- California lawmakers weigh rules for medicinal pot shops Updated: May-02-15 8:50 pm
LOS ANGELES - The California Legislature is considering multiple - and conflicting - plans to impose the first major statewide restrictions on medical marijuana dispensaries and growers.
- Former Assembly speaker returns with ambitious tax overhaul Updated: May-02-15 12:32 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - His nicknames include Huggy, Herztie and Hugsberg, child-like monikers that when combined with his freshman status in the state Senate might make it seem Bob Hertzberg is a back-bencher.
- Judge hears argument over release of legislative calendars Updated: May-01-15 6:14 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Lawyers for the Legislature urged a judge Friday not to order the release of two former lawmakers' calendars and meeting schedules, arguing it would have a chilling effect on lawmakers and constituents seeking privacy to discuss important issues.
- Correction: Greenhouse Gases-California-Things to Know story Updated: Apr-30-15 8:38 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - In a story April 29 about Gov. Jerry Brown's new target for reducing carbon emissions, The Associated Press reported erroneously that California has cut its emissions to about 25 percent below 1990 levels. The state is on track to cut its emissions to 1990 levels by 2020 but does not plan to reduce emissions beyond that before 2020.
- Suspected marijuana grower fatally shot at wildlife refuge Updated: Apr-29-15 5:50 pm
ELK GROVE, California - A game warden shot and killed a suspected marijuana grower Wednesday at a federal wildlife refuge near Sacramento, authorities said.
- Drought: California governor seeks fine for water wasters Updated: Apr-29-15 6:05 am
SACRAMENTO, California - California businesses and residents that waste the most water as the state copes with a drought should face $10,000 fines, Gov. Jerry Brown said, as his administration rejected calls from cities to relax its mandatory water conservation targets.
- Suspect in woman's shooting arrested after 5-hour standoff Updated: Apr-27-15 11:08 pm
CARMICHAEL, California - A man suspected of shooting and critically wounding a woman surrendered Monday after a five-hour standoff during which he fired at Sacramento County sheriff's deputies, authorities said.
- 1 dead, 2 injured after Sunday police pursuit Updated: Apr-27-15 10:35 am
SACRAMENTO, California - One person is dead and two are seriously injured after a Sacramento police chase that ended with a crash.
- Critics take aim at Nestle bottled water plant in Sacramento Updated: Apr-27-15 10:20 am
SACRAMENTO, California - A plant that bottles Sacramento municipal water and sells it at a profit has been the target of criticism during the California drought.
- Developer, escrow officer indicted in $20M loan fraud scheme Updated: Apr-24-15 9:58 am
SACRAMENTO, California - Federal prosecutors say a Sacramento-area developer and an escrow officer have been indicted on multiple counts of fraud for a loan scheme that cheated three banks out of at least $20 million.
- McClatchy reports 1Q loss Updated: Apr-24-15 9:46 am
SACRAMENTO, California - McClatchy Co. (MNI) on Friday reported a loss of $11.3 million in its first quarter.
- Calif. woman dies after pedestrian stabs her from behind Updated: Apr-24-15 12:58 am
NORTH HIGHLANDS, California - Authorities say a Northern California woman died after a man she had approached slashed her throat from behind as she headed back to her vehicle.
- Correction: California Drought-Water Rates story Updated: Apr-23-15 2:25 pm
LOS ANGELES - In stories April 20-21 about a court ruling that found San Juan Capistrano's tiered water rates unconstitutional, The Associated Press reported erroneously that the decision by the 4th District Court of Appeal was only binding in Orange County. The ruling is binding statewide. However, appellate courts outside Orange County could rule differently and the state Supreme Court may ultimately decide the issue.
- Prison gets OK health grade as state seeks to end control Updated: Apr-22-15 8:22 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Medical programs at Folsom State Prison are receiving a passing grade from the state inspector general, bringing the state one small step closer to regaining control of its prison health care system.
- 4 killed in wrong-way crash on Sacramento freeway Updated: Apr-22-15 1:16 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Authorities say four people were killed in a wrong-way crash that blocked several lanes of a freeway in Sacramento.
- Second man convicted in 2013 attack outside Sacramento bar Updated: Apr-22-15 8:35 am
SACRAMENTO, California - One of two men accused of attacking bartenders following an altercation at a bar in Sacramento has been convicted of attempted murder.
- California delta smelt survey turns up only 1 fish Updated: Apr-19-15 5:11 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California's drought appears to be taking a toll on a threatened fish species.
- Body found on San Miguel Island is boater missing since 2014 Updated: Apr-18-15 2:35 pm
VENTURA, California - A severely decomposed body found last summer on San Miguel Island off the Central California coast has been identified as that of a missing Sacramento County boater.
- More changes likely for Kings after another losing season Updated: Apr-16-15 4:21 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A season that started out so promising for the Sacramento Kings ended the same way as the previous eight: out of the playoffs, with a losing record and looking for luck in the draft lottery.
- Kings beat Lakers 122-99, sending LA to worst season ever Updated: Apr-16-15 2:08 am
LOS ANGELES - The Los Angeles Lakers wrapped up the worst season in franchise history with an eight-man roster of castoffs and journeymen trudging to their eighth loss in nine games, never threatening to contend under all those gold championship banners hanging high above the Staples Center court.
- 5-year roadkill effort tracks California's deadliest roads Updated: Apr-15-15 4:37 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A new California roadkill report tags the San Francisco Bay Area as one of the deadliest traffic spots for wildlife.
- California lawmakers face second round in vaccine debate Updated: Apr-15-15 3:14 am
SACRAMENTO, California - State lawmakers are preparing for a second round of heated talks Wednesday on whether California should limit vaccination waivers for schoolchildren.
- With legalization possible, pot growers become lobbyists Updated: Apr-14-15 10:05 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California's marijuana farmers have existed in a legal gray area during the 18 years since the state became the first to allow residents to use the drug for medical purposes.
- Gay mentor, belief in dignity at roots of Kennedy's views Updated: Apr-14-15 11:43 am
SACRAMENTO, California - A long-held belief in the dignity of individuals and a close friendship with a closeted gay man in Sacramento could be at the root of Justice Anthony Kennedy's gay rights rulings on the Supreme Court.
- Casspi helps Kings beat Lakers 102-92 Updated: Apr-14-15 1:53 am
SACRAMENTO, California - The Los Angeles Lakers are one loss away from the worst season in franchise history.