- Gunshot spotter cuts police response times by 5 minutes Updated: May-28-15 4:29 am
SAVANNAH, Georgia - New technology used by the Savannah police department has cuts its response times to gunshot calls by as much as five minutes.
- Chatham County sheriff hires consultants after jail death Updated: May-26-15 8:23 pm
SAVANNAH, Georgia - A team of outside consultants will review the operations of the Chatham County jail after a 22-year-old college student was found dead there in restraints, Sheriff Al St. Lawrence said Tuesday.
- 2 arrested in Savannah after car broadsides police car Updated: May-25-15 11:46 am
SAVANNAH, Georgia - Police in Savannah arrested two people after a wreck that sent an officer to the hospital.
- Georgia post to give Vietnam vets homecoming they never had Updated: May-25-15 10:13 am
SAVANNAH, Georgia -
- Navy divers to help raise confederate warship artifacts Updated: May-24-15 12:07 pm
NORFOLK, Virginia - The Navy is preparing to send one if its premier diving teams to Georgia to help salvage a Confederate warship from the depths of the Savannah River.
- Prosecutor to seek indictment in jail death of Savannah man Updated: May-22-15 8:56 am
SAVANNAH, Georgia - Prosecutors plan to seek an criminal indictment next month in the death of a 22-year-old college student at the Chatham County jail.
- Savannah Class A minor-league team moving to Columbia Updated: May-21-15 4:42 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The New York Mets' affiliate in the South Atlantic League is moving from Savannah, Georgia to Columbia.
- Chatham County recruiting 20 new corrections officers Updated: May-21-15 4:05 am
SAVANNAH, Georgia - Georgia Department of Labor officials say they're hosting a recruitment fair as the Chatham County Sheriff's office looks to recruit 20 corrections officers.
- Officials probe whether trucker in Georgia crash fell asleep Updated: May-20-15 6:00 pm
SAVANNAH, Georgia - A couple traveling to celebrate back-to-back birthdays and a woman and her teenage cousin on their way to visit the girl's hospitalized father were among five people killed in a fiery crash on a Georgia interstate Tuesday afternoon.
- ConAgra to pay $11.2M to settle salmonella criminal case Updated: May-20-15 12:37 pm
SAVANNAH, Georgia - ConAgra Foods agreed Wednesday to pay $11.2 million to settle a federal criminal charge that the company shipped Peter Pan peanut butter tainted with salmonella from a plant in Georgia more than eight years ago, triggering a massive recall and food-safety investigation after more than 600 people got sick.
- Police chief: 5 dead in crash on Interstate 16 near Savannah Updated: May-19-15 8:04 pm
SAVANNAH, Georgia - A police chief says five people are dead after a tractor trailer smashed into two passenger cars and caught fire on Interstate 16 just west of Savannah.
- Georgia DOT rejects Palmetto Pipeline for refined petroleum Updated: May-19-15 4:02 pm
ATLANTA - A Georgia transportation official has denied Kinder Morgan Inc. an approval necessary to build a 360-mile pipeline carrying gasoline, diesel and ethanol from South Carolina through Georgia and into Florida.
- Busy spring puts state ports on track for record fiscal year Updated: May-18-15 3:23 pm
SAVANNAH, Georgia - The top executive over Georgia's seaports in Savannah and Brunswick said Monday he expects another record-breaking fiscal year following a busy spring in which East Coast ports benefited from a labor dispute on the West Coast.
- Records offer murky view into Affleck's ancestor and slavery Updated: May-17-15 12:24 pm
SAVANNAH, Georgia - A family death in 1858 left Ben Affleck's great-great-great grandfather with legal custody of his mother-in-law's most valuable property - her slaves.
- Friend's close call in Iraq inspires man to become doctor Updated: May-17-15 11:51 am
OMAHA, Nebraska - Sgt. Marshall "Doc" Bahr of Omaha stood in the corner of the trauma room at a Baghdad combat hospital, feeling frustrated and useless.
- Tybee Island officials complain of bridge traffic jams Updated: May-16-15 10:26 am
TYBEE ISLAND, Georgia - Tybee Island officials want their own officers to police a bridge that's recently seen six-hour traffic jams.
- Cats, dogs, squirrel and tortoise taken from coastal GA home Updated: May-14-15 4:31 pm
SAVANNAH, Georgia - Police in coastal Georgia say they're investigating a couple that had been keeping dogs, cats, a squirrel and a tortoise in their house.
- Xavier University names new president from Georgia Updated: May-14-15 2:56 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The board of trustees for Xavier University of Louisiana has unanimously named C. Reynold Verret, provost and chief academic officer at Savannah State University in Georgia, as the New Orleans university's next president.
- Lawsuits say truck in fatal Georgia crash had warning system Updated: May-13-15 4:35 pm
SAVANNAH, Georgia - A tractor-trailer blamed for causing a fiery highway crash that killed five Georgia nursing students was equipped with a warning system designed to alert drivers to avoid collisions, according to civil lawsuits filed by the victims' families.
- For sale: Paula Deen asking $12.5M for her Savannah mansion Updated: May-12-15 1:43 pm
SAVANNAH, Georgia - Paula Deen has put her Savannah mansion on the market with an asking price of $12.5 million.
- Police seek man accused of dragging officer by patrol car Updated: May-11-15 6:52 am
SAVANNAH, Georgia - Police in the Savannah area are searching for a man they say dragged an officer with his patrol car and almost ran over the lawman.
- Sources: Volvo picks South Carolina for its first US plant Updated: May-09-15 8:43 pm
ATLANTA - South Carolina appears to have won its second auto plant.
- Savannah educator named Ga. teacher of the year Updated: May-09-15 9:02 am
ATLANTA - A Savannah educator has been named teacher of the year by the Georgia Department of Education.
- Sheriff: 9 deputies fired over death at coastal Georgia jail Updated: May-08-15 7:23 pm
SAVANNAH, Georgia - A coastal Georgia sheriff fired nine of his deputies Friday in connection with the death of a 22-year-old college student found dead in restraints after he was booked into the county jail.
- Army soldier found dead after standoff with SWAT, police Updated: Apr-30-15 1:46 pm
SAVANNAH, Georgia - A soldier was found dead after a standoff with police at a Savannah apartment complex.