- Asheville Regional Airport to conduct emergency exercise Updated: May-28-15 6:53 am
ASHEVILLE, North Carolina - Officials at Asheville Regional Airport have scheduled an emergency training exercise and are warning commuters of emergency vehicles in the area.
- Bill raising NC graffiti punishment gets Senate's initial OK Updated: May-26-15 6:41 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Tougher penalties for people who spray-paint or scribble on public or private property in North Carolina is nearing Gov. Pat McCrory's desk.
- Police: Fatal shooting at Asheville nightclub Updated: May-24-15 3:08 pm
ASHEVILLE, North Carolina - Authorities say someone has been shot to death inside a nightclub in Asheville.
- Ex-officer sentenced for having sex with 15-year-old student Updated: May-23-15 12:19 pm
BRYSON CITY, North Carolina - A 32-year-old former resource officer in Swain County schools has pleaded guilty to having sex with a 15-year-old student.
- 150-pound black bear breaks in to Asheville home Updated: May-21-15 4:47 am
ASHEVILLE, North Carolina - Authorities say a 150-pound black bear crawled through an open window and into a home in an Asheville neighborhood before wandering off.
- Faulty concrete halts work on downtown Asheville project Updated: May-20-15 3:54 pm
ASHEVILLE, North Carolina - A $14 million project in downtown Asheville scheduled for completion this spring remains unfinished, and engineers say faulty concrete slabs will likely have to be removed.
- Work to slow I-40 traffic in Haywood County in May, June Updated: May-20-15 5:07 am
MAGGIE VALLEY, North Carolina - Officials say Interstate 40 will be narrowed to two lanes in northern Haywood County for construction work this week.
- Duke plans to build natural gas-fired plant in Asheville Updated: May-19-15 12:51 pm
ASHEVILLE, North Carolina - Duke Energy said Tuesday it will build a $750 million natural gas plant to replace its troubled coal-fired Asheville plant as the company turns to cleaner energy to generate electricity.
- Duke plans to build natural gas-fired plant in Asheville Updated: May-19-15 12:50 pm
ASHEVILLE, North Carolina - Duke Energy says it will build a $750 million natural gas plant to replace its troubled coal-fired Asheville plant as the company turns to cleaner energy to generate electricity.
- Rainfall scarce in western North Carolina; no drought yet Updated: May-19-15 12:38 pm
ASHEVILLE, North Carolina - It is too soon to worry about a drought even though rainfall has been below normal in western North Carolina since November, officials said.
- Asheville police wrote 482 tickets without calibrated radar Updated: May-15-15 3:11 pm
ASHEVILLE, North Carolina - An audit has found Asheville Police wrote nearly 500 speeding tickets using radar guns that were not calibrated.
- Prosecutors: Duke Energy could have avoided Dan River spill Updated: May-14-15 10:55 pm
GREENVILLE, North Carolina - As Duke Energy pleaded guilty Thursday in a North Carolina courtroom to nine criminal violations of the federal Clean Water Act, federal prosecutors recounted examples where time and again the nation's largest electricity company failed to prevent its illegal pollution.
- Official: Man in standoff fired at agent in Rudolph manhunt Updated: May-14-15 2:30 pm
MURPHY, North Carolina - The U.S. Marshals Service says a man who once fired a rifle at a federal agent during the search for serial bomber Eric Rudolph is in custody following a standoff in western North Carolina.
- Western Carolina University fraternity under investigation Updated: May-14-15 6:46 am
CULLOWHEE, North Carolina - Members of a Western Carolina University fraternity chapter that was suspended last month amid hazing allegations are under investigation for an alleged assault that injured a student.
- Asheville City Council to consider body cameras for police Updated: May-12-15 4:04 am
ASHEVILLE, North Carolina - The Asheville City Council is scheduled to vote on buying body cameras for the police department.
- 2 people suspected in heavy equipment theft sought Updated: May-08-15 3:47 am
WAYNESVILLE, North Carolina - Haywood County sheriff's deputies are seeking two people suspected of stealing and trading heavy equipment in North Carolina and surrounding states.
- Masked suspect robs grocery store of $15,000 Updated: May-08-15 3:46 am
ASHEVILLE, North Carolina - Asheville police are looking for a suspect they say robbed a grocery store with a gun and got away with $15,000.
- Police seek armed robber who go away with $15K from store Updated: May-07-15 2:28 pm
ARDEN, North Carolina - Asheville police are looking for a suspect who they say got away with $15,000 in the armed robbery of a grocery store.
- Police accuse man of breaking into same church twice Updated: May-06-15 4:04 pm
ASHEVILLE, North Carolina - Authorities are accusing a Candler man of breaking into an Asheville church twice and stealing cash and electronics.
- Asheville's River Arts District: Wander amid art and artists Updated: May-05-15 5:54 pm
ASHEVILLE, North Carolina - Many cities have transformed their old industrial zones into attractive neighborhoods for recreation, shopping and new small businesses. Nowhere has this trend come to life more gloriously than in the River Arts District in Asheville, North Carolina.
- School suspends reading of 'The Kite Runner' until review Updated: May-03-15 12:16 pm
ASHEVILLE, North Carolina - An Asheville high school has suspended reading of the bestselling book "The Kite Runner" in an honors English class after a complaint form parent who's also a former school board member.