- US, EU ready tough Russia sanctions, in case they're needed Updated: Jun-18-15 3:33 pm
WASHINGTON - The United States and European governments have readied a new round of penalties against Russia targeting its energy and financial sectors as part of a sanctions-in-waiting strategy that officials hope will enable the West to respond immediately if Moscow-backed insurgents seize more territory in Ukraine.
- Correction: Ukraine-Artillery Duels story Updated: Jun-16-15 10:07 am
DONETSK, Ukraine - In a story June 15 about artillery duels in eastern Ukraine, The Associated Press reported erroneously that a rebel salvo hit a checkpoint, killing a rebel fighter. The shelling was apparent Ukrainian government fire.
- Educated Ukrainians flee east Ukraine for new lives in Kiev Updated: Jun-11-15 4:37 am
KIEV, Ukraine - Alesya Bolot worked for a contemporary arts foundation that converted an abandoned factory into a mecca for young and bright people with daring ideas. Vibrant and cosmopolitan, the 27-year-old would not look out of place in a gallery in New York.
- Fed up with failing peace, Ukraine rebels eager to fight Updated: Jun-06-15 11:25 am
DOKUCHAYEVSK, Ukraine - In this front-line town in eastern Ukraine, the cease-fire called more than three months ago seems to be only an insulting guise. Shelling rocks the area so often that dogs have learned to head for the basement at the first blast.
- Obama, Poroshenko voice 'deep concern' over Ukraine fighting Updated: Jun-05-15 3:45 pm
- OSCE say cease-fire violations in Ukraine more frequent Updated: Jun-05-15 2:25 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The mission monitoring a cease-fire agreement in Ukraine warned Friday that violations are becoming more frequent and severe, with heavy weapons often missing from storage areas and rockets and multiple launchers recently being used again.