- Rio Olympic golf course handed over to games organizers Updated: Nov-22-15 12:42 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Rio de Janeiro's Olympic golf course - slowed by environmental lawsuits, land ownership disputes and doubts it even needed to be built - was handed over Sunday to organizers of next year's games.
- Mayor trusts Rio Olympic security, but says 'have to worry' Updated: Nov-21-15 1:06 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Mayor Eduardo Paes expressed confidence Saturday in security for next year's Rio de Janeiro Olympics, but was also cautious in the wake of the attacks in Paris just over a week ago.
- Mitchell has 25 points, No. 7 Ohio State beats Belmont 84-56 Updated: Nov-19-15 10:28 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Kelsey Mitchell had 25 points and six assists and No. 7 Ohio State beat Belmont 84-56 on Thursday for its first victory of the season.
- Corinthians claim 6th Brazil title with draw against Vasco Updated: Nov-19-15 10:25 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Vagner Love headed in a late goal to help Corinthians claim a sixth Brazilian league with three games to play after a 1-1 draw against Vasco da Gama on Thursday.
- Brazil police probing mob killing in Rio's Ipanema Updated: Nov-16-15 10:34 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - Rio de Janeiro police say they are investigating the apparent mob killing of a 33-year-old ice vendor in the heart of the Olympic city's Ipanema neighborhood.
- IOC's Bach confident in Rio security after Paris attacks Updated: Nov-15-15 4:35 pm
LONDON - IOC President Thomas Bach expressed confidence Sunday in the ability of Brazilian authorities to protect next year's Olympics in Rio de Janeiro in the wake of the deadly terrorist attacks in Paris.
- Bach: Russia can only return if compliant with global rules Updated: Nov-15-15 3:13 pm
LONDON - Russia's track and field athletes will be eligible for the Olympics only if the country falls into line with all global anti-doping rules and the reforms are verifiable, IOC President Thomas Bach said Sunday in an interview with The Associated Press.
- Rio Olympic organizers confirm football schedule Updated: Nov-10-15 12:56 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The opening football match for the Olympic men's tournament will be in Brasilia on Aug. 4, a day before the opening ceremony for the Rio de Janeiro Games.
- Brazil project aims to save endangered indigenous languages Updated: Nov-06-15 1:53 pm
PALMAS, Brazil - Guaricema Pataxo's indigenous roots are the cornerstone of her identity. The 53-year-old great-grandmother lives on her Pataxo people's reservation and makes a living by hawking their handicrafts, fully decked out in traditional regalia.
- VP Joe Biden apologizes to Olympic assembly for 'oversight' Updated: Oct-30-15 3:43 pm
WASHINGTON - Conspicuously absent the previous day, Vice President Joe Biden dropped in on a global Olympic meeting Friday and gave an impromptu plug for Los Angeles' bid for the 2024 Games.
- Brazil, EU reach agreement on Olympic horses Updated: Oct-30-15 2:21 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil and the European Union have reached a sanitary agreement that removes the last big hurdle for equestrian events at the next Olympic Games, the head of the country's Olympic Public Authority said Friday.
- IOC: Refugees eligible to compete in Olympics for 1st time Updated: Oct-26-15 11:34 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Highly qualified athletes who are refugees will be allowed to compete in the Olympic Games for the first time, the president of the International Olympic Committee announced Monday.