- Special election in New York City for Grimm, Assembly seats Updated: May-05-15 2:20 am
NEW YORK - A high-profile congressional seat is up for grabs as voters in Staten Island and certain sections of Brooklyn on Tuesday take part in a special election.
- Retired jail guard cleared in fatal NYC subway shooting Updated: May-04-15 10:19 pm
NEW YORK - The Brooklyn district attorney has decided not to file charges against a retired correction officer who fatally shot a man during a confrontation at a subway station.
- 'Exceptional' NYPD officer dies from gunshot wound to head Updated: May-04-15 8:08 pm
NEW YORK - A 25-year-old police officer shot in the head while attempting to stop a man suspected of carrying a handgun died Monday from his injuries, the third New York City officer slain on duty in five months.
- Special election in New York City for Grimm, Assembly seats Updated: May-04-15 4:13 pm
NEW YORK - Voters in Staten Island and certain sections of Brooklyn are getting another chance to make their political preferences known as a special election is held Tuesday to fill a vacancy in the state Assembly and another in Congress after a Republican's tax evasion conviction.
- 3 congregants killed in semi, church van crash identified Updated: May-04-15 10:38 am
WAWARSING, New York - State police have identified three congregants of a New York City church who were killed when a tractor-trailer slammed into the van they were riding in after attending a religious retreat.
- 3 Brooklyn church members killed in upstate NY van crash Updated: May-03-15 6:02 pm
WAWARSING, New York - Three members of a church in Brooklyn were killed when the van they were riding in was struck by a tractor trailer in upstate New York.
- Nets end disappointing season without clear way to improve Updated: May-02-15 3:08 pm
NEW YORK - Mikhail Prokhorov arrived from Russia as Nets owner in 2010, vowing a championship in five years or he would get married.
- Hawks beat Nets 111-87 to wrap up series in Game 6 Updated: May-01-15 11:51 pm
NEW YORK - Being tied after four games of the first round brought out the best in the Atlanta Hawks.
- Girl seriously hurt in NYC dirt bike crash; driver sought Updated: May-01-15 11:03 pm
NEW YORK - Police are looking for a dirt bike driver who left his 14-year-old passenger lying seriously wounded on a New York street after colliding with a car.
- Worker rescued from trench in Brooklyn Updated: May-01-15 10:23 am
NEW YORK - Firefighters have rescued a construction worker from a trench in Brooklyn.
- Horford, Teague help Hawks hold off Nets 107-97 for 3-2 lead Updated: Apr-29-15 11:21 pm
ATLANTA - Al Horford banged his dislocated finger and spent much of the game fiddling with it. Jeff Teague twisted his right ankle and hobbled to the locker room for a quick tape job.
- Dispute outside church leaves 2 fatally shot, 4 injured Updated: Apr-28-15 5:43 pm
NEW YORK - A long-running feud between two men ended in bloodshed when a gunfight broke out at a wake in Brooklyn, leaving one of them dead, police said Tuesday.
- New York Islanders are Brooklyn-bound following Game 7 loss Updated: Apr-28-15 4:59 pm
It's time for the New York Islanders to lower the Hall of Fame and Stanley Cup banners from the rafters, and pack up their pucks and sticks.
- Miss Piggy is recipient of prestigious New York museum award Updated: Apr-28-15 10:28 am
NEW YORK - A prestigious award from the Brooklyn Museum honors women who have made outstanding contributions in their fields.
- Currie named to replace Lynch in Eastern District Updated: Apr-27-15 1:47 pm
NEW YORK - The federal prosecutor post vacated by Attorney General Loretta Lynch has been filled by her chief assistant.
- Daily News delivery truck driver dies in NYC car collision Updated: Apr-26-15 11:13 am
NEW YORK - A Brooklyn man driving a Daily News delivery truck has died after a collision with another vehicle at a Brooklyn intersection.
- Islanders beat Capitals 3-1 to force Game 7 Updated: Apr-25-15 7:54 pm
UNIONDALE, New York - Islanders captain John Tavares was still attempting to gather his bearings after being leveled in the corner, when he heard the familiar - and welcome - roar go up inside the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum for what could be the last time.
- Chokehold case questions follow NY congressional candidate Updated: Apr-25-15 12:47 pm
NEW YORK - Even if Dan Donovan prefers to talk about Iran, immigration or taxes, there's another topic the Republican congressional hopeful can't avoid: the death of Eric Garner at the hands of a police officer.
- Lynch to be sworn in as attorney general on Monday Updated: Apr-24-15 1:39 pm
WASHINGTON - As attorney general Loretta Lynch assumes a portfolio that includes fighting terrorism, preventing cyberattacks and dealing with police and race - issues strikingly similar to what she's dealt with as top federal prosecutor for much of New York City and its eastern suburbs.
- Activist swimmer sets sights on another polluted waterway Updated: Apr-24-15 11:49 am
NEW YORK - The clean-water advocate who took an Earth Day swim in the Gowanus (goh-WAH'-nuhs) Canal is now setting his sights on another highly polluted New York City waterway.
- Police: Pit bull attacks NYPD stallion while on patrol Updated: Apr-23-15 3:27 am
NEW YORK - A New York Police Department stallion is recovering after it was attacked by a pit bull in Brooklyn.
- Clean-water advocate takes Earth Day swim at Superfund site Updated: Apr-23-15 12:04 am
NEW YORK - A clean-water advocate took an Earth Day swim in the polluted Gowanus Canal, a federal Superfund site.
- NYC man charged with robbery as a hate crime Updated: Apr-21-15 12:31 pm
NEW YORK - Authorities say a New York City man is charged with robbery as a hate crime after he allegedly targeted six women of Chinese descent.
- NY Islanders, fans count down final days on Long Island Updated: Apr-20-15 2:26 am
UNIONDALE, New York - For loyal fans of the New York Islanders, this year's playoff run is tinged with even more of a sense of finality, and yes, sadness. Win or lose, these will be the last games for Long Island's only major professional sports franchise before it moves to Brooklyn next season.
- Hillary's Brooklyn: Clinton HQ choice hits populist vibe Updated: Apr-19-15 11:35 am
NEW YORK - The 19-story office building rises unassumingly from downtown Brooklyn, its upper floors offering sweeping views of the bustling streets below, the iconic nearby Manhattan skyline and the famed bridges that span the East River.