- South Africans pray for Mandela Updated: Dec-08-13 7:20 am
- Mandela's jailer praises the anti-apartheid icon Updated: Dec-08-13 4:40 am
- Mandela: icon, hero and flawed human Updated: Dec-07-13 1:13 pm
- AP WAS THERE: Mandela's release from prison Updated: Dec-06-13 3:47 pm
- Major events in the life of Nelson Mandela Updated: Dec-05-13 5:26 pm
- Marathon runner Mthangayi facing 2nd doping ban Updated: Dec-04-13 9:02 am
- Cape Town mayor is criticized for Mandela gesture Updated: Nov-27-13 9:52 am
- Pistorius served papers with 2 more gun charges Updated: Nov-20-13 10:37 am
- AP Interview: Tygart says door open for Armstrong Updated: Nov-11-13 8:51 am
- Learning from Lance: WADA to adopt new code Updated: Nov-07-13 1:10 pm
- WADA committee to see Jamaica report next week Updated: Nov-06-13 1:50 pm
JOHANNESBURG - South Africans of all races flocked to houses of worship Sunday for a national day of prayer and reflection to honor Nelson Mandela, unified in their love for a historic figure whose funeral is expected to be one of the biggest in modern times.
CAPE TOWN, South Africa - He was with Nelson Mandela during all those years the anti-apartheid icon was imprisoned on Robben Island. And, like millions around the world, he has been hit hard by Mandela's death.
CAPE TOWN, South Africa - Force of nature. Father of all nations. A messiah of our times.
EDITOR'S NOTE - On Feb. 11, 1990, AP reporter Greg Myre was in Cape Town when Nelson Mandela was released from prison after 27 years. Mandela walked out of Victor Verster prison hand-in-hand with his then wife, Winnie, as people worldwide rejoiced. The momentous event rivaled the fall of the Berlin Wall just a few months earlier as a symbol of newfound freedom. Twenty-three years after its original publication, the AP is making this story available to its subscribers.
July 18, 1918 - Born to Hendry Mphakanyiswa, a Thembu chief, and Nosekeni Qunu in the Umtata district of the Transkei, at a time when virtually all of Africa was under European colonial rule
CAPE TOWN, South Africa - South African marathon runner Lindhikaya Mthangayi has tested positive for a banned anabolic steroid and faces a six-year ban following a previous doping offense.
JOHANNESBURG - Tis the season to be jolly - jolly critical, that is - in the South African city of Cape Town.
CAPE TOWN, South Africa - Oscar Pistorius was served with new indictment papers Wednesday containing two extra charges believed to allege that he recklessly shot his gun out the open sunroof of a car last year and fired someone else's handgun at a restaurant weeks before he killed girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.
CAPE TOWN, South Africa - Lance Armstrong must cooperate fully if he wants to win back some of his reputation and help cycling recover from its drug-stained past, the head of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency said.
CAPE TOWN, South Africa - Drawing hard lessons from the Lance Armstrong scandal, global anti-doping authorities are set to move into a new era with tougher sanctions, smarter testing and a new leader.
CAPE TOWN, South Africa - The World Anti-Doping Agency's executive committee expects to examine the report from a two-day inspection trip to Jamaica next week, director general David Howman said Wednesday.