- 3 California deputies arrested; inmate died of blunt trauma Updated: Sep-04-15 6:56 am
SAN JOSE, California - Three Northern California jail guards have been arrested after an inmate under their watch was found dead of multiple blunt trauma, authorities said.
- Airman who helped stop train attack returns to US Updated: Sep-04-15 4:41 am
TRAVIS AIR FORCE BASE, California - The U.S. Air Force airman who was injured when he and two childhood friends tackled a heavily armed gunman on a Paris-bound train returned to his native California Thursday night.
- Verdict reached in case of man accused of kidnapping girl Updated: Sep-04-15 4:29 am
LOS ANGELES - A jury is set to deliver its verdict Friday in the case of a man charged with kidnapping and raping a 10-year-old girl in Los Angeles, before releasing her and fleeing to Mexico.
- California governor's highway plan includes $65 driver fee Updated: Sep-04-15 4:22 am
SACRAMENTO, California - More than two months after calling a special session to address California's transportation funding backlog, Gov. Jerry Brown has begun circulating a list of administration proposals on how to pay for it, including a $65 annual fee for drivers and increases in the diesel and gas taxes tied to inflation.
- Seager's debut spoiled by Dodgers' collapse vs. Padres Updated: Sep-04-15 3:56 am
SAN DIEGO - Corey Seager made the most of his major league debut, though it came in a loss.
- Police: Gunman kills 1, wounds 2 at Sacramento college Updated: Sep-04-15 3:29 am
SACRAMENTO, California - Police hunted for a gunman Thursday night who opened fire at a Sacramento college parking lot, killing one man and wounding two others, officials said.
- Padres rally for 10-7 win over Dodgers Updated: Sep-04-15 3:17 am
SAN DIEGO - Jedd Gyorko and Yangervis Solarte powered a late rally against a red-hot opponent.
- Fired regulator: Brown pushed to waive oil safeguards. Updated: Sep-04-15 2:32 am
SAN FRANCISCO - California's top oil and gas regulators repeatedly warned Gov. Jerry Brown's senior aides in 2011 that the governor's orders to override key safeguards in granting oil industry permits would violate state and federal laws protecting the state's groundwater from contamination, one of the former officials has testified.
- Near LA's Koreatown, pastor tries to lift veil on drug abuse Updated: Sep-04-15 2:29 am
LOS ANGELES - In a blue-and-white church on the outskirts of Los Angeles' Koreatown, pastor Young Ho Han is trying to lift the veil on a problem silently afflicting his community: drug abuse among young Korean-Americans.
- Ellington has 70-yard touchdown catch, 49ers beat Chargers Updated: Sep-04-15 2:15 am
SANTA CLARA, California - Colin Kaepernick donned a red cap and sneakers, offered a quick side hug to third-string quarterback Dylan Thompson, then took his spot on the sideline for the San Francisco 49ers' 14-12 win against San Diego on Thursday night.
- Lockett's early TD sends Seattle to 31-21 win over Oakland Updated: Sep-04-15 2:11 am
SEATTLE - If there was such an award, Seattle Seahawks rookie Tyler Lockett would be the clear MVP of the preseason.
- Waller, Fresno State beat Abilene Christian 34-13 Updated: Sep-04-15 1:47 am
FRESNO, California - Marteze Waller ran for 154 yards, Chad Olsen caught two touchdown passes and Fresno State beat Abilene Christian 34-13 in the opener for both teams on Thursday night.
- Gonzalez hits 2 HRs again as Rockies rout Giants 11-3 Updated: Sep-04-15 1:35 am
DENVER - Carlos Gonzalez followed Wednesday's power display with another impressive performance.
- Gonzalez hits 2 HRs again as Rockies rout Giants 11-3 Updated: Sep-04-15 1:26 am
DENVER - Ryan Vogelsong's first career home run was spoiled by his rough outing on the mound.
- San Jose State rolls over New Hampshire 43-13 Updated: Sep-04-15 1:26 am
SAN JOSE, California - Tyler Ervin ran for three touchdowns and San Jose State beat New Hampshire 43-13 in the opener for both teams Thursday night.
- Parker, Ogwumike lead L.A.'s comeback over Mystics, 93-91 Updated: Sep-04-15 1:24 am
LOS ANGELES - Candace Parker posted her 12th double-double in 15 games and Nneke Ogwumike did the same in her first game back after missing seven games to an injury to power Los Angeles to a 93-91 win over the Washington Mystics on Thursday night.
- Spotlight shines on trio of 2nd-year quarterbacks Updated: Sep-04-15 12:12 am
ALAMEDA, California - The challenges facing a rookie quarterback in the NFL can be a bit overwhelming.
- No foul play in death of woman found in car at supermarket Updated: Sep-03-15 11:08 pm
WEST COVINA, California - Police say they don't suspect foul play in the death of a woman whose body was found in a car at a West Covina supermarket.
- Effort to ban microbeads in California falls short Updated: Sep-03-15 10:05 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California legislation to ban microscopic beads in personal care products has fallen short of the needed votes.
- Padres recall LHP Frank Garces Updated: Sep-03-15 9:41 pm
SAN DIEGO - The San Diego Padres have recalled left-hander Frank Garces from Triple-A El Paso on Thursday.
- Lawmakers move to override voters on 'date rape' drugs Updated: Sep-03-15 9:27 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - State lawmakers are asking Gov. Jerry Brown to override one portion of the voter-approved Proposition 47, which reduced penalties for some crimes.
- Jim Young, member of lone Santa Clara Final Four team, dies Updated: Sep-03-15 9:09 pm
QUINCY, California - Jim Young, a member of the only Santa Clara University basketball team to reach the Final Four in 1952, has died. He was 82.
- Judge: Suspect's confession OK in California pier shooting Updated: Sep-03-15 9:01 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A judge declined Thursday to toss out the confession of a suspect charged with murder in a San Francisco shooting at the center of the national immigration debate.
- Assembly Democrats elect next speaker from Los Angeles area Updated: Sep-03-15 8:56 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Democrats in the California Assembly have unanimously elected their next leader after the current speaker tried to stave off a vote until next year.
- Metrolink evaluating train car safety in wake of accident Updated: Sep-03-15 8:53 pm
LOS ANGELES - Metrolink is evaluating the safety of its crash-resistant cars and removing them from the front of trains in the wake of a deadly Southern California derailment, the railroad said Thursday.