a glass of water in a sweltering Parisian heat wave, Asafa Powell shook his head, preferring the risk of thirst.
- Monsters mix with the Great Wall in Matt Damon US-China film Updated: Jul-02-15 7:32 am
BEIJING - Matt Damon, one of China's favorite Hollywood stars, said Thursday he was overwhelmed at the fans turning up at his hotel in China - not for him but for an ex-boy band singer who also appears in a Sino-Hollywood fantasy adventure movie.
- China gay couple holds informal marriage to push for union Updated: Jul-02-15 6:22 am
BEIJING - A prominent Chinese lesbian couple held a simple ceremony Thursday to announce their informal marriage, in their latest effort to push for the legalization of same-sex unions in China.
- Turnout slim as thousands in Hong Kong rally for democracy Updated: Jul-01-15 11:46 am
HONG KONG - Tens of thousands of Hong Kongers took to the streets Wednesday to renew their call for full democracy but the turnout was noticeably lower than in recent years, reflecting an impasse after a year of bitter battles over political reform.
- China scrambles to reassure jittery stock traders Updated: Jul-01-15 10:55 am
BEIJING - Chinese authorities are scrambling to reassure jittery investors after soaring stock markets plunged, threatening to set back economic reform plans.
- China says concerned over Turkish religious complaints Updated: Jul-01-15 6:50 am
BEIJING - China expressed its displeasure Wednesday with Turkey's complaints about restrictions on worship and fasting by minority Chinese Uighur Muslims during the holy month of Ramadan.
- New Chinese law reinforces government control of cyberspace Updated: Jul-01-15 6:28 am
BEIJING - China's legislature passed sweeping legislation on Wednesday that reinforces government controls over cyberspace, as the nation's leaders try to address what they see as growing threats to Chinese networks and national security.
- World Bank urges China to embrace basic financial reforms Updated: Jul-01-15 3:19 am
BEIJING - China needs fundamental reform of its state-dominated financial system to keep economic growth on track, the World Bank said Wednesday.
- China says probe of FIBA official won't affect Olympic bid Updated: Jun-30-15 11:52 am
BEIJING - An official says Beijing's 2022 Winter Olympic bid won't be affected by the investigation of a Chinese member of basketball's international governing body for possible corruption.
- Governments sign pact to create Chinese-led Asian bank Updated: Jun-29-15 4:40 pm
BEIJING - Envoys of governments that plan to join a Chinese-led Asian bank endorsed a structure Monday that gives Beijing the biggest voting stake at the start but no veto power.
- Gatlin & Co. ready to face Bolt at worlds Updated: Jun-29-15 4:08 pm
EUGENE, Oregon - Justin Gatlin is still blazing fast at 33 years old. Same with Tyson Gay at 32 and Wallace Spearmon at 30.
- Former Coach recalls first Chinese NHL draft Song Andong Updated: Jun-29-15 7:38 am
BEIJING - Song Andong made sports history last week as the first Chinese player selected in the NHL draft. To his old coach, though, he's just a nice kid who keeps his head and shows the proper respect.
- Gatlin cruises to 200 title with top time ever at nationals Updated: Jun-29-15 3:12 am
EUGENE, Oregon - Justin Gatlin just couldn't help himself. He pointed at the clock as he crossed the line, just to make sure no one missed his splendid time.
- Andong Song becomes 1st Chinese player taken in NHL draft Updated: Jun-27-15 2:54 pm
SUNRISE, Florida - For the first time, a Chinese player has been selected in the NHL draft.
- China makes 4th recent cut in interest rate to boost economy Updated: Jun-27-15 7:46 am
BEIJING - China's central bank announced Saturday the fourth round of interest cuts in seven months and lower deposit-reserve ratios for some banks to lend to small and rural businesses, as Beijing tries to shore up the country's sluggish economy.
- China lashes out at US racial bias in human rights report Updated: Jun-26-15 1:37 am
BEIJING - Racial discrimination and police abuses are rife in the United States, China's Cabinet said Friday, in a report intended as a counterpoint to U.S. criticisms of Beijing's own human rights record.