- Belarus' Lukashenko set for re-election Updated: Oct-10-15 7:07 am
MINSK, Belarus - In the 21 years under Alexander Lukashenko's rule, Belarus in many ways has seemed little different than the Soviet republic it once was. Dissent is stifled, sometimes harshly. The economy remains largely state-controlled. Even the flag is nearly identical to the Soviet-era emblem.
- Correction: Nobel-Literature story Updated: Oct-09-15 2:14 pm
MINSK, Belarus - In an Oct. 8 story about the Nobel Prize for literature, The Associated Press erroneously reported that the prize had been awarded only twice for non-fiction prior to 2015, to Winston Churchill and Bertrand Russell. The prize also was awarded in 1902 to Christian Mommsen, most noted for his historical writing on Rome.
- In Belarus, opposition artists express dissent underground Updated: Oct-09-15 12:10 pm
MINSK, Belarus - Belarus' crippled political opposition has been cautious in its criticisms ahead of Sunday's presidential election. Not so the country's underground artists.
- Belarus independent journalists targeted ahead of election Updated: Oct-08-15 5:46 am
MINSK, Belarus - A secret apartment in an old Minsk building has become just the latest risky place for journalists from the independent Belsat television station to work.
- Belarus' president says he doesn't want Russian air base Updated: Oct-06-15 2:07 pm
MINSK, Belarus - Belarus doesn't want to host a Russian military air base, President Alexander Lukashenko said Tuesday, a statement that highlighted a strain between the two neighbors and allies.
- Russian, Ukrainian leaders hold talks in Paris Updated: Oct-02-15 5:24 pm
PARIS - A summit reviving a European push to bring peace to eastern Ukraine ended Friday with a call for the delay of contentious rebel plans to hold local elections this month and for both sides to begin a promised withdrawal of smaller-caliber weapons.
- AP Interview: Ukrainian president pins hopes on UN talks Updated: Sep-28-15 12:18 am
NEW YORK - Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko says he wants Monday's planned meeting between President Barack Obama and Russian President Vladimir Putin to lead to better implementation of an accord aimed at halting war in eastern Ukraine.
- Hundreds rally in rare protest in authoritarian Belarus Updated: Sep-23-15 2:49 pm
MINSK, Belarus - Hundreds of people have gathered in the Belarusian capital Minsk for a rare unsanctioned protest which did not provoke police violence.
- Belarusian demonstrators call for election boycott Updated: Sep-10-15 3:48 pm
MINSK, Belarus - About 300 opposition supporters rallied Thursday in the Belarusian capital calling for a boycott of next month's presidential vote.