- California high court questions Brown's prison measure Updated: May-05-16 3:26 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - California Supreme Court justices questioned Thursday whether Gov. Jerry Brown made sweeping changes to an existing ballot proposal that shortchanged voters in his bid to put his plan to reduce the state's prison population on the November ballot.
- Man walks away from wreck on I-5 to be hit, killed by truck Updated: May-05-16 10:19 am
SACRAMENTO, California - A man was hit and killed by a big rig on Interstate 5 in Sacramento County after surviving an earlier crash.
- California hunter convicted of 'baiting' mourning doves Updated: May-05-16 12:58 am
FRESNO, California - A federal jury in Sacramento has found a Northern California man guilty of violating the Migratory Bird Treaty Act by baiting a field for hunting purposes.
- 4 arrested in connection with Sacramento robbery, shooting Updated: May-04-16 9:26 am
SACRAMENTO, California - Authorities have arrested two men on suspicion of murder after a deadly home invasion robbery in Sacramento County.
- Drought-stricken California boosts conservation for March Updated: May-03-16 7:28 pm
FRESNO, California - Residents of drought-stricken California doubled their water conservation efforts in March compared with the month before by turning off their sprinklers when the rain fell and changing habits, officials said Tuesday.
- Sacramento man pursued, detained by out-of-town officers Updated: May-03-16 9:41 am
SACRAMENTO, California - Off-duty officers visiting Sacramento detained a local man after they say they witnessed an assault.
- Wildfires cause dip in new California housing units Updated: May-02-16 7:14 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The number of new housing units in California declined last year for the first time since the start of the economic recovery, due mostly to wildfires that scorched more than 2,000 homes, state officials reported Monday.
- Giants call up Mac Williamson with Angel Pagan injured Updated: May-02-16 7:01 pm
- Toddler dies after being hit by truck in Sacramento Updated: May-02-16 4:12 am
SACRAMENTO, California - Authorities say a toddler has died after being struck by a box truck in the parking lot of a Sacramento apartment complex.
- Man to serve 3 years in prison for burning puppy alive Updated: Apr-30-16 3:50 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A judge has sentenced a Northern California man to three years and eight months in state prison for burning his weeks-old Chihuahua dog alive.
- Olympic weightlifting champion Tommy Kono dies in Hawaii Updated: Apr-30-16 2:36 am
HONOLULU - Tommy Kono, who took up weightlifting in an internment camp for Japanese-Americans and went on to win two Olympic gold medals for the United States, has died. He was 85.
- California media specialist, Republican aide dies at age 38 Updated: Apr-29-16 9:28 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Julie Soderlund, a California communications strategist and aide to high-ranking Republicans including former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, died Thursday at the age of 38 after a nine-month battle with cancer.
- High-speed rail board approves revised California plan Updated: Apr-28-16 8:00 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The board that oversees California's high-speed rail project approved a revised $64 billion plan Thursday that calls for the train to go from the Central Valley to the San Jose area before it heads to Southern California, acknowledging the political reality that federal and private financing has fallen far short of what backers had hoped.
- The Latest: High-speed rail board approves revised plan Updated: Apr-28-16 7:31 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The Latest on a California board meeting to discuss the revised high-speed rail plan (all times local):
- Kings hire Catanella as assistant general manager Updated: Apr-28-16 7:13 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The Sacramento Kings have hired Ken Catanella as assistant general manager.
- Thunderstorms bring hail, snow to Northern California Updated: Apr-27-16 9:01 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Afternoon thunderstorms packed with hail and snow are moving through Northern California, pelting people with grape-size hail and dusting the Sierra Nevada with light snow.
- Sacramento man found guilty of murder in death of wife, sons Updated: Apr-27-16 10:25 am
SACRAMENTO, California - A Sacramento man has been found guilty of murder for killing his wife and two sons in 2010.
- 14 people fatally overdose on 'painkiller' in California Updated: Apr-26-16 7:58 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Fourteen people in the Sacramento, California, area have fatally overdosed on a pill disguised as a popular painkiller, and now the drug has turned up in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- The Latest: Candidates for US Senate meet for first debate Updated: Apr-26-16 12:12 am
STOCKTON, California - The Latest on the U.S. Senate debate (all times local):
- The Latest: Northern California gets rain Updated: Apr-22-16 12:48 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The Latest on California's late-season storm (all times local):
- California man arrested after taking car with kids inside Updated: Apr-22-16 10:57 am
SACRAMENTO, California - A 29-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of kidnapping two children who were left in a vehicle for a few moments while their mother was in a store.
- St Louis, Sacramento among leading MLS expansion candidates Updated: Apr-21-16 8:57 pm
NEW YORK - Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber called St. Louis and Sacramento, California, "front-runners" for the next round of expansion, which could occur as soon as 2020.
- California-based US attorney resigns before Obama departs Updated: Apr-20-16 8:12 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A California-based federal prosecutor whose office secured multi-billion dollar settlements after the housing meltdown announced Wednesday that he is resigning as President Barack Obama's administration begins to wind down.
- AP Sources: Kings to interview Del Negro, Jackson, Mitchell Updated: Apr-20-16 12:30 am
The Sacramento Kings are starting the search for yet another head coach with three candidates who have extensive experience in the head chair.
- Board backs tougher penalties in California training scandal Updated: Apr-19-16 8:35 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California's firefighting agency can twice demote three state firefighters who cheated to get jobs and promotions at a training academy that was rocked by an ethics scandal, a state appeals board said in a decision made public Tuesday.