- Panama experts to recommend financial system cleanup Updated: Apr-29-16 9:28 pm
PANAMA CITY - Panama's government established a committee of independent experts Friday to make recommendations on cleaning up the country's financial system, after leaks of documents from a Panamanian law firm caused an international uproar over offshore accounts.
- Panama inks $2.6B financing deal with Japan for metro line Updated: Apr-20-16 7:32 pm
PANAMA CITY - Panama has signed a deal with Japan to secure $2.6 billion in financing for the construction of a third metro line in the Central American nation's capital.
- Panama takes reservations for transit through expanded canal Updated: Apr-18-16 8:34 pm
PANAMA CITY - The Panama Canal is taking reservations for ships to transit its new locks starting June 27, the day after the inauguration of a $5.25 billion project to double the waterway's capacity, authorities said Monday.
- Guatemala bank raid, probe target Venezuelan's account Updated: Apr-08-16 7:57 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - Guatemalan prosecutors raided the offices of a bank and froze some $20 million worth of the bank's shares on Friday as part of a money-laundering probe involving a Venezuelan man.
- Panama rejects money-launder label following documents leak Updated: Apr-05-16 4:24 pm
PANAMA CITY - Panamanians have long shrugged off their country's checkered reputation as a financial haven for drug lords, tax dodgers and corrupt oligarchs. They like to joke that if they're crooks, they've learned it from the world's wealthy nations.
- Panama lawyers at center of offshore scandal make odd couple Updated: Apr-04-16 8:58 pm
PANAMA CITY - The lawyers at the center of an uproar over the hidden financial dealings of the world's wealthy are an odd pairing of a German-born immigrant and a prize-winning Panamanian novelist whose books sometimes mirror the seedy world of politics he's come across in his work.