- Nationals' 2-1 loss to Marlins leaves Strasburg hurting Updated: May-06-15 12:06 am
WASHINGTON - Here's a sight no Nationals fan, or player, ever wants to see: Stephen Strasburg throwing a pitch, grimacing and stepping off the mound in obvious discomfort.
- Latos, Marlins limit Nationals to 3 hits in 2-1 victory Updated: May-05-15 11:56 pm
WASHINGTON - Three innings into the game, Mat Latos was getting into a groove and an ailing Stephen Strasburg was done for the night.
- Senate sets test vote on Iran sanctions bill Updated: May-05-15 9:51 pm
WASHINGTON - Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell set a test vote for Thursday on stalled bipartisan legislation to let Congress review and possibly reject any agreement the Obama administration makes to ease sanctions on Iran in exchange for concessions on nuclear research and development.
- Senate adopts GOP budget targeting 'Obamacare' Updated: May-05-15 8:43 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate on Tuesday adopted a GOP budget that paves the way for an assault on President Barack Obama's health care law this summer and a partisan showdown over spending bills this fall.
- Capitol Hill Buzz: Reid sounds resigned on trade fast track Updated: May-05-15 6:37 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate's top Democrat fiercely opposes expanded trade deals, but he signaled Tuesday he won't stand on the railroad tracks to block them.
- Obama chooses Marine general as Joint Chiefs chairman Updated: May-05-15 1:51 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama on Tuesday nominated a respected, combat hardened commander as his next chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff to lead the military during a key period of transition.
- Obama on protests: 'There are consequences to indifference' Updated: May-04-15 11:41 pm
NEW YORK - In a deeply personal response to outbreaks of racially motivated protests, President Barack Obama on Monday blamed a lack of opportunity in minority communities and harsher treatment of black and Hispanic men by police for fueling a sense of "unfairness and powerlessness."
- Holtby's shutout, Beagle's goal lift Caps over Rangers 1-0 Updated: May-04-15 11:35 pm
WASHINGTON - Braden Holtby stood in a corner of the Washington Capitals' locker room, his arms folded across his chest, his voice low and monotone, his demeanor as steady and calm as when he was protecting the net.
- Democratic committee endorses Murphy for Rubio Senate seat Updated: May-04-15 1:57 pm
WASHINGTON - The Democratic Senate campaign committee endorsed Rep. Patrick Murphy on Monday as its candidate for the Senate seat being vacated by Republican Marco Rubio of Florida, who is running for president. The endorsement comes even as another Democratic congressman, Alan Grayson, is eyeing the same seat.
- White House chooses Antioch company to make tableware Updated: May-04-15 4:05 am
ANTIOCH, Illinois - Anyone from Illinois visiting the White House who's lucky enough to stay for dinner might just see something from back home: the tableware.
- In Congress, income inequality fact of life for food servers Updated: May-04-15 3:38 am
WASHINGTON - Income inequality is more than a political sound bite to workers in the Capitol. It's their life.
- With Walker a 2016 GOP force, Kasich and Snyder ponder runs Updated: May-04-15 3:36 am
WASHINGTON - Wisconsin's Scott Walker has emerged as a force in the 2016 White House contest. It's a position two other Republican governors from the Midwest, lesser known but similarly ambitious, undoubtedly would like to be in.
- Former player seeks solution for NFL's concussion problem Updated: May-02-15 2:30 pm
CHICAGO - Former NFL defensive lineman Marvin Washington looks at Saturday's sports schedule and doesn't see such a spectacular lineup.
- Connecticut WWII veterans to visit Washington war memorials Updated: May-02-15 12:11 pm
FARMINGTON, Connecticut - Two Connecticut veterans of World War II are set to visit Washington, D.C.'s monuments and memorials honoring millions of service members.
- Portman faces balancing act on trade as he seeks re-election Updated: May-02-15 11:03 am
WASHINGTON - Sen. Rob Portman of Ohio is maneuvering with care as he runs for re-election in a swing state while cautiously supporting a free-trade deal that even some fellow Republicans fear could lead to job losses back home.
- DC art students memorialize Jesse Owens Updated: May-02-15 9:10 am
WASHINGTON - A tribute to Olympic hero Jesse Owens now is proudly on display at the Frank D. Reeves Municipal Center in Northwest thanks to students at a nearby arts school.
- Structure in Watergate garage collapses; 1 person injured Updated: May-01-15 6:36 pm
WASHINGTON - Rescuers were searching for a possible victim Friday at the site of a collapsed parking garage at the Watergate complex after a cadaver dog made a possible hit in the rubble, District of Columbia Mayor Muriel Bowser said.
- House passes $35B bill for Energy Department, water projects Updated: May-01-15 1:09 pm
WASHINGTON - House Republicans Friday passed the second of 12 spending bills for the upcoming budget year, a $35 billion measure funding the Energy Department and popular water projects constructed by the Army Corps of Engineers.
- House OKs GOP measure blocking local DC abortion rights law Updated: Apr-30-15 11:14 pm
WASHINGTON - Republicans pushed legislation through the House Thursday that would revoke a District of Columbia law barring discrimination in the city against workers who have abortions, the latest clash pitting claims of religious freedom against reproductive rights.
- TRICARE revamp rejected, other benefit changes backed Updated: Apr-30-15 6:42 pm
WASHINGTON - The White House has rejected a proposal to largely replace the military's TRICARE health care system, but has agreed to further study a proposal that would let service members participate in retirement savings plans like a 401(k).
- Obama under pressure to beef up Democratic support for trade Updated: Apr-30-15 5:28 pm
WASHINGTON - Republican leaders say GOP votes alone won't pass trade legislation sought by President Barack Obama and are urging the White House to put more pressure on reluctant Democrats to lend their support.
- White House: Facilitating ransom not the same as paying Updated: Apr-30-15 4:45 pm
WASHINGTON - Despite a U.S. ban on ransom payments to terrorists, the White House said Thursday that federal officials helping to facilitate a payment is not the same as actually paying a ransom.
- House defense bill - at odds with Obama, Iraq, sage grouse Updated: Apr-30-15 4:11 pm
WASHINGTON - A nearly $612 billion defense policy bill headed to the House floor is at odds with the White House, a Shiite cleric in Iraq, anyone who wants to bar lethal aid to Ukrainian forces fighting Russian-backed rebels - and a bird known for its strutting.
- Former journalist, Obama adviser nominated to run aid agency Updated: Apr-30-15 1:37 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama tapped White House adviser Gayle Smith on Thursday to run the U.S. Agency for International Development, putting a former journalist and longtime Africa expert in charge of his global development agenda for the final years of his presidency.
- Obama pushes reading through e-book, library initiatives Updated: Apr-30-15 12:21 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama announced Thursday that major book publishers will provide more than $250 million in free e-books to low-income students and that he is seeking commitments from local governments and schools nationwide to provide library cards to all students.