- Toyota shows self-driving technology being readied for 2020 Updated: Oct-06-15 7:21 am
TOKYO - Toyota unveiled its vision for self-driving cars in a challenge to other automakers as well as industry newcomer Google Inc., promising to start selling such vehicles in Japan by 2020.
- Japan launches sports agency to boost athletic performance Updated: Oct-01-15 1:49 am
TOKYO - Japan has launched a new sports agency tasked with improving athletic performance ahead of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
- Tokyo recommends 5 additional sports for 2020 Olympics Updated: Sep-28-15 10:06 am
TOKYO - Baseball and softball were joined by youth-oriented sports such as surfing and skateboarding as Japanese organizers on Monday recommended five additional sports with 18 events for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
- When in Tokyo: Course teaches Japanese for business, travel Updated: Sep-27-15 9:28 am
LIHUE, Hawaii - If you're going to learn a second language, Japanese is going to be the most helpful if you're living in Hawaii.
- Japan's education minister to quit over Olympic woes Updated: Sep-24-15 10:50 pm
TOKYO - Japan's education minister, Hakubun Shimomura, has submitted his resignation due to troubles with planning for Tokyo's National Stadium, a main venue for the 2020 Olympic games.
- Belgian theater drops Japan Olympic logo case Updated: Sep-22-15 6:57 am
BRUSSELS - A theater in Belgium has dropped a plagiarism legal case over the design of a logo for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
- Kerber beats Gavrilova to reach Tokyo 2nd round Updated: Sep-22-15 4:10 am
TOKYO - Germany's Angelique Kerber advanced to the second round of the Tokyo Pan Pacific Open on Tuesday following a 6-2, 6-2 win over Daria Gavrilova of Russia.
- Police arrest Peruvian after 6 people found slain in Japan Updated: Sep-17-15 8:43 am
TOKYO - A man who threw himself out a second-story window as police pursued him is being investigated in the slayings of three people inside the house and three more this week in the neighborhood near Tokyo, police said Thursday.
- Annual Japan video game show opens with record exhibitors Updated: Sep-17-15 4:41 am
CHIBA, Japan - Japan's annual video game show opened Thursday with a record number of exhibitors, including independent companies and newcomers, a positive sign for an industry that has faced tough competition from games on social media and mobile devices.
- Japan to step up help for Vietnamese maritime security Updated: Sep-15-15 10:05 am
TOKYO - Japan said Tuesday it will give Vietnam used boats and other equipment to improve its maritime security capabilities as China asserts its territorial claims in regional seas.
- Strong earthquake jolts Tokyo; no tsunami risk or injuries Updated: Sep-11-15 9:18 pm
TOKYO - A strong earthquake shook Tokyo early Saturday morning, knocking books from shelves, but authorities said there was no risk of a tsunami.
- Japan book seller buys 90 percent of new Murakami release Updated: Sep-10-15 6:37 am
TOKYO - Best-selling Japanese novelist Haruki Murakami's latest book has gone on sale, with 90 percent of the release claimed by a single buyer.
- Plans for Tokyo Olympics marred by stadium mess, logo fuss Updated: Sep-09-15 3:50 am
TOKYO - Japan's ambitions for a trouble-free 2020 Tokyo Olympics to showcase the country's economic revival are facing an unexpected obstacle course as planners lurch from one fiasco to the next.