- Bangladesh jails 2 Hindu teachers for insulting Islam Updated: Apr-27-16 2:34 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - A court has jailed two teachers in southern Bangladesh for making derogatory comments about Islam and the Prophet Muhammad, invoking a rare law from the British colonial era that makes insulting any religion a crime.
- Al-Qaida says it killed Bangladesh gay activist, friend Updated: Apr-26-16 3:06 pm
NEW DELHI - The Bangladeshi branch of al-Qaida claimed responsibility Tuesday for the killing of a gay rights activist and his friend, undermining the prime minister's insistence just hours earlier that her political opponents were to blame for the attack and for a rising tide of violence against secular activists and writers.
- 2 men including USAID employee killed in Bangladesh Updated: Apr-25-16 7:15 pm
NEW DELHI - Unidentified assailants fatally stabbed two men in Bangladesh's capital Monday night, including a gay rights activist who also worked for the U.S. Agency for International Development, police said, in the latest in a series of attacks targeting atheists, moderates and foreigners.
- Journalist close to opposition detained in Bangladesh Updated: Apr-17-16 5:44 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - Police in Bangladesh questioned a prominent journalist and close aide of opposition leader and ex-Prime Minister Khaleda Zia over the weekend for his alleged role in a conspiracy to kidnap the only son of the current prime minister.
- Bangladesh closing notorious 18th-century prison in Dhaka Updated: Apr-11-16 5:24 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - Bangladesh is closing its notorious 18th-century prison where sensational political killings over decades have targeted people on both sides of the South Asian country's 1971 war for independence from Pakistan.
- Recent attacks claimed by radical Islamists in Bangladesh Updated: Apr-08-16 1:08 am
NEW DELHI - The hacking and shooting to death of a student activist in Bangladesh has renewed international concern that advocates of secularism and free speech are unsafe in the mostly Muslim nation.
- Bangladesh man found in Pakistan jail dies 4 years later Updated: Apr-07-16 8:23 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - A man who returned to Bangladesh four years ago from a Pakistani prison, where he spent 15 years on suspicion of being an Indian spy, died Thursday, his family said. He was 56.
- Bangladesh failing to spare millions from arsenic poisoning Updated: Apr-06-16 11:19 am
KHIRDASDI, Bangladesh - For more than two decades, Nasima Begum and her family have been drawing water from a well painted red to warn Bangladeshi villagers that it's tainted by arsenic. They know they're slowly poisoning themselves.
- Bangladesh opposition leader, ex-PM Zia gets bail in 5 cases Updated: Apr-05-16 10:34 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - Former Prime Minister Khaleda Zia secured bail in a sedition case and four graft cases after she appeared in five separate courts in Bangladesh's capital.