- Barcelona falls 2-1 to Sevilla in Spanish league Updated: Oct-03-15 1:01 pm
MADRID - Barcelona lost 2-1 at struggling Sevilla on Saturday, missing the chance to take the provisional lead in the Spanish league.
- Spanish police probe garages offering emission cheating Updated: Oct-03-15 10:36 am
MADRID - Spanish police have cracked down on a string of garages that allegedly provided customers with mechanical and software services that enabled their cars to cheat emission checks in a scam similar to that which has engulfed Volkswagen, a statement said Saturday.
- Diego Costa left out of Spain squad for Euro 2016 qualifiers Updated: Oct-02-15 10:16 am
MADRID - Spain coach Vicente del Bosque on Friday left Diego Costa out of the squad for the team's last two qualifying matches for next year's European Championship.
- Real Madrid honors Ronaldo for setting scoring record Updated: Oct-02-15 9:02 am
MADRID - Real Madrid held a special ceremony to honor Cristiano Ronaldo on Friday after he became the club's all-time leading scorer.
- Spain's premier calls general election to be held on Dec 20 Updated: Oct-01-15 3:53 pm
MADRID - Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy has called a much-anticipated general election for Dec. 20 that will showcase four parties vying for power.
- Villarreal looking to keep momentum going in Spain Updated: Oct-01-15 9:10 am
MADRID - Looking for its sixth win a row, Villarreal is the team to beat in Spain.
- Spain's Repsol energy firm plans 1,500 job cuts over 3 years Updated: Oct-01-15 6:49 am
MADRID - Spanish energy company Repsol plans to eliminate 6 percent of its workforce by 2020, meaning about 1,500 job cuts for the company's roster of 25,000 employees.
- Benfica beats Atletico Madrid 2-1 to take Group C lead Updated: Sep-30-15 7:03 pm
MADRID - Benfica came from behind to surprise Atletico Madrid with a 2-1 win on Wednesday, taking the lead in Group C of the Champions League.
- Another record for Ronaldo, another win for Madrid Updated: Sep-30-15 7:02 pm
MADRID - Cristiano Ronaldo surpassed the 500-goal mark and Real Madrid hailed him as the club's all-time leading scorer on Wednesday, while Manchester United and Manchester City rebounded from opening losses to remain in contention in the Champions League.
- Cavani in fine form ahead of Champions League match Updated: Sep-29-15 6:54 am
LVIV, Ukraine - Last January, when reports linking Edinson Cavani to Arsenal emerged, the most commonly identified reason behind the Uruguay striker's unhappiness at Paris Saint-Germain was his fraught relationship with Zlatan Ibrahimovic.
- Former Real Madrid midfielder Ignacio Zoco dies at 76 Updated: Sep-28-15 10:52 am
MADRID - Ignacio Zoco, a former Real Madrid defensive midfielder who won a European Cup and seven league championships along with the 1964 European title with Spain, has died. He was 76.
- Chelsea, hurting at home, looks for relief in Europe Updated: Sep-28-15 10:35 am
LISBON, Portugal - Jose Mourinho's Chelsea has made a miserable start to the Premier League season, lying 15th after seven games, but it's top of Champions league G and hopeful a strong run in Europe's prestige tournament can ease the pressure at home.
- Barcelona to be tested without Messi in Champions League Updated: Sep-28-15 1:31 am
MADRID - Barcelona's first game without the injured Lionel Messi will be an important one in the Champions League.
- Spain: Pro-secession parties in Catalonia win landmark vote Updated: Sep-27-15 8:14 pm
BARCELONA, Spain - Pro-secession parties pushing for Spain's northeastern Catalonia region to break away and form a new Mediterranean nation won a landmark vote Sunday by capturing a regional parliamentary majority, setting up a possible showdown over independence with the central government in Madrid.
- NBA's global reach to be displayed again in preseason Updated: Sep-25-15 4:50 pm
MIAMI - In less than six months, Boston Celtics coach Brad Stevens will be on the sideline in six different countries.
- Spain: Radical party likely kingmaker in Catalonia secession Updated: Sep-25-15 9:13 am
BARCELONA, Spain - A radical left party has made a startling journey from colorful oddity to potential kingmaker in Catalonia's independence drive.
- Liga boss: Spanish league without Catalan clubs unimaginable Updated: Sep-24-15 12:51 pm
MADRID - The Spanish league would be unimaginable without Catalan clubs in it, La Liga's president said Thursday.
- Spain court backs ruling for German firm in thalidomide case Updated: Sep-23-15 9:58 am
MADRID - Spain's Supreme Court has upheld a lower court ruling that a German pharmaceutical company does not have to pay compensation to 22 Spaniards who blame their disabilities on the drug thalidomide.
- Sports, politics mix in Barcelona in Catalonia secession bid Updated: Sep-23-15 6:35 am
BARCELONA, Spain - Sports and politics are never far apart in Barcelona's Camp Nou football stadium. Moments after fans emitted a collective sigh last weekend over a narrowly missed strike by Lionel Messi, the chants rang through the stadium as they always do at the 17th minute of a home game: INDEPENDENCIA! INDEPENDENCIA! INDEPENDENCIA!
- In the end, Real Madrid lucky it got to keep Navas in goal Updated: Sep-21-15 1:40 pm
MADRID - Real Madrid might consider itself lucky the plan to trade goalkeeper Keylor Navas and cash for David de Gea never materialized.
- Son of tripped Syrian refugee accompanies Ronaldo at game Updated: Sep-19-15 5:37 pm
MADRID - The son of the Syrian refugee tripped by a Hungarian journalist accompanied Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo onto the pitch before the team's Spanish league game on Saturday.
- Spanish police thwart drug cartel assassination attempt Updated: Sep-19-15 1:07 pm
MADRID - Spanish police say they have arrested seven people in the southern town of Cala de Mijas on suspicion of planning to assassinate a businessman on orders from a Colombian drug cartel.
- Bale likely to be sidelined for 2 weeks with calf injury Updated: Sep-17-15 7:13 am
MADRID - Real Madrid forward Gareth Bale is expected to be sidelined for about two weeks because of a left calf injury.
- Syrian tripped by Hungarian journalist arrives in Madrid Updated: Sep-16-15 8:24 pm
MADRID - The Syrian refugee who was tripped at a border hotspot by a Hungarian journalist in an incident that generated global outrage arrived in Madrid early Thursday with hopes of rebuilding his career and giving his family a new life.
- Real Madrid says Ramos dislocated left shoulder joint Updated: Sep-16-15 9:58 am
MADRID - Real Madrid says defender Sergio Ramos dislocated a joint in his left shoulder in the Champions League win over Shakhtar Donetsk.