- Pro teams push California to offer high-stakes raffles Updated: Aug-29-15 11:06 am
SACRAMENTO, California - The pitch is for charity, but the call could favor California's professional sports teams.
- Cardinals rally, lose in ninth on Tomlinson winning single Updated: Aug-29-15 2:17 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Michael Wacha is never surprised that the St. Louis Cardinals find a way to come back even if behind big early.
- Tomlinson lines game-winning single as Giants beat Cardinals Updated: Aug-29-15 2:02 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Rookie Kelby Tomlinson has been called upon out of necessity for the injury-plagued Giants, and he keeps delivering. Veteran Marlon Byrd has been called upon for big moments like this down the stretch, and is doing his part since coming to San Francisco this month in a trade from the Cincinnati Reds.
- Ex Red Hot Chili Peppers bandmate's stolen guitar found Updated: Aug-29-15 12:22 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Police in San Francisco have recovered a guitar owned by a former member of the Red Hot Chili Peppers two weeks before it was to be loaned to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
- Cardinals put closer Trevor Rosenthal on paternity list Updated: Aug-28-15 10:15 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - St. Louis Cardinals closer Trevor Rosenthal was put on the paternity leave list Friday as the club opened a weekend series at San Francisco.
- Task force: Community college accreditor should be dropped Updated: Aug-28-15 8:34 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A California community college task force is recommending the system's Board of Governors drop its regional accrediting agency after consistently failing to address calls for reform.
- Giants put RHP Cain on 15-day DL with elbow nerve irritation Updated: Aug-28-15 8:20 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Giants right-hander Matt Cain has gone on the 15-day disabled list with irritation in his pitching elbow and received a cortisone injection to help it calm down.
- Immigrant suspect faces tough battle fighting murder charge Updated: Aug-28-15 7:04 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Even if the suspect at the center of a national immigration debate accidentally fired the shot that killed a young woman on San Francisco's Pier 14, it may not help his case.
- Twitter sets modest goals to diversity its workforce Updated: Aug-28-15 5:58 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Twitter is setting modest goals to diversify its workforce while it fights a proposed class-action lawsuit that says the online messaging service discriminates against its female employees.
- Historic Marin County mansion sells for $47.5M Updated: Aug-28-15 5:48 pm
BELVEDERE, California - A turn-of-the-century Marin County mansion has sold for $47.5 million.
- Attorney: Robin Williams' bikes are an issue in estate fight Updated: Aug-28-15 3:19 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A legal fight over late actor Robin Williams' possessions includes his large bicycle collection, artwork, books and other items worth millions of dollars, an attorney for his widow said Friday.
- Tomlinson hits grand slam for 1st MLB HR, Giants beat Cubs Updated: Aug-27-15 6:52 pm
- Correction: Murder Exonerations-Lawsuits story Updated: Aug-27-15 6:50 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - In a story Aug. 26 about lawsuits by two exonerated murder defendants, The Associated Press reported erroneously the name of one of the sheriff's investigators accused of withholding evidence. His name is Gilbert Parra, not Eric Parra.
- Judge won't toss charges in Chinatown racketeering case Updated: Aug-27-15 4:00 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A federal judge refused Thursday to throw out a racketeering case against a man arrested in a money laundering and corruption probe centered in San Francisco's Chinatown that also led to charges against a California state senator.
- Apple schedules new product event for Sept. 9 Updated: Aug-27-15 3:39 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Apple has announced plans for a new product event on Sept. 9 in San Francisco, where the giant tech company is expected to show off new iPhones and other gadgets.
- Sharks, skateboards, survival debut on Discovery VR network Updated: Aug-27-15 12:55 pm
LOS ANGELES - Discovery is unleashing the first videos for its virtual reality network, Discovery VR, a fledgling service that is testing the limits and capabilities of the immersive format.
- Former broadcaster in TV shooting was a volatile, angry man Updated: Aug-27-15 4:38 am
Even after gunning down a TV news reporter and cameraman during a live interview, Vester Lee Flanagan II continued to rage. But after a volatile career that had seen him fired at least twice for clashing with co-workers who recall him as an off-kilter loner, this would be the former broadcaster's last, brutal sign-off.
- Another law enforcement officer gun stolen in the Bay Area Updated: Aug-26-15 11:04 pm
HAYWAYRD, California - Authorities say a Hayward police officer's gun was stolen during a car burglary in Oakland, marking at least the third such theft in the Bay Area in recent months.
- Grand jury indicts former 49er Ray McDonald on rape charge Updated: Aug-26-15 9:26 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A Santa Clara County grand jury indicted former San Francisco 49ers defensive lineman Ray McDonald on one count of rape of an intoxicated person.
- Bill requires prosecution of transferred immigrants Updated: Aug-26-15 9:07 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Seeking to prevent another tragedy like the July killing of a woman on a San Francisco pier, Republican state lawmakers on Wednesday proposed legislation that would prevent California cities from accepting federal transfers of immigrant prisoners unless local prosecutors commit to pursuing felony charges.
- In TV shooting, a volatile, angry man 'waiting to go BOOM' Updated: Aug-26-15 9:00 pm
Long before he filmed himself gunning down a TV reporter and cameraman during a live broadcast Wednesday, the man identified as the killer traced a twisted and volatile career path that saw him fired from at least two stations for conflicts with co-workers, leaving memories of an "off-kilter" loner easily angered by office humor.
- Cain loses third straight decision, Giants fall to Cubs Updated: Aug-26-15 3:23 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Matt Cain is closer to 100 losses than 100 wins and hasn't had a winning season since helping the San Francisco Giants win the 2012 World Series title.
- Drought-plagued California readies for El Nino storms Updated: Aug-26-15 2:09 am
SANTA ANA, California - While drought-plagued California is eager for rain, the forecast of a potentially Godzilla-like El Nino event has communities clearing out debris basins, urging residents to stock up on emergency supplies and even talking about how a deluge could affect the 50th Super Bowl.
- Tourist shot during robbery, 2 suspects in custody in SF Updated: Aug-26-15 12:59 am
SAN FRANCISCO - San Francisco police say two suspects have been arrested in the mugging and shooting of a tourist who was attacked in the Russian Hill neighborhood, known for its iconic winding stretch of Lombard Street.
- AP source: Cowboys' Scandrick out for year with knee injury Updated: Aug-26-15 12:42 am
Orlando Scandrick's season is over before it started after the Dallas cornerback tore two ligaments in his right knee in practice at training camp Tuesday.