- San Bernardino police come under gunfire; 3 held Updated: Apr-29-16 10:19 am
SAN BERNARDINO, California - San Bernardino, California, police say no officers were hit in an exchange of gunfire and three people are in custody after officers were ambushed.
- 'Frisco Five' fast to protest San Francisco police brutality Updated: Apr-29-16 10:11 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Five people in San Francisco are on the ninth day of a hunger strike, saying they won't eat until San Francisco's police chief is fired or resigns.
- Power outage affects 20,000 in Riverside County Updated: Apr-29-16 10:09 am
HEMET, California - A power outage has affected more than 20,000 utility customers in the Hemet area of Riverside County.
- Trump making case to GOP insiders after chaotic rally scene Updated: Apr-29-16 9:56 am
LOS ANGELES - Donald Trump, the outsider, is making his case to California's Republican establishment after he kicked off his crucial campaign for the state's presidential primary with an enormous rally marred by confrontations between protesters and his supporters on the streets.
- San Francisco chief releases racist texts Updated: Apr-29-16 9:48 am
SAN FRANCISCO - San Francisco's police chief has ordered effective immediately that all officers attend an anti-harassment class, even as he released more transcripts of a former lieutenant and two former officers exchanging racist text messages.
- Violence follows California Trump rally, about 20 arrested Updated: Apr-29-16 9:37 am
COSTA MESA, California - Raucous protesters and supporters of Donald Trump violently confronted each other in California leading to some 20 arrests as the Republican presidential contender brought his campaign to conservative Orange County.
- Marlins' Dee Gordon says he unknowingly took PEDs Updated: Apr-29-16 9:20 am
MIAMI - Reigning NL batting champion Dee Gordon of the Miami Marlins says he unknowingly took the performance-enhancing drugs that led to his 80-game suspension, but he'll accept the penalty.
- Man who stalked woman from India to US sentenced in Texas Updated: Apr-29-16 8:27 am
MCKINNEY, Texas - A 32-year-old Los Angeles man who stalked a woman for almost a decade after he met her in India has been sentenced to 17 years in prison after a Texas jury convicted him of breaking into her Dallas-area apartment and setting up a false credit tracking account to locate her.
- Racist statements lead lawmakers to reject John Wayne Day Updated: Apr-29-16 8:10 am
SACRAMENTO, California - What a California lawmaker intended as a benign resolution honoring a late, world-renowned movie icon exploded into an emotional debate over decades-old racist comments.
- Rovi buying TiVo in $1.1B cash-and-stock deal Updated: Apr-29-16 7:45 am
NEW YORK - Digital TV listing company Rovi is buying TiVo in a cash-and-stock deal valued at about $1.1 billion.
- California utility casts doubt on blame for deadly wildfire Updated: Apr-29-16 5:09 am
SAN FRANCISCO - The state of California is seeking more than $90 million in firefighting costs from Pacific Gas & Electric Co. after finding that a deadly 2015 fire was sparked by a tree that came into contact with a power line, but the utility says it's not clear that it was to blame for the tree.
- 3 with family ties to San Bernardino shooters arrested Updated: Apr-29-16 4:57 am
RIVERSIDE, California - The brother of the man behind the San Bernardino terror attack and two Russian sisters have been charged with marriage fraud in a case that was unrelated to the December shootings but came to light in the investigation that followed it.
- Doubts about honesty led to university chancellor's removal Updated: Apr-29-16 3:29 am
SAN FRANCISCO - University of California President Janet Napolitano felt compelled to remove the chancellor of UC Davis after documents contradicted the campus leader's contention that she did not have any dealings with contractors that were hired to bolster the school's image online, a university spokeswoman said Thursday.
- Dodgers swept in 4-game series by Mattingly's Marlins Updated: Apr-29-16 3:09 am
LOS ANGELES - There was much hand-wringing in the Los Angeles Dodgers' clubhouse following a four-game sweep to the Miami Marlins and former manager Don Mattingly in his first series back at Chavez Ravine.
- Marlins' sweep overshadowed by Gordon's PED suspension Updated: Apr-29-16 2:46 am
LOS ANGELES - Dee Gordon celebrated with the Miami Marlins following a huge four-game sweep.
- Keeneland has provided a training option for Derby hopefuls Updated: Apr-29-16 2:16 am
LEXINGTON, Kentucky - While the path to the Kentucky Derby has wound through Florida, New York, California and other places, some hopefuls have found a quiet little stopover down the road from Churchill Downs at Keeneland.
- Some skirmishes in aftermath of Orange County Trump rally Updated: Apr-29-16 1:52 am
COSTA MESA, California - Thousands of supporters turned out Thursday as Donald Trump brought his campaign to Southern California.
- 49ers select Oregon defensive end DeForest Buckner at No. 7 Updated: Apr-29-16 1:08 am
SAN FRANCISCO - As DeForest Buckner waited for his name to be called, he hoped for this very scenario: An Oregon reunion in Northern California.
- The Latest: Hundreds turned away from Trump rally in OC Updated: Apr-29-16 12:56 am
COSTA MESA, California - The Latest on the scene outside Donald Trump's rally in Southern California (all times local):
- Chargers take Ohio State's Joey Bosa with 3rd pick in draft Updated: Apr-29-16 12:30 am
SAN DIEGO - Joey Bosa says he's "a chill guy," so it's perfect that he was drafted by the San Diego Chargers with the third pick overall in the NFL draft Thursday night.
- QBs Goff and Wentz soar, OT Tunsil takes bizarre tumble Updated: Apr-29-16 12:29 am
CHICAGO - California love for Jared Goff, and Philadelphia pride for Carson Wentz.
- The Latest: 5 Ohio State players selected in 1st round Updated: Apr-29-16 12:00 am
CHICAGO - The Latest on the first day of the NFL draft (all times local):
- Raiders draft West Virginia S Karl Joseph 14th overall Updated: Apr-29-16 12:00 am
ALAMEDA, California - The Oakland Raiders set out this offseason knowing they needed to retool a secondary that was suspect at times last year and then lost star safety Charles Woodson to retirement.
- NFL Draft: Players selected in the first round Updated: Apr-28-16 11:44 pm
The players selected in the first round of the NFL draft Thursday night in Chicago:
- ABA team owner and envied dealmaker Ozzie Silna dies Updated: Apr-28-16 11:40 pm
LOS ANGELES - Ozzie Silna, who turned a fading American Basketball Association franchise into a four-decade windfall of nearly $800 million from the NBA in what's commonly called the greatest deal in sports history, has died at age 83.