- Relative: Family shot after offering help to stranded driver Updated: Jul-29-15 7:52 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - A man who was stopped along a road on Montana's Crow Indian Reservation gunned down a family who tried to help him Wednesday, killing the couple and wounding their daughter, a relative said.
- Medical examiner could've revoked job over infant autopsies Updated: Jul-28-15 4:36 pm
HELENA, Montana - Montana's former medical examiner had the authority to revoke the appointment of an associate who he complained continually ignored a directive not to perform autopsies on infants, state officials said.
- Northern Cheyenne tribe to look at sites along railroad path Updated: Jul-27-15 1:08 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - The Northern Cheyenne tribe is planning additional investigations of cultural sites along the path of a proposed railroad that would open new areas of southeastern Montana to large-scale coal mining.
- AP Exclusive: Teen's killing by friend goes to special jury Updated: Jul-25-15 3:53 am
BILLINGS, Montana - The parents of a Montana teenager who shot and killed a friend knocking on his bedroom window late at night say he shouldn't face criminal charges over what they describe as a tragic accident.
- 1 killed, 6 injured in rollover crash near Roundup Updated: Jul-23-15 11:53 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - A 31-year-old North Dakota woman was killed and six other people were injured in a single-vehicle rollover crash east of Roundup.
- Searchers find kayaker's body in Yellowstone River Updated: Jul-23-15 11:37 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - Searchers have found the body of a kayaker who capsized on the Yellowstone River near Forsyth.
- Father charged in son's shooting death Updated: Jul-23-15 10:01 am
BILLINGS, Montana - A 73-year-old man is facing a negligent homicide charge in his son's shooting death that court documents say occurred while the two were struggling over a gun.
- Roundup man killed in motorcycle wreck Updated: Jul-23-15 5:09 am
BILLINGS, Montana - The Carbon County sheriff says a man found dead after a motorcycle wreck near Roberts has been identified as a man reported missing after a motorcycle rally.
- Montana officials say dam, bypass best for imperiled fish Updated: Jul-22-15 3:55 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - A $59 million dam and fish bypass proposed on the Yellowstone River offers the best chance to save an endangered fish population that's long been blocked from its spawning grounds, a senior Montana official said Wednesday.
- Montana resort founder faces 3 months more in jail Updated: Jul-21-15 5:56 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - The jailed founder of Montana's Yellowstone Club faces three months more in custody barring a higher court's intervention after a judge scheduled an October trial in his civil contempt case.
- Shooting northeast of Billings leaves 1 person dead Updated: Jul-21-15 3:53 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - Yellowstone County authorities have arrested a 73-year-old man after a shooting left one person dead near Ballantine, about 20 miles northeast of Billings.
- Victims identified in Wyoming plane crash Updated: Jul-21-15 12:07 pm
CODY, Wyoming - Four people who died in a plane crash over the weekend in Wyoming have been identified.
- US government commits $30 million to rural Montana Internet Updated: Jul-21-15 11:13 am
BILLINGS, Montana - The U.S. Department of Agriculture has committed $30 million to improving high-speed Internet service in rural Montana.
- Colstrip awarded $500,000 for wastewater upgrades Updated: Jul-21-15 6:21 am
BILLINGS, Montana - The city of Colstrip has been awarded $500,000 to upgrade its wastewater treatment plant.
- Officials: Oil train didn't speed before Montana derailment Updated: Jul-20-15 7:34 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - A train that derailed and spilled 35,000 gallons of oil in northeastern Montana was traveling within authorized speed limits, federal officials said Monday as they continued to probe the accident's cause.
- Correction: Ranch Market story Updated: Jul-20-15 12:49 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - In a story July 18 about the sale of large recreation properties in Montana, The Associated Press reported erroneously the real estate agent listing three ranches for sale. They are listed by Bozeman brokerage Fay Ranches, not Hall & Hall.
- Child cancer clinic coming to Kalispell Updated: Jul-19-15 10:34 am
KALISPELL, Montana - A children's cancer clinic is being established in Kalispell so patients from western Montana can stay closer to home for most treatments.
- Renewable energy advocates say utility's fee is unfair Updated: Jul-16-15 7:33 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - A proposed fee for some Montana-Dakota Utilities customers who use their own wind or solar power has drawn opposition from renewable energy backers who say the company is trying to stifle small-scale electricity generation.
- Forest Service considers mining project near Yellowstone Updated: Jul-16-15 7:20 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - The U.S. Forest Service is considering a more stringent analysis of a mining proposal near Yellowstone National Park after receiving thousands of public comments on the 2,500-acre project, according to an agency spokeswoman.
- Man hit, killed by train while riding ATV across tracks Updated: Jul-16-15 1:12 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - An 80-year-old south-central Montana man has died after his all-terrain vehicle was struck by a train southwest of Billings.
- Inmates gain confidence, discipline through culinary arts Updated: Jul-16-15 5:06 am
BILLINGS, Montana - The women working and learning in the Culinary Arts Program at Passages Women's Center, a Billings prerelease program for female offenders, proved that life really can be a great big bowl of cherries.
- Fire damages Billings funeral home Updated: Jul-15-15 10:59 am
BILLINGS, Montana - Heat from a running crematorium furnace started a fire that caused about $100,000 in damage to a Billings Funeral Home.
- Young horse rescued from Bighorn River island dies Updated: Jul-15-15 9:40 am
BILLINGS, Montana - Animal care workers say a malnourished and dehydrated 1-month-old foal rescued last week has died.
- Crow Agency woman dies in crash near Lodge Grass Updated: Jul-14-15 5:59 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - An 18-year-old Crow Agency woman has died in a rollover crash north of Lodge Grass.
- Judge lets sheep graze in Montana despite wildlife worries Updated: Jul-13-15 6:54 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - More than 2,000 domestic sheep can continue to graze on U.S. Forest Service land in Montana's Gravelly Mountains after a federal judge denied a request from wildlife advocates to halt the practice.