- Raimondo attends San Francisco fundraiser Updated: May-06-16 1:42 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island Gov. Gina Raimondo fit a campaign fundraiser into her official trade trip to California.
- Penguin that wore a wetsuit and starred in kid's book dies Updated: May-06-16 1:24 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A San Francisco penguin that once sported a wetsuit after losing his feathers and who starred in a children's book has died at the age of 33, officials said this week.
- In California, couple's return to meat sparks vegan uproar Updated: May-06-16 12:32 pm
LOS ANGELES - At the Cafe Gratitude restaurant chain in California, waiters serve plates of vegan rice bowls, vegetable pizzas and tempeh sandwiches with names such as "Gracious," ''Warm-Hearted" and "Magical."
- Meals-on-Wheels van carjacked, flips over on highway Updated: May-06-16 10:49 am
FREMONT, California - A Meals-on-Wheels truck was carjacked in the San Francisco Bay Area Thursday leading to a police pursuit and the ultimate damage of the vehicle when it flipped over on a freeway.
- Cain allows 8 runs in Giants' 17-7 loss to the Rockies Updated: May-06-16 3:19 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Matt Cain is frustrated but confident he's still capable of pitching at a high level.
- Rockies score 13 times in fifth, beat Giants 17-7 Updated: May-06-16 3:06 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Trevor Story had no idea he was sparking a record-setting effort when he led off the fifth inning with a home run.
- Former US attorney tapped to investigate UC Davis chancellor Updated: May-05-16 1:56 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - University of California President Janet Napolitano has retained the former chief federal prosecutor for Northern California to lead an investigation into whether the chancellor of UC Davis violated university conflict-of-interest and ethics policies.
- Correction: California Marijuana Legalization story Updated: May-05-16 1:17 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - In a story May 4 about a campaign to legalize marijuana in California, The Associated Press misspelled the surname of the state's lieutenant governor in one reference. He is Gavin Newsom, not Newson.
- Protesters disrupt San Francisco police commission meeting Updated: May-05-16 12:11 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Dozens of protesters disrupted a San Francisco police committee meeting a day after hundreds marched on City Hall in support of five hunger strikers demanding the dismissal of the city's police chief.
- Man atop train in San Jose fouling up morning commute Updated: May-05-16 10:18 am
SAN JOSE, California - Authorities say service on a light rail system south of San Francisco is severely delayed Thursday morning due to an overnight standoff with a man who climbed on top of a train and has refused to come down.
- The Latest: Doctor called to help Prince is pain specialist Updated: May-05-16 12:36 am
MILL VALLEY, California - The Latest on Dr. Howard Kornfeld, an addiction and pain specialist, who was asked to help Prince before his death (all times local):
- The Latest: Pot legalization backers tout safety message Updated: May-04-16 6:07 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The Latest on a marijuana legalization initiative proposed for the November ballot (all times local):
- Reds hit 4 homers in 7-4 win over Giants, avoiding sweep Updated: May-04-16 4:41 pm
CINCINNATI - Two days off did not slow down Zack Cozart.
- 49ers sign linebacker Michael Wilhoite to one-year deal Updated: May-04-16 3:20 pm
SANTA CLARA, California - Linebacker Michael Wilhoite signed a one-year deal with the San Francisco 49ers on Wednesday, nearly two months after the restricted free agent was tendered a contract.
- San Francisco officials save backyard pine tree from the ax Updated: May-04-16 4:00 am
SAN FRANCISCO - A spindly pine tree standing all alone in a tiny backyard became an official landmark Tuesday in San Francisco, a city that boasts such picturesque sights as the Golden Gate Bridge and Fisherman's Wharf.
- San Francisco OKs settlement after deadly 2013 airport crash Updated: May-03-16 7:15 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - San Francisco city leaders have approved a $3.45 million settlement from Asiana Airlines involving a fiery 2013 airport crash that killed three people and injured nearly 200 others.
- The Latest: San Francisco protects disputed tree in backyard Updated: May-03-16 5:38 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The Latest on the landmark status of a tree in a San Francisco backyard (all times local):
- Ex-49er Stubblefield denies sexually assaulting woman Updated: May-03-16 5:14 pm
SAN JOSE, California - A former San Francisco 49er defensive lineman charged with raping a developmentally delayed woman denied the charges Tuesday, saying the episode was a consensual encounter with a mentally competent woman who asked for money and a job afterward.
- Whittemore finishes sentence in San Francisco halfway house Updated: May-03-16 3:26 pm
RENO, Nevada - Former Nevada lobbyist Harvey Whittemore is a free man after spending 21 months of a two-year prison term in federal custody for breaking campaign contribution laws.
- Solar plane on global trip arrives in Arizona Updated: May-03-16 1:04 am
GOODYEAR, Arizona - A solar-powered airplane landed in suburban Phoenix Monday night after a daylong flight from California - the latest leg in its around the world journey using only energy from the sun.
- Ex-49er Dana Stubblefield charged with raping disabled woman Updated: May-02-16 10:59 pm
SAN JOSE, California - Former San Francisco 49er Dana Stubblefield was charged Monday with the rape of a "developmentally delayed" woman, prosecutors announced.
- The Latest: Ex-49er Dana Stubblefield denies raping woman Updated: May-02-16 10:38 pm
SAN JOSE, California - The Latest on the rape charges against former San Francisco 49er Dana Stubblefield (all times local):
- Wildfires cause dip in new California housing units Updated: May-02-16 7:14 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The number of new housing units in California declined last year for the first time since the start of the economic recovery, due mostly to wildfires that scorched more than 2,000 homes, state officials reported Monday.
- Reno doctor accused in drug ring appears in CA court Updated: May-02-16 7:05 pm
RENO, Nevada - A Reno doctor accused of running an illegal drug ring out of his family practice has made his initial appearance in federal court in San Francisco.
- Giants call up Mac Williamson with Angel Pagan injured Updated: May-02-16 7:01 pm