- Trial over execution drug begins in Helena Updated: Sep-02-15 10:37 am
HELENA, Montana - A trial is set to get under way over whether a drug Montana uses to execute condemned prisoners could cause cruel and unusual punishment.
- Court rejects appeal for full hearing on contribution limits Updated: Sep-01-15 5:17 pm
HELENA, Montana - A federal court has rejected Montana's request to rehear its defense of state campaign contribution limits.
- Helena school attendance lags behind state average Updated: Sep-01-15 5:35 am
HELENA, Montana - Student attendance in Helena Public Schools is below the state average and below the level that education officials say they consider to be a red flag.
- Helena girl killed in 3-vehicle crash north of city Updated: Aug-28-15 4:53 pm
HELENA, Montana - A 17-year-old Helena girl was killed and three other people were injured in a three-vehicle crash north of the city.
- Helena man accused of arson pleads not guilty Updated: Aug-28-15 12:12 pm
HELENA, Montana - A Helena man accused of setting fire to the Habitat for Humanity Restore in July has pleaded not guilty to arson charges.
- Helena man pleads not guilty in child's death Updated: Aug-27-15 4:13 pm
HELENA, Montana - A 25-year-old Helena man has pleaded not guilty to deliberate homicide in the death of his girlfriend's 2-year-old daughter.
- Montana Editorial Roundup Updated: Aug-26-15 7:22 pm
The Billings Gazette, Aug. 21, on health coverage for Montanans:
- 1 dies in collision between motorcycle, truck in west Helena Updated: Aug-25-15 5:43 pm
HELENA, Montana - The Montana Highway Patrol is investigating a fiery collision between a motorcycle and pickup truck that killed the driver of the motorcycle.
- Authorities identify men killed in plane crash Updated: Aug-21-15 1:52 pm
HELENA, Montana - Officials in Broadwater County have released the names of the two men killed in an airplane crash northeast of Helena.
- 2 men killed in small plane crash in Big Belt Mountains Updated: Aug-20-15 8:56 pm
HELENA, Montana - Authorities say two men were killed in a small plane crash in the Big Belt Mountains just northeast of Canyon Ferry Lake.
- Hospitals donate $80,000 to shaken baby prevention program Updated: Aug-20-15 7:38 pm
HELENA, Montana - Hospitals around the state are donating more than $80,000 to Healthy Mothers Healthy Babies so the organization can continue an education program aimed at preventing shaken baby injuries and deaths after a state board decided not to renew its funding.
- State officials, most commenters confident in Medicaid plan Updated: Aug-20-15 6:59 pm
HELENA, Montana - Montana health officials are hearing from people in public meetings this week about the state's plan to expand Medicaid.
- Grizzly bears kill more Montana livestock than in all 2014 Updated: Aug-18-15 6:25 pm
HELENA, Montana - Growing numbers of grizzly bears venturing east from the Rocky Mountains are attacking more domestic cattle and sheep.
- Brewers minor leaguer says he's gay; MLB lauds his courage Updated: Aug-16-15 10:58 pm
IDAHO FALLS, Idaho - It had been a long day and night for David Denson, in so many ways.
- Lawmakers to buttress authority over executive agencies Updated: Aug-14-15 5:37 pm
HELENA, Montana - Montana's highest-ranking lawmakers decided on Friday they need to reinforce their authority over state agencies, beginning with teaching legislators how to supervise them.
- District Court Judge Jeffrey Sherlock retiring Updated: Aug-14-15 5:04 pm
HELENA, Montana - District Court Judge Jeffrey Sherlock of Helena is retiring at the end of the year.
- Hot, dry weather poses risks as fires sweep Northern Rockies Updated: Aug-14-15 3:19 pm
HELENA, Montana - This week's hot, dry weather has helped ignite dozens of new wildfires across Montana and Idaho, and Friday's conditions were only going to make things worse, officials said.
- Wildfire near Lincoln burns square mile, forces evacuations Updated: Aug-13-15 11:55 pm
GREAT FALLS, Montana - A fire north of Lincoln in the Helena National Forest has burned about a square mile and prompted evacuations, but no homes are immediately threatened.
- Armed protesters declare victory in Montana mining dispute Updated: Aug-12-15 2:41 pm
HELENA, Montana - Armed protesters who say they are protecting a Montana mine from government interference are declaring victory after federal prosecutors filed a lawsuit to determine the miners' rights to the land above their claim.
- US government seeks ruling against miners, armed protesters Updated: Aug-11-15 7:25 pm
HELENA, Montana - Federal prosecutors asked a judge on Tuesday to prevent two miners and their armed supporters from blocking access to public land and threatening government officials over a dispute with the U.S. Forest Service in western Montana.
- Commissioner: Former state senator broke 7 campaign laws Updated: Aug-11-15 3:53 pm
HELENA, Montana - Montana's Commissioner of Political Practices has determined a former state senator broke at least seven campaign laws in a 2014 Republican primary election and should not appear on future ballots until those errors are corrected.
- Man enters not guilty plea to wildfire arson charges Updated: Aug-09-15 3:41 pm
HELENA, Montana - A man has pleaded not guilty to charges that he started a wildfire in the Helena National Forest last month.
- Correction: Livestock Disease story Updated: Aug-07-15 4:34 pm
HELENA, Montana - In a story Aug. 7 about wildlife officials giving initial approval for southern Montana landowners to kill more elk to reduce the spread of disease to cattle, The Associated Press misattributed comments that argued the program is operating without state or legal authority and that no brucellosis has been found in the area where the hunt was requested. The comment was made by Bozeman conservation hunter Kathryn QannaYahu, not Wildlife Habitat Coordinator Catherine Wightman.
- Charges filed against producer of fake Clint Eastwood film Updated: Aug-06-15 4:02 pm
HELENA, Montana - Montana officials have filed fraud and theft charges against a man accused of scamming investors into giving him more than $24,000 to produce a cowboy documentary he said would be narrated by Clint Eastwood.
- US Attorney's Office pushes tribes to reintegrate inmates Updated: Aug-05-15 2:13 pm
HELENA, Montana - The U.S. Attorney's Office in Helena is encouraging American Indian tribes to do more to reintegrate tribal inmates into reservation communities after they're released.