- Piquet Jr. to skip X Games for Formula E race in Moscow Updated: May-28-15 9:59 am
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Nelson Piquet Jr. will skip the X Games to compete in Formula E, where he's a championship contender in the new fully electric racing series.
- Police opposition stalls Texas' open carry handgun bill Updated: May-27-15 9:14 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Fierce opposition from police across the state on Wednesday derailed an effort that would allow people to openly carry handguns on the streets of Texas in a move that could prevent the measure from passing this legislative session.
- Disabled students funneled out for truancy file complaint Updated: May-27-15 8:14 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Disabled students say they were charged with truancy and funneled out of public schools, according to an official complaint they filed Wednesday, accusing 13 districts and the Texas Education Agency of violating federal law.
- Texas House OKs ending Austin residency rule for politicians Updated: May-27-15 7:04 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The Texas House has passed a proposed state constitutional amendment that would allow statewide officeholders to live somewhere other than Austin.
- Austin official resigns amid probe of training on women Updated: May-27-15 1:53 am
AUSTIN, Texas - An Austin city official has resigned after being suspended during an investigation into a training session he organized for staff on how to deal with women in local government.
- Texas flooding overwhelms popular bed-and-breakfast region Updated: May-26-15 10:31 pm
WIMBERLEY, Texas - The vacation house where two families were to spend Memorial Day weekend was already gone, swept down the swollen Blanco River, when Carissa Smith's husband arrived.
- Highlights from around the state Capitol Updated: May-24-15 10:25 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Texas lawmakers on Sunday opted to water down a major attempt to reduce the rising costs of a program offering free college tuition to veterans' children, relenting amid criticism that cutting the benefits too deeply wouldn't be fair to those who sacrifice so much.
- Texas Senate approves open carry of handguns Updated: May-22-15 10:57 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Texas took a major step toward allowing the licensed open carry of handguns, with Senate approval Friday night after a fierce debate over restricting police powers to ask people carrying guns if they are legal.
- Things to know about the next Texas budget Updated: May-22-15 5:34 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The first state budget under Republican Gov. Greg Abbott spends lavishly on border security, defunds one of Rick Perry's signature initiatives and includes the biggest tax cuts in a decade.
- 15 Wyoming track and field athletes earn NCAA bids Updated: May-21-15 4:59 pm
LARAMIE, Wyoming - Fifteen Wyoming track and field student-athletes have qualified for the NCAA West Preliminary on May 28-30 in Austin, Texas.
- Census says 5 Texas cities among top 10 in population gain Updated: May-21-15 7:37 am
AUSTIN, Texas - The U.S. Census Bureau says five Texas cities are among the country's top 10 in population gain, and San Marcos is the fastest-growing in the nation for the third consecutive year.
- Hosts of biker events reconsider after deadly Waco shootout Updated: May-20-15 7:04 pm
SAN ANTONIO - Motorcycle clubs have gathered dozens of times at Roy Barnett's bar for meetings just like the one that led to a shootout among rival biker gangs at a Waco restaurant.
- Texas court throws out convictions for ex-day care owners Updated: May-20-15 2:18 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - An appeals court has thrown out the 1992 sex assault convictions of two ex-day care owners in Austin who deny abusing children.
- Man who caught listeria-related meningitis sues Blue Bell Updated: May-20-15 10:39 am
AUSTIN, Texas - A man is suing Blue Bell, saying he contracted listeria-related meningitis after eating ice cream produced by the company in 2013.
- Texas House unanimously OKs stricter state contract rules Updated: May-19-15 3:50 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The House has approved a bill aimed at increasing transparency and accountability in state contracts, following a $110 million no-bid state contract scandal.
- Mother of US reporter missing in Syria pleads for answers Updated: May-19-15 11:16 am
BEIRUT - The mother of an American journalist missing in Syria for nearly three years pleaded on Tuesday for information about him, saying she believes that he is still alive.
- Biker shootout becomes flashpoint for Texas gun opponents Updated: May-18-15 5:34 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The restaurant shootout between rival biker gangs in Waco became a last-ditch rallying cry Monday for opponents of a bill that Republican Gov. Greg Abbott is all but certain to soon sign into law: legalizing openly carried handguns in Texas.
- Official: University of Texas football could play in Mexico Updated: May-18-15 8:51 am
AUSTIN, Texas - University of Texas athletic director Steve Patterson says the Longhorns could play football in Mexico City by 2020 as UT considers expanding its brand internationally.
- Austin official on leave amid probe into training on women Updated: May-15-15 7:34 am
AUSTIN, Texas - An Austin city official has been suspended while an investigation is conducted into a seminar for municipal staff on how to deal with women that left the city's female-majority City Council fuming.
- Texas anti-gay marriage bill dead for now as deadline passes Updated: May-15-15 1:35 am
AUSTIN, Texas - Efforts by Texas Republicans to defy the U.S. Supreme Court if gay marriage is legalized took a major setback Friday when time expired on a bill that would prohibit government employees from issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples.
- Thursday results from the Texas state high school track meet Updated: May-14-15 11:39 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Thursday's results from the Texas state high school track and field championships:
- Texas nurse died when harness detached from helicopter cable Updated: May-13-15 2:55 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - An incident report says a Texas flight nurse died after falling about 100 feet from a medical helicopter when her harness became detached from a hoisting cable.
- University of Texas says 3rd student diagnosed with mumps Updated: May-13-15 1:38 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The University of Texas says three students have tested positive for mumps, and officials are trying to notify classmates and guests at a fraternity party one of them attended last weekend.
- Incoming University of Texas president declines $1M salary Updated: May-13-15 10:29 am
AUSTIN, Texas - Emails show the incoming president of the University of Texas at Austin declined a $1 million salary offer because he was concerned it could upset students and faculty at the school that has been stretched for funds in recent years.
- Smart says 'Havoc' style a way of life, not just a copyright Updated: May-11-15 6:45 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The University of Texas may have bowed out of the legal fight with Virginia Commonwealth over the copyright of "Havoc."