- Smog at extremely hazardous levels in Shanghai Updated: Dec-06-13 4:35 am
- Diligent Asian students dominate global exam Updated: Dec-04-13 12:05 pm
- As Cameron visits, China paper criticizes Britain Updated: Dec-03-13 6:52 am
- Asian nations dominate international test Updated: Dec-03-13 5:03 am
- China sends warplanes into air defense zone Updated: Nov-28-13 11:49 pm
- Inslee returns to Wash. after China trade mission Updated: Nov-19-13 7:18 pm
- Editorial: China eases 'one-child' policy but maybe too... Updated: Nov-19-13 9:22 am
- GM to move int'l office from Shanghai to Singapore Updated: Nov-13-13 8:08 am
- Lt. Gov. Reynolds will speak at forum in China Updated: Nov-08-13 10:14 pm
- Editorial: IRS crackdown on tax cheats is good policy Updated: Nov-08-13 2:19 pm
- Amy Tan tells sweeping tale in new book Updated: Nov-07-13 2:35 pm
- Chinese leaders face pressure for economic change Updated: Nov-07-13 2:43 am
- The not-so-new but expanding world of golf Updated: Nov-05-13 1:27 pm
SHANGHAI - Shanghai authorities ordered schoolchildren indoors and halted all construction Friday as China's financial hub suffered one its worst bouts of air pollution, bringing visibility down to a few dozen meters and obscuring the city's spectacular skyline.
BEIJING - As a ninth-grader, Shanghai's Li Sixin spent more than three hours on homework a night and took tutorials in math, physics and chemistry on the weekends. When she was tapped to take an exam last year given to half a million students around the world, Li breezed through it.
BEIJING - With British Prime Minister David Cameron in the country on an official visit, a Chinese state-run newspaper on Tuesday labeled Britain a fallen great power worthy now only as a destination for tourists and students.
WASHINGTON - Teens from Asian nations dominated a global exam given to 15-year-olds, while U.S. students showed little improvement and failed to reach the top 20 in math, science or reading, according to test results released Tuesday.
BEIJING - China said it sent warplanes into its newly declared maritime air defense zone days after the U.S., South Korea and Japan all sent flights through the airspace in broadening defiance of rules Beijing says it has imposed over the East China Sea.
OLYMPIA, Washington - Gov. Jay Inslee is back in the state after a trade mission to China.
Totalitarian governments pride themselves on thinking Big Thoughts. Unfortunately, totalitarian governments are structurally incapable of thinking through the inescapable consequences of their Big Thoughts.
BEIJING - General Motors Co. said Wednesday that it will move its international headquarters from Shanghai to Singapore, a trophy for the tropical city-state that is aggressively promoting itself as a global business center.
DES MOINES, Iowa - Lt. Gov. Kim Reynolds will leave for China this weekend to speak at a forum in Shanghai.
Among the most counterproductive cuts Congress makes in its zeal to trim the budget are those in the Internal Revenue Service, especially among the agents charged with cracking down on tax fraud.
"The Valley of Amazement" (Ecco), by Amy Tan
BEIJING - Facing pressure to overhaul a worn-out growth model, China's leaders are promising dramatic changes at a weekend meeting that reform advocates hope will make history by unleashing a new wave of economic transformation.
SHANGHAI - Consider a couple of scenes from the golf world this year, with emphasis on "world."