- Rio environmental official takes dip in polluted bay Updated: May-04-15 4:06 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - A Brazilian state environmental secretary has plunged into the polluted waters of Guanabara Bay as part of a televised stunt meant to assuage worries about health risks faced by sailors competing in the 2016 Olympics.
- Vasco da Gama beats Botafogo 2-1 to win Rio state title Updated: May-03-15 7:59 pm
SAO PAULO - Striker Gilberto scored in second-half injury time to help Vasco da Gama defeat Botafogo 2-1 to win its first Rio de Janeiro state title in 12 years on Sunday.
- Pacifying police move into violent Rio slum, replacing army Updated: May-01-15 1:23 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Rio de Janeiro's state government says police have begun replacing the soldiers stationed as a "pacifying force" in part of the sprawling Mare slum.
- World Surf League nixes polluted Rio beach for competition Updated: Apr-29-15 5:13 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - A sewage-filled Rio de Janeiro beach has been removed from the list of venues for an upcoming surfing competition in the city, the World Surf League said Wednesday.
- Volleyball and soccer top list of preferred Olympic tickets Updated: Apr-28-15 5:19 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Rio's Olympic committee says volleyball and soccer are the most popular sports for fans seeking tickets for the 2016 Games.
- Olympic sailing events may be moved from Rio's polluted bay Updated: Apr-24-15 9:02 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The world governing body of sailing threatened Friday to move all of its events for the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics out of the city's Guanabara Bay if action isn't taken quickly to clean the heavily polluted body of water that many sailors have described as an "open sewer."
- Brazilian player Jobson banned 4 years in doping case Updated: Apr-24-15 5:21 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazilian striker Jobson has been banned from football for four years for allegedly refusing to undergo a doping test while he played in Saudi Arabia.
- Foreigners who came to Brazil in boom times flee the bust Updated: Apr-24-15 11:28 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - When Frenchman Gwenel Lecourieux was gearing up to move to Brazil, the country with its swelling upper class and world-renowned hunger for luxury goods seemed like the perfect place to set up his dream business, selling high-end watches.
- AP Interview: Rio 2016 CEO on corruption, legacy budget Updated: Apr-23-15 3:36 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Sidney Levy placed his thumb and forefinger about an inch apart to illustrate the size of a book he'd just been reading.
- Silva confirms he will try to compete in 2016 Rio Olympics Updated: Apr-22-15 5:54 pm
SAO PAULO - Mixed martial arts fighter Anderson Silva will fight for a spot in the Brazilian taekwondo team at the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
- Olympic sports leaders praise Rio for getting back on track Updated: Apr-22-15 10:21 am
SOCHI, Russia - Leaders of summer Olympic sports have praised Brazilian organizers for getting preparations back on track for next year's games in Rio de Janeiro.
- Bolt wins 100 meters exhibition race in Rio Updated: Apr-19-15 1:21 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Usain Bolt won a 100-meter exhibition race Sunday in Rio de Janeiro, running a slow time of 10.12 seconds.
- Rio Olympic head says venue with fish die-off will be safe Updated: Apr-17-15 4:21 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The head of the Rio 2016 Olympic organizing committee promised Friday that the venue for rowing and canoeing would be safe despite a massive fish die-off in the small lake that will host the events.
- Bolt: 'At my best, it's ... almost impossible to beat me' Updated: Apr-17-15 1:43 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Usain Bolt has a few goals left before he retires: He wants to break his own 200-meter world record and do it by running under 19 seconds.
- Brazil eyes historic medal haul in 2016 Rio Olympics Updated: Apr-17-15 1:12 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - China thrived at the Beijing Games in 2008. Britain excelled in London in 2012. Next year, Brazil will try to show it can produce a historic performance at its home Olympics.
- Brazil police oust squatters from would-be Olympic hotel Updated: Apr-14-15 3:26 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - An operation to remove squatters from a building planned as a hotel for the 2016 Olympic games erupted into chaos on Tuesday as Brazilian police stormed in and squatters set the structure alight.
- The 'Night Games' - Many Rio 2016 events end after midnight Updated: Apr-09-15 4:06 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Rio de Janeiro is a late-night town, and the schedule for the 2016 Olympics in Brazil will cater to those who like to be up and about after dark.
- Squatters invade Rio building once billed as Olympic hotel Updated: Apr-07-15 4:24 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - A vast Art Deco residential building in Rio de Janeiro that Brazil's one-time richest man was supposed to transform into a luxury hotel ahead of the 2016 Olympics has been invaded by squatters.
- Brazilian prosecutors charge judge with embezzlement Updated: Apr-07-15 2:10 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - A Brazilian judge who was removed from the insider-trading trial of Eike Batista after he was found driving the former billionaire's Porsche now is accused of embezzling more than $350,000 from a suspected drug trafficker in a separate case.