- Woman known for trying to sneak on planes jailed in Chicago Updated: May-06-15 3:41 pm
CHICAGO - A woman with a history of trying to sneak onto planes without a ticket has been arrested twice in recent days at both of Chicago's international airports after being spotted loitering in terminal areas, police said Wednesday.
- Study: Top tech firms bypassing Asian workers for exec jobs Updated: May-06-15 3:38 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Google, Yahoo and other major technology companies are far more inclined to hire Asians as computer programmers than to promote them to become managers or executives, according to a study released Wednesday.
- Appeals court says police can withhold license plate scans Updated: May-06-15 3:36 pm
LOS ANGELES - A California appeals court says police don't have to turn over records of license plates that are electronically scanned.
- Jesse Jackson keeps pressure on Silicon Valley to diversify Updated: May-06-15 3:35 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Civil rights leader Jesse Jackson renewed his call for the technology industry to make workforce diversity as high a priority as product innovation during a Wednesday summit addressing Silicon Valley's shortage of women, blacks and Hispanics in high-paying jobs.
- Using a smartphone microscope to detect parasites in blood Updated: May-06-15 3:14 pm
WASHINGTON - Prick a finger and have the blood checked for parasites - by smartphone? Scientists are turning those ubiquitous phones into microscopes and other medical tools that could help fight diseases in remote parts of the world.
- 14-month-old girl abducted in Los Angeles is found safe Updated: May-06-15 3:13 pm
LOS ANGELES - Police say a 14-month-old girl abducted from her grandmother's home in Los Angeles has been returned and officers are searching for the child's father.
- Police shoot armed man on South Los Angeles roof Updated: May-06-15 3:13 pm
LOS ANGELES - Police say officers shot and wounded a man pointing a gun at them from a rooftop in South Los Angeles.
- 3 accused of operating fictitious police department Updated: May-06-15 3:09 pm
LOS ANGELES - Three people were arrested in Southern California for operating a fictitious police department that claims jurisdiction in 33 states and Mexico and says it has existed for 3,000 years, authorities said.
- Delays expected on San Francisco commuter trains Updated: May-06-15 3:02 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Commuters traveling by Bay Area Rapid Transit trains should expect delays Wednesday due to a deformity on a stretch of track that will require repair.
- Chase Elliott gets NAPA sponsorship on No. 24 car in 2016 Updated: May-06-15 2:39 pm
CONCORD, North Carolina - Chase Elliott is bringing NAPA's sponsorship with him to the Sprint Cup Series.
- California man arrested in fatal crash faces protesters Updated: May-06-15 2:02 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Friends and family of a woman and a toddler killed last weekend by a drunken driver unleashed their anger on a San Francisco Bay Area suspect Tuesday.
- Ship may have hit whale found washed up near San Francisco Updated: May-06-15 2:01 pm
PACIFICA, California - Scientists say a ship may have hit and killed a young humpback whale that washed up at a San Francisco Bay Area beach earlier this week.
- Colleges move to expand services for immigrant students Updated: May-06-15 1:56 pm
DAVIS, California - Miguel Davila had reasons to be skeptical when the University of California, Davis dedicated a bright, clearly marked space on campus for students who were brought to the U.S. illegally as children.
- Woman in DuPont economic espionage case pleads guilty Updated: May-06-15 1:28 pm
OAKLAND, California - A woman accused along with her husband and former DuPont engineers of stealing trade secrets and selling them to China has pleaded guilty to a related charge.
- Small quakes shake Southern, Northern California communities Updated: May-06-15 1:19 pm
HEMET, California - Small earthquakes hundreds of miles apart have rattled communities east of Los Angeles and San Francisco.
- Pass first? Point guards look to show you can score, win Updated: May-06-15 1:14 pm
- Geena Davis launches Arkansas film fest for women, diversity Updated: May-06-15 1:01 pm
LOS ANGELES - With help from a slew of corporate sponsors, Geena Davis and filmmakers focused on women and diversity have taken over Bentonville, Arkansas, a city of 40,000 best known as Wal-Mart's home base.
- AP EXPLAINS: What's next for jury in missing NYC boy case? Updated: May-06-15 12:52 pm
NEW YORK - The haunting case of missing first-grader Etan Patz has endured for almost four decades - and deliberations in the long-awaited murder trial stemming from his 1979 disappearance are enduring extraordinarily long, too.
- Hillary Clinton fundraising in San Francisco Bay Area Updated: May-06-15 11:53 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton will visit the San Francisco Bay Area this week for two days of private fundraising in the homes of billionaires and big donors.
- New San Francisco Bay Area camp spot to have sweeping views Updated: May-06-15 10:01 am
FREMONT, California - A rare overnight campground along San Francisco Bay will be the centerpiece of a new multi-million dollar recreation area in development.
- Rancho Cordova approves digital billboard on Highway 50 Updated: May-06-15 9:37 am
RANCHO CORDOVA, California - After five public hearings, the Rancho Cordova City Council has approved a plan to erect a digital billboard along Highway 50 that will bring $1.4 million to the city.
- Apartment fire displaces hundreds, causes $850,000 in damage Updated: May-06-15 9:11 am
CYPRESS, California - About 200 residents are assessing the damage after a two-alarm fire emptied their apartment building for the night, shutting off power and burning units and cars.
- Woman accused of biting officer at San Diego border crossing Updated: May-06-15 8:40 am
SAN DIEGO - Federal officials say a woman was arrested on suspicion of biting a Customs and Border Protection officer who stopped her as she tried to enter the U.S. by walking through the vehicle lanes at a San Diego border crossing.
- Teenage hiker calls for rescue as water runs low Updated: May-06-15 8:17 am
SACRAMENTO, California - A teenager hiker was down to eight ounces of water when he was rescued by a California Highway Patrol helicopter in Alpine County.
- Apartment fire in Cypress displaces 200 Updated: May-06-15 6:14 am
CYPRESS, California - Hundreds have been displaced after a fire destroyed an apartment complex in Southern California.